Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Long 5 blade face splinter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Notorious View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Notorious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane Long 5 blade face splinter
    Posted: 06/24/2017 at 1:18pm
Hi,

I was removing my Hurricane from my HL5 face (old blade but perfect condition), then when I was removing the H3, there was a small splinter that came off the BLADE FACE.

What do I do? I paid close to 200 Euro for this blade and now it's damaged :( 
HL5
H3 Neo
T05
Sponsored Links

The Notorious View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Notorious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 1:21pm
Will it make a difference in playing, and will this small splinter lead to a bigger one in future?
HL5
H3 Neo
T05
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

sorry about this; it really sucks.
did you manage to delicately take the splinter residue off the sponge? then you can glue it back and seal the blade.

Happens to me a few times, never manage to get it to work, now I don't bother anymore.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 2:34pm
The HL5 needs to have a sealer on the face or it will splinter when removing rubbers.
Shifter
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 2:50pm
This is what I don't like about DHS blades. I had 2 HL5 and 2 PG7. Got splinters on 1 of each. Sold the other 2. This, despite light seal.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

This is what I don't like about DHS blades. I had 2 HL5 and 2 PG7. Got splinters on 1 of each. Sold the other 2. This, despite light seal.

wow, that is really concerning. I've only had this happen with old Stiga blades (Classic Offensive and Allround).
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 2:21am
Modern water based glues are VERY strong bonding, sometimes even a coating will not stop splintering. This is particularly troublesome with blades having a very thin outer veneer. That is why I use Elmers, I get a cleaner release. The new Nexy water based glue is less strong bonding, but I use mostly Elmers.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 3:35pm
While we're on the topic of water based glue, I am a big fan of Haifu Water Solubility Bond. I remember using it years ago back when it was in the blue bottle but my friend got some in Hong Kong and we've been loving it. All the glue sticks to the rubber and it's SO EASY to remove and I haven't damaged any sponges thus far (or my fingers from rigorous scraping for that matter lol).

Bought some from here but it has yet to arrive.
http://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=HaifuWaterGlue
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 3:41pm
To avoid the splintering problem in the future, make sure you always peel rubber from the SIDE, not from top or bottom. Going against the grain is less likely to start or loosen a splinter.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

To avoid the splintering problem in the future, make sure you always peel rubber from the SIDE, not from top or bottom. Going against the grain is less likely to start or loosen a splinter.

I also find this works. Try tearmender if you want an easier time removing rubbers.I will never use finezip again after it took many pieces out of my viscaria. Tearmender from here on out.
Carbonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
BTY Viscaria 88g
FH/Bh: MXP/Rasant
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by caratoon caratoon wrote:

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I also find this works. Try tearmender if you want an easier time removing rubbers.I will never use finezip again after it took many pieces out of my viscaria. Tearmender from here on out.

Where do you buy tearmender from? Also, can you point me to a product link for it so that I can verify that I am purchasing the right one?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 10:13pm
If you like Tearemender, the Revolution glue is like an upgrade. A little thinner, comes off sponge easier with less damage. Easy on wood as well.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2017 at 12:13pm
You can buy TM from the amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Mender-TM-1-Original-Adhesive/dp/B000BQKGR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498839119&sr=8-2&keywords=tear+mender+glue
You buy a small bottle, and then a big refill bottle to save big.

Also, I was wondering if you do or do not like to use the blade sealer. They are inexpensive, but can help prevent splintering for your expensive blade. I bought a used ML5 from a forum member who sold it for splinter problem. The first thing I did is to seal it. Then my rubber swapping with Tearmender has no issues at all.

Edited by simon_xuan - 06/30/2017 at 12:18pm
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic