Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Chinese rubbers have to be boosted?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Originally posted by el luchador el luchador wrote:

guys, boosting/juicing is illegal.

If you are going to break the rules anyway why not do it right and use some real stuff like speed glue 

Because we all want to be gluing every day all day!

only if you are a professional playing international competitions.

for making the rubber more lively and fast, juicing the rubber with solvents will last for up to a week before it falls off
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

First, they don't make speedglue the way it was meant to be glued anymore. TSP speedglue. Butterfly speedglue. No more.

Second, they don't make rubbers the way it was meant to be glued anymore. Old H3. Bryce Hard. No more.

you can make your own speed glue as good as or better than the old stuff with parts readily available at ace hardware/ lowes etc

2. as someone who uses chinese rubber exclusively I can tell you that almost any tacky chinese rubber will respond to speed glue well.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 1:06am
Damn.  Are we talking about the sport once proudly calling itself table tennis, or some sort of grotesque twenty-first century alchemy, turning Hurricane Neo whatever from merely the fastest spinniest rubber on the planet into something that table tennis humankind has never before encountered but which will doubtless be surpassed by its descendants and their descendant boosters?

Can anybody play this game anymore without having to be some sort of friggin' Professor Irwin Corey searching evermore and evermore for the Holy Grail which will impart all the technological acumen that science can bring to bear for ever and ever for ever and ever hallelujah amen to the Chernobylized megaradiated wasteland that could once call itself a sport?

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/30/2017 at 6:07am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 6:55am
Has anyone tried regluing boosted rubber?

I boosted H3neo and stuck it onto my back up blade and want to stick it onto my main blade as a replacement for my old fh.

Presumably the booster would have already soaked into the sponge so regluing (including removing the residue) wouldn't hamper the boosting effect, right?

Would appreciate any feedback before I take action. Thanks :)
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 7:17am
If your rubber shrink then you will need to reboots.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

Has anyone tried regluing boosted rubber?

I boosted H3neo and stuck it onto my back up blade and want to stick it onto my main blade as a replacement for my old fh.

Presumably the booster would have already soaked into the sponge so regluing (including removing the residue) wouldn't hamper the boosting effect, right?

Would appreciate any feedback before I take action. Thanks :)

sometimes booster will hide the smell of speedglue

Edited by bbkon - 09/30/2017 at 11:00am
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 4:51pm
I'm not trying to speed glue it. I'm just trying to migrate it from one blade to another and wonder if I need to boost it again.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Damn.  Are we talking about the sport once proudly calling itself table tennis, or some sort of grotesque twenty-first century alchemy, turning Hurricane Neo whatever from merely the fastest spinniest rubber on the planet into something that table tennis humankind has never before encountered but which will doubtless be surpassed by its descendants and their descendant boosters?

Can anybody play this game anymore without having to be some sort of friggin' Professor Irwin Corey searching evermore and evermore for the Holy Grail which will impart all the technological acumen that science can bring to bear for ever and ever for ever and ever hallelujah amen to the Chernobylized megaradiated wasteland that could once call itself a sport?

yes, you could pay $80 a sheet for tenergy 05 and have no need to boost.

Problem solved. think about it.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 9:35pm

i am very happy with Sanewei Target National and Rasant. 

Really, zero complaints.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 8:56am

The sport has certainly morphed into some bizarre equipment game which is undoubtedly one of the reasons the game has limited popularity. It is also one of the reasons Tenergy dominates. It is the safe place to go among 1000s of junk permutations. I was thinking about getting Tenergy as my next rubber because I'm tired if hunting for rubber and then throwing it away, but $150 for two pieces of rubber???

It was better when it was just Sriver, Mark V, and some rock hard Double Happiness. Everyone was playing with the same equipment and it was more a game of skill and less a game of equipment.

Edited by richrf - 10/03/2017 at 8:57am
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:30pm
I had better put my 6pence in, I find most players I know of at a  club level will leave their Chinese rubber on their blade with no boosting/tuning or re-gluing for the life of the rubber, which could be years

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:37pm
The same here
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I had better put my 6pence in, I find most players I know of at a  club level will leave their Chinese rubber on their blade with no boosting/tuning or re-gluing for the life of the rubber, which could be years

Are you guys sure about this? I play in the NY area where there are tons of high level players using DHS, and everyone I've asked tells me they boost. Without boosting, at least with the DHS, you might as well just play with a piece of lumber. I tried using Chinese without boosting for a while and the control and spin was great, only I was exhausted trying to win a point. There was no gear to go to either spin or speed. Of course, boosted it is a different story which is why they are all boosting in competition. Maybe it is just NY?

Edited by richrf - 10/03/2017 at 5:48pm
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 7:04pm
I boost mine TG3NEO and truly enjoy it, but I can't recall anyone else who is doing it. At least in my club.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 4:56pm
The answer is yes. 

Chinese rubbers have to be boosted in order to be used.  If you don't boost the rubber, you cannot play with it.  Pig
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:16pm
In fact it would be immoral to not boost it.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

In fact it would be immoral to not boost it.

A point that needs to be raised with the ITTF.
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 10:26pm
Yes, it must be boosted.  Otherwise it is so dead that no matter how hard you hit the ball with perfect technique it will not be possible to even clear the net.  That is what it seems some would have you think.

But no, it absolutely does not need to be boosted.  I use it un-boosted as do a few other players in my club.  None of us boost it.  If you are looking for a linear rubber that gives exactly what you put in, slow and controlled in the short game, a powerhouse on power shots, with every gear in between.  Then use it un-boosted.  If I wanted a rubber that was fast and spinny even without a powerful stroke I would get a tensor rubber, but the very reasons I like Chinese rubbers are the things you get from them non-boosted.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by hungry cow hungry cow wrote:

Yes, it must be boosted.  Otherwise it is so dead that no matter how hard you hit the ball with perfect technique it will not be possible to even clear the net.  That is what it seems some would have you think.

But no, it absolutely does not need to be boosted.  I use it un-boosted as do a few other players in my club.  None of us boost it.  If you are looking for a linear rubber that gives exactly what you put in, slow and controlled in the short game, a powerhouse on power shots, with every gear in between.  Then use it un-boosted.  If I wanted a rubber that was fast and spinny even without a powerful stroke I would get a tensor rubber, but the very reasons I like Chinese rubbers are the things you get from them non-boosted.

Disagreed!
H3 original is fast enough unboosted. The matter is your technic.
The reason we are here all have different feeling because we all have different CN rubbers.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2017 at 2:01am
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Disagreed!
The reason we are here all have different feeling because we all have different CN rubbers.

..is fast enough for amateurs not pros
panany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2017 at 6:53pm
For me yes h3 neo ned be boosted :) i use h3 neo with booster for my forehand , and this is my best shot haha

I habe very bad backhand :( i know only how bloc haha

Edited by panany - 10/05/2017 at 6:54pm
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Disagreed!

99% members here are not pro.

There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:48am
I think the main advantage of boosting for the average player is the resulting improved feeling. With better feedback of the rubber, it is easier to appropriately gauge one's swings and thus it facilitates improvement.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 10:10am
there are only two ways of cheating in table tennis.

boosting and illegal serving.

very sad!!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 10:19am
"there are only two ways of cheating in table tennis.

boosting and illegal serving.

very sad!!"

- calling the wrong score. (usually it favors them) LOL
- calling net/edge when there was none.
- calling a let for no reason at all.
- switching rackets in the middle of a game!!! LOLLOL

FdT

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:13am

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Disagreed!

99% members here are not pro.

I think 100% of members here aren't pros. LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 1:32pm
Many are pros.

Just not in table tennis.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 1:33pm
William Henzell posted here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 8:15am
unboosted chinese rubber is great for beginners. 
it is very direct, ie the rubber does what you make it do, it doesnt add any personality of its own.

I use slow tacky chinese rubber mostly. in the last three months my rating went from 1365 to 1677 using $5 unboosted rubbers

I noticed that as I was playing a higher level of players, my chinese rubber seems to put me at a disadvantage. Its not fast enough to stress the opponent, but not slow enough to be a pure defensive rubber. the opponents ball is coming back to me quick, and I have no answer,

for grins I decided to juice my rubbers since I have some solvents at home.
WHOA NELLY! HOLY Speed n spin batman. 
with a boosted rubber I can step back three feet from my normal position and still have more speed and spin on the ball than the unboosted rubber. 
on the backhand, a flick of the wrist returns a faster ball than a full stroke with unboosted rubber. 

now I understand why ALL the pros were juicing when it was legal, and why ALL the pros using chinese rubbers are STILL boosting- the advantage of a boosted rubber is that huge.

BTW, speed glue and boost are NOT illegal in club play so boost to your hearts content if you are a club player.

one thing I like about boosted chinese rubber vs european rubber is the feel. it feels so good and still so much control- until you put a little swing behind it and then watch out.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

William Henzell posted here.

As does Dan Seemiller on occasion, who in his prime had a much higher world ranking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic