Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Chinese rubbers have to be boosted?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
tabletennisfire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennisfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Chinese rubbers have to be boosted?
    Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:09pm
Hi,

Am new to the concept of Chinese rubbers (example DHS) and never owned one. I have been reading a lot about them lately and came to the conclusion that all Chinese rubbers in order to be potentially usable have to be boosted every couple (3-4) months? Is my conclusion right?
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:18pm
No, You don't have to Tongue
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:26pm
If you are in good shape and/or below 30 then by all means go ahead and play with them unboosted, if your are a hobby player like most of us on here, you are better off boosting
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2017 at 11:16pm
I personally do not boost mine but I always play it on a fairly fast blade and the softest version. To rocketman's point I'm 22 lol.

Most will tell you that you get the most out of boosting it but I honestly can't complain about the rubber in it's current state. I use provincial Orange sponge 38 degrees.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 12:56am
It really depends on who you are.

Once, I was debating boosting, when a man who often gives me tips said "the boost comes from you". I agreed, and decided to not boost. And I use the hardest version available. I use H3 provincial blue sponge, 41 degrees, 2.2 mm, and still bottom it out on a regular basis. I don't boost because I do not want the rubber any softer than it is, I can generate the power myself. Like rocketman said, I am a kid. I don't consider myself as being in exceptional shape, but I am certainly not out of shape.

Another reason I don't boost is because I don't have money. Boosting is expensive. Again, I am a kid, and am too young to work at most places. It is an extra expense that I cannot afford. It also kills the rubber faster.

Another guy I know boosts everything, even rubbers like Tenergy, which I find too soft to use even before boosting. He doesn't lose anything from this, he gains from it. His shot selection and power benefit from boosting, and mine don't.

Everybody will have different things they want from their rubber, so if you need what boosting supplies, boost.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 1:04am
Well said, Meow, well said.  Though I will say your 10mm Cypress certainly add a fair amount of boost to your play, no doubt.  Thumbs Up  I used to use a 9mm 1-ply hinoki with TG2 Neo on both sides and there was no lack of boost there even on half-effort shots.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 1:37am
I am not planning to boost any rubbers, at least for now. My question is, what is the best way to utilize Chinese rubbers, like Hurricane 3 NEO, without boosting them? Harder blades or softer blades? Flex or not flex? etc. 
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 2:07am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

I am not planning to boost any rubbers, at least for now. My question is, what is the best way to utilize Chinese rubbers, like Hurricane 3 NEO, without boosting them? Harder blades or softer blades? Flex or not flex? etc. 

Conventional knowledge advises flexible blades for Chinese rubbers. Fairly fast all wood blades like the Avalox P700, Clipper and Clipper CR (maybe Infinity?) play well with Hurricane 3. I've never tried them but I'd also assume the Ma Long and Fang Bo blades by DHS play well using the same logic due to the carbon layers being deeper into the blade creating a more wood-like feel, but added power on hard shots when you engage the blade more.

Personally, I can't go any harder than medium hard for Chinese rubbers because I need good feeling to play with it effectively. I'm using an old Stiga carbon blade with limba outer plies atm but will give the Carbonado 145 a whirl when mine arrives in the mail.

Edited by iamj8 - 06/27/2017 at 2:09am
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 3:55am
Chinese rubbers do not HAVE to be boosted, but you're pretty much supposed to boost them.
They are meant to be boosted. It's so hard to use them if they're not boosted. Also, not every 3-4 months lol. More like every 3 weeks to 1 month.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 10:59am
Thanks imj8. 
MLfan: if one time boost can last 6 months, I will try. For every 3 weeks to one month, I just don't have that much initiative. :) Someone should offer a rubber boosting service so people can send in their rubbers. 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

Have a look at Yinhe Big Dipper/Yasaka Shining Dragon
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 12:49pm
Yeah the Clipper and Clipper CR are used by many high level Chinese players. Don't use the WRB system since it makes the racket super head heavy.
tabletennisfire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennisfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 10:10pm
Thank you all for the responses.
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 10:52pm
Boosting isnt expensive. All you need to do is buy some Johnsons baby oil LOL

You can keep boosting at least 6 months or 1 year.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 11:11pm
No you don't Have to boost them.

I've tried boosting and I don't feel there is enough difference to bother with it. (Yes, the rubber will feel a little bit livelier but you also lose some level of control) Plus, some sheets might develop bubbles (a couple of mine did), and boosting your sheets shortens their life span. I am opting to boosting once a virgin sheet starts to feel dead after many many months of use. Then I'll boost it to get some extra mileage.

I use Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge on my FH. I don't boost my BH rubber at all.

FdT
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by man_iii man_iii wrote:

Boosting isnt expensive. All you need to do is buy some Johnsons baby oil LOL

You can keep boosting at least 6 months or 1 year.

I've read this before about baby oil. I may have to give it a try on my H3 BS.

Edited by DLC1325 - 06/27/2017 at 11:54pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:20am
Baby oil is useless. You want something that gives you real effect, not something that just results in a piece of bloated rubber. Serious players have gotta try the Seamoon, at the very least. If you feel real enthusiastic, there is the US$50 a bottle(100ml) of yellow oil or black oil to try.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:34am
No, they don't, you just might need a fast hard blade.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 7:05am
would you think a stratus Powerwood would be fast enough for a 15 year old with hurricane 3 neo on fh.

IMO and experience the 15 year old player really well with h3n on stratus, however when he is a bit tired or off his game he offers too many easy balls

however when he plays close to the table and really loops fast he can be devastating ans very spinny with difficult trajectories.

this is very difficult to maintain for a tournament and is quite exhausting for him.

as far as I know he is the only cadet in England top 50 who uses hurricane 3 neo?

personally I think he should try tenergy 05 of evolution el-s so he can spin but also hit harder and faster when necessary
he seems to prefer dropping off the table a little bit

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

would you think a stratus Powerwood would be fast enough for a 15 year old with hurricane 3 neo on fh.

IMO and experience the 15 year old player really well with h3n on stratus, however when he is a bit tired or off his game he offers too many easy balls

however when he plays close to the table and really loops fast he can be devastating ans very spinny with difficult trajectories.

this is very difficult to maintain for a tournament and is quite exhausting for him.

as far as I know he is the only cadet in England top 50 who uses hurricane 3 neo?

personally I think he should try tenergy 05 of evolution el-s so he can spin but also hit harder and faster when necessary

Have a look at ALC blades for H3 Neo, or consider boosting with 1-2 layers?

Fang Bo 2 or Samsonov Stratus Carbon are great limba/alc blades
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:27am

On close to the table looping???  That can be a lot of things but it should not be exhausting, especially for a 15 yo.  This is not an equipment problem and it will not have an equipment fix.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:40am

Everyone is enamored with H3N because that's what the CNT is using.  But players ignore the fact that what the CNT uses (rubber, sponge, "factory" tuning, etc.) is not exactly available to the general public.  Plus they are fit athletes to begin with.  I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2.

No need for messy self tuning and also great mid court capabilities.  And tell him to stop covering his serves Smile

mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

On close to the table looping???  That can be a lot of things but it should not be exhausting, especially for a 15 yo.  This is not an equipment problem and it will not have an equipment fix.

I disagree, if you're playing all day and putting 100% into loops with h3n its certainly a lot more tiring than using a tensor.
although I agree it should not be a problem for a 15 year old. maybe if he ate his vegetables and fruit and went to bed at a sensible time and did not go on his phone late at night and then trained 10 hours a week it would be ok
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:25pm
"Everyone is enamored with H3N because that's what the CNT is using.  But players ignore the fact that what the CNT uses (rubber, sponge, "factory" tuning, etc.) is not exactly available to the general public."

That's your assumption. A friend let me borrow his racket with Hurricane 3 BS and it felt really good. I had tried the commercial version of Hurricane 3, with the orange sponge and THAT one felt like a brick so I was skeptical at first. But the Blue sponge was different. So I bought a sheet from him. Best rubber I've ever tried on my FH. Even if it was a fake one, it was still better than all the other sheets I had tried. So I use because I tried it and liked it, not b/c the CNT uses it.

FdT

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"Everyone is enamored with H3N because that's what the CNT is using.  But players ignore the fact that what the CNT uses (rubber, sponge, "factory" tuning, etc.) is not exactly available to the general public."

That's your assumption. A friend let me borrow his racket with Hurricane 3 BS and it felt really good. I had tried the commercial version of Hurricane 3, with the orange sponge and THAT one felt like a brick so I was skeptical at first. But the Blue sponge was different. So I bought a sheet from him. Best rubber I've ever tried on my FH. Even if it was a fake one, it was still better than all the other sheets I had tried. So I use because I tried it and liked it, not b/c the CNT uses it.

FdT

Some of the Blue Sponge H3's are absolutely amazing for those of us with less than CNT training. They are usually very "booster friendly" and perform at peak for a few weeks.

But, as discussed ad infinitum, those blue sponge variants aren't usually commercial offerings, and frequently have short lifespans. I'd almost argue that because those BS variants play so well for mortals, and generally run softer than what the pros use, the chance of fakery is very high.

Especially since they usually cost more than legitimate DHS product.

Edited by icontek - 07/02/2017 at 6:34pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2017 at 4:52pm

FdT

I'm pretty sure loads of the CNT women use orange sponge national H3 Neo right? And FTW

Edited by SmackDAT - 07/01/2017 at 4:52pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

FdT

I'm pretty sure loads of the CNT women use orange sponge national H3 Neo right? And FTW

Yup, the orange sponge doesn't require as much self-power.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2017 at 2:57pm
"I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2."

Can anyone without an agenda of selling a particular rubber compare the Haifu rubber with the H3 BS please? 

FdT.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2017 at 4:13pm

"I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2."

Can anyone without an agenda of selling a particular rubber compare the Haifu rubber with the H3 BS please? 

FdT.
Seems like the lower performance rubber vs H3 BS/H3 orange, Liu Shiwen and Samsonov used to use Grip-S (clone of BW2) before changing to H3 BS and MXP respectively! No pros currently use it if that's anything to go by

Edited by SmackDAT - 07/02/2017 at 4:14pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2017 at 9:35pm

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">"I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2."</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Can anyone without an agenda of selling a particular rubber compare the Haifu rubber with the H3 BS please? </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">FdT.</span>

I read that BW doesnt last.any can confirm and who sells a good BW sheet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic