Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jointless Cores and Veneers

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is it OK to have core and inner veneers made out of assembled bits?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [66.67%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [26.67%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jointless Cores and Veneers
    Posted: 06/24/2017 at 3:19pm
I wish Xiom would release an Innerlayer version of the Vega Pro, similar to the Innerforce ZLC/Apolonia.
I'd be an instant buy for me.
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 3:48pm
Most Butterfly blades that use joint Kiri core is said to be necessary, as Kiri is often uneven in density due to its fast growth.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 4:44pm
So that's why all the pros use Xiom blades, because they are jointless? Who knew?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 4:58pm
IMHO, Xiom is marketing that quality. That does not mean that the others like BTY & Nittaku don't require it in their QC as well.

I tested a brand new Xiom Vega Pro recently. It had a splinter right out of the box. Their blade weight shows HUGE variance (I had a 77g piece and a 92g piece). One vibrated a lot. The recent one did not. Their QC is clearly at least a notch below those 2 brands.

If anything, the recent BTY blades (Freitas, Garaydia series, new MJ) are even better built than their earlier blades (line Maze).

Edited by slevin - 06/24/2017 at 5:01pm
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 5:13pm
I have a Tibhar Samsonov Alpha that has one outer veneer from 2 pices and other one is 1 pice. It is a night and day difference, like its not even the same blade.
Too bad because I like that blade the most of all the blades I tried, the one side that is :)
After that disappointment I just got a viscaria..
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Most Butterfly blades that use joint Kiri core is said to be necessary, as Kiri is often uneven in density due to its fast growth.
...and if as a side effect they save money by doing so then they fall on their paws don't they? I am not buying it; or at lease it would be their job to find cores that are in one even piece; Xiom does it and that's why I consider them the true leaders of the market re. high quality and morals standards.

In the March 2014 issue of magazine Table Tennis World, there was an interview with Michael Schneider of Soulspin. Schneider briefly touched upon the topic on veneer joint, claiming that other manufacturers source ready-made veneers that are already jointed together to make plywood, but at Soulspin they source their logs, cut them themselves and splice them together. They take care of the whole process from source material to end products in-house to ensure the highest quality.

In the interview, Schneider says the Roots series uses Kiri for the core. Here is a picture of one:

Here is the question. Why don't they do it with jointless veneers?

Quote TTW:那Soulspin除了定制业务以外,还会有批量生产的产品吗?

Michael:量产的第一个客户就是Nittaku的大师系列,它的材料主要来源于意大利那边制作乐器的材料。一般常见的制作球板的材料是已经拼接好的木材,用来做夹板,而大师系列不是。我们是买的一整块木头,自己切,然后再拼接。从材料到产品,全部是由我自己亲自管理,保证产品始终处于高品质状态。

http://m.dooland.com/index.php?s=/article/id/379949/from/faxian.html

From what I read, Nittaku uses jointless Kiri for the instrument series. They don't seem to market that at all. Don't you think that's an even higher moral standard?

Edited by zeio - 06/24/2017 at 7:40pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2017 at 8:14pm
There is a review on Hadraw, in which the author notices the Hadraw has two joints in the Ayous core, and not random but located evenly on either side, which is also seen for the Innerforce and Ranunculus, noting that it has been a common trait for Butterfly blades with Ayous core released since 2009.

Is that by intention?

Check out the pics. In the comments, there is a user who comments that several DHS blades are like that too.
http://wap.happypingpang.com/talk/topic/1169/7322a480-1dd5-11b2-b522-6d906c26fc30

Edited by zeio - 06/24/2017 at 8:18pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic