FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What blade has more Catapult effect ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sidespinBH View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What blade has more Catapult effect ?
    Posted: 06/26/2017 at 8:36am
Hello guys

I would like to know what blade and rubber combo gives the more catapult effect ,has it to do with the flexibility of outer ply ?

Lets say that the rubbers are 05 on fh and 05fx on bh

Zhang jike alc
Viscaria
Freitas alc
Apolonia zlc
Garaydia zlc
Long 5

Like to hear your thoughts
Sponsored Links

h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:17am
Boll ALC has a lot
nduviscaria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nduviscaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:27am
i have viscaria,timi boll alc ,freitas ,timo boll spirit,zhang zike alc!i try hl5 and garaydia zlc -viscaria gives  the more catapult effect!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 11:09am
Garaydia ALC > ZJK/Visc > HL5 => Apolonia ZLC (depending on weight)

Basically thick hinoki vs koto vs innerforce limba blade.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 12:50pm
Thank you guys

I an surprised how the koto has more catapult effect than the limba outer ply of freitas, long 5 and apolonia
I really expected to hear the opposite. ..
I mean hinoki is more flexible than limba and koto

So hinoki of garaydia has the most catapult of all

But how is it possible for koto to have more catapult than limba ?

Can you simply justify this in few words ?
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by sidespinBH sidespinBH wrote:

Thank you guys

I an surprised how the koto has more catapult effect than the limba outer ply of freitas, long 5 and apolonia
I really expected to hear the opposite. ..
I mean hinoki is more flexible than limba and koto

So hinoki of garaydia has the most catapult of all

But how is it possible for koto to have more catapult than limba ?

Can you simply justify this in few words ?
I'm no expert on blades by any means,

But I have Viscaria and had HL5. Viscaria just felt like it had a higher pitch and larger rebound effect when hitting the ball. Probably because of the harder wood?

I think the hinoki has a higher rebound effect because the blade is over 7mm, not so much to do with the wood (in my opinion). If you hypothetically but a hinoki layer instead of koto on Viscaria, I believe it would be slower!
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 1:10pm
By higher pitch do you mean more sweet spot ? ( I didn't understand the definition )
By rebound effect do you mean bouncy? The more rebound effect means more bouncy?

Yes I believe that hinoki is slower than koto but I guess gives you more control and feeling and spin

So does the catapult has to do more with the spin produced when hitting on the opponents side of table ?
If so hinoki give the most then limba and then koto ...right ?
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 2:30pm

I felt a lot of catapult from a Soulspin Basalt which is Spruce outer I believe !
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 6:02pm
I have a zjk blade with 2 tenergy 80 but I didn't notice so much of this catapult effect, maybe a little when the rubbers where brand new
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 2:13am
I played with Spirit, Viscaria, Timo Boll ALC, Zhang Jike ALC and Zhang Jike SZLC. The most catapult effect (and generate the more spin) has definitely Zhang Jike SZLC (which has the most speed and control).
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 3:25am
Except the Zjk Szlc which else has the most catapult from higher to lower
Spefically i need a comparison between
Zjk alc Or maze - freitas or long 5-innerforce alc
Does everyone agree with smackdat's opinion above ?
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 3:56am
Except the Zjk SZLC in my opinion Timo Boll ALC has the most catapult effect.
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 5:22am
So the most catapult comes from the most hard wood outer surface ? Heard that the boll alc has the hardest feeling of all Butterfly alc blades of Viscaria family

How is this possible for koto to have more flexibility ( ,which I guess it's the ability where the catapult come from ,) than limba...?

I still don't get it.
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 4:06am
Hard outer to soft core will have more catapult than soft outer to hard core. Also bigger heads have more but depend also on the plies. Viscaria has more catapult than TBS and TB ALC.
TB ALC 86gr + D09c/T05
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 4:39am
I'm pretty sure the long 5 will have the most rebound. 

Hurricane long 5 has slightly larger head and is extremely head heavy
timo boll spirit is also head heavy i hear
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 5:55am
Thanks for the information vlad0

Though the Viscaria has a hard outer but hasn't a soft core it's kiri which is somewhat hard...

Bars the long 5 is both soft outer and soft core what happens in this case ?
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 8:51am
I think Butterfly found a sweet spot in blade construction in the Viscaria, and have been working around it in various ways ever since.  Tweak a little on the thickness here or there and give it a new name.  It has been discussed on the forum a number of time the differences between the various ALC offerings, and most seem to agree that there is often more variation in a group of Viscaria blades than there is differences between the different ALC blades.  For instance a 85 gm Viscaria doesn't play like a 95 gm Viscaria.

ZLC seems to be a new variation to address the new balls we have had forced on us, whether it is a real improvement depends on exactly what you are looking for in a blade.  

For what you are asking for, I think a Viscaria would be a good choice.  Or something similar  Smile.  For instance the hande size on the Boll blades is somewhat smaller, so if that suits just get one of them.  There are so many variables, good luck in your blade search.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
ria View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 9:15am
shlacger
Mizutani jun szlc
Dhs c-WC
Long V

Edited by ria - 06/28/2017 at 11:45am
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Johnny Erasure Johnny Erasure wrote:

I played with Spirit, Viscaria, Timo Boll ALC, Zhang Jike ALC and Zhang Jike SZLC. The most catapult effect (and generate the more spin) has definitely Zhang Jike SZLC (which has the most speed and control).

The ZJSZLC is faster AND has more spin AND has more control??
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

I think Butterfly found a sweet spot in blade construction in the Viscaria, and have been working around it in various ways ever since.  Tweak a little on the thickness here or there and give it a new name.  It has been discussed on the forum a number of time the differences between the various ALC offerings, and most seem to agree that there is often more variation in a group of Viscaria blades than there is differences between the different ALC blades.  For instance a 85 gm Viscaria doesn't play like a 95 gm Viscaria.

ZLC seems to be a new variation to address the new balls we have had forced on us, whether it is a real improvement depends on exactly what you are looking for in a blade.  

For what you are asking for, I think a Viscaria would be a good choice.  Or something similar  Smile.  For instance the hande size on the Boll blades is somewhat smaller, so if that suits just get one of them.  There are so many variables, good luck in your blade search.

ZLC long predated the new balls.  It is just a new variation.  Some people like it more than ALC, some don't.  Question of taste and to some extent, what you are used to.  Among those blades listed my advice is find one with a handle and weight you are really comfortable with.  And also try your clubmate's blades.  It is the only way to know if you like it before buying.  Words on the internet are useless and I wasted quite a bit of money before figuring that out.

(Among other things, how many people will have tried ALL of the blade the OP listed?  Assuming someone has tried one of each, it is already about $1,000!  And trying one blade of a particular model may not be all that illuminating because there is blade variability within a model.  Also, does everyone posting even agree on what is meant by "catapault effect").
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:18pm
I tried the following recently: Viscaria, Zhang Jike ALC, Boll ALC, Innerforce Layer ZLC. All of them had a T05 or T05FX on. In addition, there was another Viscaria and another Timo Boll ALC from another player with MXP on.

I least cared for the Boll ALC as it was the least catapulty with a dull feel and hence the slowest. The Viscaria was noticeably faster with a springy feel. The bloke who has both a Viscaria and a Boll ALC clearly prefers Viscaria because as he says he has to work less to make an effective stroke.

Personally I prefer the Zhang Jike ALC by a mile over the Boll ALC and Viscaria. It has a sharper feel than both and at least the speed of the Viscaria, maybe a tad more.

However, none of the above compares to the Innerforce Layer ZLC which is a wonder. It is not catapulty at low impact but becomes very much so at higher speeds and it it is perfectly predictable.

I remember trying someone's Boll ZLC about 2 years ago. That is very rigid and rather srpingy and from memory, faster than the Innerforce ZLC.

If the OP wants catapult, I would go with one of the ZLC's.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 7:03am
Hey guys that's the word I was looking for : SPRINGY BLADE

By this definition I mean that when the ball hits the opponent's side of table it accelerates more based more on the extra spin and it seems to travel faster so you can assume it has more speed too.

This way I believe that i will cause more trouble to my opponents...

Baal I wish I had the opportunity to try each one of them by club teammates but unfortunately they don't own so expensive blades ,I only had tried primorac carbon, boll spirit and schlager carbon
No boll or zhang jike or freitas alc not even 1 zlc blade .
Furthermore there is no tt store in my place where I can test handle shapes...

That's why I am asking your opinion from what you have tested to come closer to the right choice for me

The more you search the more the questions ,
Should I go to zlc Hans? You mean that they have more gears and are more springy than zjk alc and Viscaria ? Do you lack the feel because of the increased hardness ?
Whats your opinio the zhang jike zlc or szlc ?
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by sidespinBH sidespinBH wrote:

The more you search the more the questions ,
Should I go to zlc Hans? You mean that they have more gears and are more springy than zjk alc and Viscaria ? Do you lack the feel because of the increased hardness ?
Whats your opinio the zhang jike zlc or szlc ?

I would not like to talk you into buying such an expensive blade and neither do I want to make you believe that such a blade will make you more effective or a better player. I know of a player who used to be on the national team and he recently bought himself a Zhang Jike ALC, not one of the ZLC's.  Another player who is very skilled but still not on that level recently downgraded his blade to a plain Primorac OFF- because he is no longer able  get as much practice as before.

Ask yourself whether you really need to throw out a lot of money.

As for the Innerforce ZLC vs Viscaria / ZJK ALC: I can do  any kind of loop with almost any blade I am given provided there is a reasonable rubber on it. Myself and the other people I mentioned above agreed that the ZLC has a much better feel and general playing properties than the Viscaria or the Boll ALC. It really shines on blocks. In my eye, the ZLC definitely is more springy than the ALCs you mention. The Innerforce ZLC does not lack feel at all. The Boll ZLC is a different story, you have got to be very skilled to handle that. I have not had a hit with any SZLC.

The key is service receive. You need a blade that you are able to receive tight with.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 06/29/2017 at 8:19am
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 8:55am
It is very hard to compare blades over the internet...the best you can do is get information on what others prefer.  What we can't tell you is whether a ALC or ZLC will feel/perform better for you. 

The best you are going to get from reading about the differences is the ability to make a somewhat more informed decision before you buy.  Like Hans says some of the better players in our area have changed to the ZLC, and seem quite happy with them.  Others have stuck with the ALC blades.  I don't think either choice has had a major impact on their playing level or on their ability to produce quality shots.  Most chose their blade with the help of a local coach who could guide them in the process and recommend something suitable for their play style.  

The touch shots like serve and return are key.  

Other options if possible might be for you to attend a tournament where there is an equipment vendor, or plan a stop while vacationing where the is a TT store.  The blades you are considering are a considerable investment, any possibility that allows you to see or test them before buying would greatly improve your chance of getting something you'll be happy with.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 9:12am
Thanks man

I agree every blade of the listed above is quite expensive ,but the thing here is from my point of view to find the right combination that's suits everybodys style individually and see improvement, get acustomed to it and stay with it for long time ,rather than changing every since and then which maybe costs more in terms of money,time and frustration

So I would like to investigate more on zlc vs alc stuff and it would be much appreciated if you could post a link here regarding this comparison.

The only thing I heard is that zlc is harder than alc ,which maybe leads to a loss of feeling ,but you deny that

Hope other who are experienced with zlc post their opinion here
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 11:38am
I can't agree with Hans comments. I own both a Boll ALC as well as a Apolonia ZLC (which is very similar to the IF ZLC) and I've owned a Mizutani SZLC. The SZLC was more direct in my opinion. Besides on super hard loops, the Apo ZLC has a less pronounced throw than the ALC blades in my opinion. When you really give it the beans, the Apo will produce more throw because of the composition but by and large I would describe the Boll ALC as overall higher throw.

As you can easily see it will again very much depend on the player. I might sell both so you can buy and test them ;)

Edited by h0n1g - 06/29/2017 at 11:40am
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 1:12pm
Freitas flexes more than Viscaria.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 1:53pm
I like the Viscaria the best (have used it for ten years, I own too many of them).  I think it optimizes pretty much every variable (some of which are trade-offs).  The handle could be just a little larger for me but grip wrap solves the problem completely.  It is springy enough.  Fast enough.  Control enough.  Soft enough.  Balanced enough.  It is like driving a BMW 3 series. 

I have also tried the ZJK ALC (have owned four), it is rather similar, but falls just short in overall ball feeling and general usability (which is probably why ZJK does not use a ZJK blade).  It also costs more for no good reason.

I think ZLC blades are fine but are way too expensive for whatever advantage they might give you, and some people like the feel of ALC blades better (I do).  If there was no such thing as ALC, I would use ZLC for sure.

I have no good idea what the others are like.  Assuming the Freitas is a bit like a Maze and a Garaydia is a bit like an Iolite, the Freitas would be good too if you like the handle.  I liked the blade itself in a Maze (I was never that concerned with whether the outer surface was limba or koto, I could easily get used to either one).  But I hated the Maze handle.  That will depend on your hand size and grip and the Freitas handle looks from pictures to be more conventional. 

The Iolite was very fast and stiff, even though the feeling of ball impact was kind of soft (and the handle seemed to be made for smallish teenage Asian girls).  It never really caught on.  I have found in the past that blades with that kind of construction are totally horrible in the short game.   Garaydia may well be also and I can't see how making it with zylon instead of arylate would fix that.  Take that with a grain of salt, though, because I haven't tried it.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 5:01pm
Garaydia with ZLC is basically an Amultart with a different handle.  I like both blades.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Garaydia with ZLC is basically an Amultart with a different handle.  I like both blades.

Isn't that a bit too fast with tensors / T05? What rubbers did you try with it? Does it work well with H3 Neo (if you have used it with the blade)?

Edited by slevin - 06/29/2017 at 5:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic