FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade Speed Comparison Sheet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2017 at 7:08pm
Indeed, Higgs is 7-ply and advertised as fast, so I was puzzled about my Higgs being rather slow. But the frequency I measured seems to confirm this. Maybe my blade got damaged. It would be interesting if you could measure the frequencies of your blades, so we can compare.
BTW, I'm not a Pro either, and probably not even an "advanced" amateur.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 11:22am
Was out sick for a while. Finally fully updated the list with arg0s latest data set. Thanks a lot for that, it's a lot of good data.

I'm pretty excited to see the amount of blades in this 'database' by now. Good work everyone who contributed!
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Was out sick for a while. Finally fully updated the list with arg0s latest data set. Thanks a lot for that, it's a lot of good data.

I'm pretty excited to see the amount of blades in this 'database' by now. Good work everyone who contributed!

i have a clipper and a eb7.some rubbers make the eb7 slower than clipper while eb7 is off+ and clipper is off.do you know why?
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 9:45pm
Sheet is updated. I measured an authentic DHS W968. Very interesting to see the comparison with the HL5. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 11:11pm
Thanks. Really appreciate all of your efforts.
windysummer1 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysummer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:55pm
so which blade is the fastest so far (NOT including 1-ply hinoki)? xiom axelo?
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 12:26am
updated with lots of new blades. Starting to become a real collection
vispowerspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vispowerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 12:30pm
Hypotheses is spelt wrong
W968
FH: T05
BH: T05
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by vispowerspin vispowerspin wrote:

Hypotheses is spelt wrong

No, "hypotheses" is spelled right.
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vispowerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 11:38am
Hahaha, hypotheses is the correct spelling. In the spreadsheet it is written as "hypothises"
W968
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 3:19pm
I have fixed this important error.
Aakiraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aakiraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 6:18pm
this sounds very interesting.
if you send all the blades to me i'll do FRF analysis with LDV or at least accelerometers. ;-) 

h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 7:58pm
updated.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 11:40pm
updated
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 1:50pm
updated. Sorry for the long wait but with Christmas and Holidays, it took a little while.
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:10am
I just saw this thread and the spreadsheet! Amazing work everybody! I am amazed to see such comparison between blades of different brands and I guess the frequency-speed blade correlation will at least give an order of magnitude for players and professional EJs to compare blades. 

After seeing the data I can concur the subjective perception of speed of the following blades which I have owned in the past or that I currently use matches proportionally with their obtained frequency results :

- Schlager Carbon
- Primorac Carbon
- M. Maze
- OC CR
- Clipper Classic
- Clipper CR
- Energy wood
- Butterfly Korbel

I have been a member of this forum for a long time and I think this is one of the most useful topics ever created here.

Edited by Sabito - 01/11/2018 at 11:12am
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:54am
Blades by Charlie  Flashdrive: 1402 hz (88g)
Sanwei Fextra: 1325 hz (82g)

Reference blade (everything else was measured in the same way, so this should help compare my results to those of others), Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon: 1536hz (82g)

Edited by ohwell - 01/11/2018 at 11:57am
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 12:13pm
I put in some recently acquired Butterfly ZLC and SZLC blades using the submission form.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2018 at 1:46pm
updated
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 1:49pm
updated. It's starting to become a nice collection of data!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vispowerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 2:47pm
Just a suggestion, I know you have the legend near the top but perhaps include the manufacturer's claimed play characteristic (from DEF to OFF+) and the conclusive test results (elucidated from freq. testing) beside the blade? I think this might make it easier to compare rather than scrolling up and down

Edit: and you may also want to test your hypothesis sooner or later (I think the amount of data is enough) by running some statistics to prove it either right or wrong. Simplistically, you can do a students t-test. Just some suggestions though Smile

Edited by vispowerspin - 01/31/2018 at 2:59pm
W968
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 8:53pm

Just a suggestion, I know you have the legend near the top but perhaps include the manufacturer's claimed play characteristic (from DEF to OFF+) and the conclusive test results (elucidated from freq. testing) beside the blade? I think this might make it easier to compare rather than scrolling up and down

The issue is that different manufacturers use different categories, some from DEF- to OFF++, some a small selection. If I remember well, Nittaku almost exclusively uses DEF and OFF (Violin is OFF; there's a handful of relatively unknown Nittaku ALL blades).

Edit: and you may also want to test your hypothesis sooner or later (I think the amount of data is enough) by running some statistics to prove it either right or wrong. Simplistically, you can do a students t-test. Just some suggestions though Smile

I'm a bit rusty on statistics, but why would you use a Student's t? that's the most wrongly used statistical test in medical literature... It's for comparing two groups having a normal distribution. Here we have two variables measuring the same property (speed), one of them being ordinal (ordered categories). You need a non-parametric correlation analysis, such as Spearman or Kendall rank correlation.
To be correct, you would need to perform this analysis "per manufacturer", or normalise the categories and factor in that some Manufacturers may be more accurate than others.

I did some correlation analysis with other measures of blade speed, such as those disclosed by Nexy or TTGearLab and there definitely is correlation (p<<0.05). See this post.

Edited by arg0 - 01/31/2018 at 8:57pm
Join the Nexy Clan!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vispowerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2018 at 1:35pm
Yes I understand that each manufacturer use different categories but the goal of this spreadsheet is to normalize the categories by the given frequencies, no? Nonetheless, I think it would be helpful to see what the manufacturers’ measured/claimed and compare it to what we observed and measured (from the frequencies).

You are right, historically the t-test was inappropriately used in medical literature, however, we aren’t doing anything medical here are we? I only suggested the t-test due to its simplicity and the fact it can be quickly done in Microsft Excel. Additionally, I thought the focus here was to group/categorize blades with the given frequencies, based on the hypothetical claim/rationale. Nonethless, the t-test is still robust and widely used in the scientific community (it is also first hand used to quickly check if there are any significance at all).

However, I do agree with you, if we get down to it (scientifically) with the variables given a 2 or 3 way ANOVA (depends on what you want to compare) should be conducted in conjunction with a statistical correlational analysis. You are also right with the fact that the comparisons should be done as per manufacturer or if comparison among all the blades then a ‘housekeeping’ (most accurate and precise) manufacturer should be selected for the normalization. The question is, which company should be selected and would we be introducing bias? I’m not sure if there are any statisticians here but in order to do these analyses we also need reputable licensed programs/softwares and the problem with this is they’re generally not available to the community (require hundreds of dollars, or subscriptions) - that is, unless you painstakingly and tediously conduct all the math, but how precise and accurate would one be compared to a licensed program? This gets rather complicated and I doubt its required since were not publishing any report on Nature or any other scientific journals.

Edited by vispowerspin - 02/01/2018 at 1:36pm
W968
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 2:16am
First time I really got surprised today: Joola ZeleBRO, 90g, clocking in at 1526hz. Faster than a TB ALC
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 9:52am

First time I really got surprised today: Joola ZeleBRO, 90g, clocking in at 1526hz. Faster than a TB ALC

Do you find it slower than TB ALC?
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 11:00am
I haven't played w it yet. Just got it yesterday. But from all descriptions and the materials, I would've thought it's slightly slower or even to the TB, not 100hz higher.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 4:51pm
Hi I tried this in App store Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO and only a $5.99 one came up is there
a version not in Android?

I have a 100 blades in front of me and I can pot around when not busy
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2018 at 5:19pm
any good FREE iphone apps? 

i have tried Audio Spectrum Analyzer HD but it does not store the numbers/chart. I had to keep looking at the screen while bouncing the ball. it does show the peak value.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2018 at 9:40pm
updated sheet
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2018 at 11:05pm

I haven't played w it yet. Just got it yesterday. But from all descriptions and the materials, I would've thought it's slightly slower or even to the TB, not 100hz higher.

Frequency is a measure of stiffness not speed.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic