FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

When are we getting Orange Balls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When are we getting Orange Balls?
    Posted: 07/07/2017 at 7:00pm
I haven't frequented this forum much the past couple years like I used to. Maybe I missed something.

How is it that we've had the plastic balls this long, and still don't have orange ones? 

They've used two tone balls on multiple occasions, dating back to the CSL finals the first year that we started using plastic. So if those balls were fine I don't understand how you can make the case that a full orange ball isn't.

So what gives? Anyone have the info? 
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2017 at 8:48pm
According to Torsten Kueneth of ITTF, "[The manufacturers] have spent the past months with what we requested from them: To finalize research and development on the remaining issues such as durability (and some did so by even working on two types of material).  This has of course been time-consuming, and for this reason, adding the orange balls still could not have priority for them. However, ITTF's guidance on this topic did not change: Orange non-celluloid balls will be approved by ITTF just as orange celluloid balls, and are expected to appear in the future."

This is from a thread on OOAK forum and that comment was from May 16,  2016 (over a year ago).  It seems that he is referring to the development of ABS balls by DHS and DF (since Nittaku already had theirs out by then).  They are now selling their balls, although it may be that they are not at full production capacity yet.

Nittaku always sold their premium celluloid balls in orange, but even they don't have an orange ABS ball. 

I guess the answer is nobody knows. 

Edit added:  He has been asked again about orange balls, we will see what he says.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2017 at 9:36pm
few companies made orange training balls already

Edited by Egghead - 07/07/2017 at 9:38pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2017 at 9:38pm

Why use orange training balls when Tournaments use white ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2017 at 9:53pm
If you are playing in a place with white walls, for example. 
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2017 at 11:48pm
I think orange celluloid balls were never approved for tournaments, right?  Any chance that plastic orange balls could eventually be approved for tournaments?  They look better against the blue table background, they seem to be easier on the eyes, and they should be easier to see and follow on TV. 

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

I think orange celluloid balls were never approved for tournaments, right?  Any chance that plastic orange balls could eventually be approved for tournaments?  They look better against the blue table background, they seem to be easier on the eyes, and they should be easier to see and follow on TV. 

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I'd love for orange balls (complementary to blue table top) to be used in tournaments. Easier for both players and spectators to see/track.
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 2:29am
Couldn't agree more that orange balls are much easier to see.  This is also why I preferred them.

Why weren't the orange celluloid balls allowed in tournaments back in the day?
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 3:09am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

Couldn't agree more that orange balls are much easier to see.  This is also why I preferred them.

Why weren't the orange celluloid balls allowed in tournaments back in the day?

Coz camera can't see them clearly
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 3:31am
I hate them....hopefully never . Plastic balls = sh... Plastic orange balls = big sh....
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 6:45am
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

I think orange celluloid balls were never approved for tournaments, right?

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64754&PID=776180&title=why-dont-we-use-yellow-balls#776180

Check out videos from '92, '96 Olypmics and '91, '93 WTTC. The orange ball "disappears" from time to time.

Edited by zeio - 07/08/2017 at 7:00am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 10:37am
I can see why they are not used in pro tournaments were lighting conditions are ideal. Amateurs often have to play in conditions where orange balls can help. Where I play white is best. But this is not not the case everywhere. In fact you could use any ITTF approved ball in a USATT tournament I believe, and orange ones were approved.
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 11:09am
How about dual-color balls?  Orange/White, or Lime-Green/White, or Orange/Lime-Green, ...  You could judge incoming spin better too ...  

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I can see why they are not used in pro tournaments were lighting conditions are ideal. Amateurs often have to play in conditions where orange balls can help. Where I play white is best. But this is not not the case everywhere. In fact you could use any ITTF approved ball in a USATT tournament I believe, and orange ones were approved.

Edited by BigFatLoop - 07/08/2017 at 11:38am
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 11:52am

The ITTF should approve optic yellow colored balls, easier to see than orange.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 12:34pm

According to Torsten Kueneth of ITTF, "[The manufacturers] have spent the past months with what we requested from them: To finalize research and development on the remaining issues such as durability (and some did so by even working on two types of material).  This has of course been time-consuming, and for this reason, adding the orange balls still could not have priority for them. However, ITTF's guidance on this topic did not change: Orange non-celluloid balls will be approved by ITTF just as orange celluloid balls, and are expected to appear in the future."

This is from a thread on OOAK forum and that comment was from May 16,  2016 (over a year ago).  It seems that he is referring to the development of ABS balls by DHS and DF (since Nittaku already had theirs out by then).  They are now selling their balls, although it may be that they are not at full production capacity yet.

Nittaku always sold their premium celluloid balls in orange, but even they don't have an orange ABS ball. 

I guess the answer is nobody knows. 

Edit added:  He has been asked again about orange balls, we will see what he says.

Nittaku actually does have orange plastic balls, however they only come in 44mm. 

Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 2:24pm
I feel like we're ignoring that the two tone balls have been used. Why can't the orange material from the two tone ball be used for the entire ball?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I feel like we're ignoring that the two tone balls have been used. Why can't the orange material from the two tone ball be used for the entire ball?
I read somewhere that the two tone ball manufacturer wanted to have the 3* / 2*  orange balls too. Must be ITTF Dead

Edited by Egghead - 07/08/2017 at 2:59pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

I read somewhere that the two tone ball manufacturer wanted to have the 3* / 2*  orange balls too. Must be ITTF Dead

The conspiracy dives deeper
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 4:13pm
how about like this?

Edited by kurokami - 07/08/2017 at 4:14pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

The conspiracy dives deeper
my bad, my memory fails me  Embarrassed; the two tone ball manufacturer said it didn't worth it because of the ITTF fee.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 7:06pm

Those were horrible cellulose acetate 40+ balls that I suspect the manufacturers want to stop making in any case.  We are awaiting ABS balls in orange.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 7:19pm

Those were horrible cellulose acetate 40+ balls that I suspect the manufacturers want to stop making in any case.  We are awaiting ABS balls in orange.

... The conspiracy dives deeper
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2017 at 7:38pm
Minkow, supplier of the Kingnik ABS balls, has orange 1* ABS training balls.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 8:50am
Yes there may be some plastic balls in orange now....but look at exactly what they are.....

They are not Nittaku Premium nor DHS D40 quality....or close.  

The process to use the dye will change the outcome of the ball. Just like many other formulations like rubber color.  Ever notice how sometimes top sheets on black rubbers are just slightly different in some aspects compared to red rubbers in the same exact type?  This is because some rubbers are more natural and some more synthetic....then add dye to the formulation......possibilities of differences are now there!  

Also, they do not want to waste money on something that is a low % of importance to the sport over all.  They need to stabilize any possible needs for ball changes now.  They are hopefully close in this, but who knows.  I just think in this regard, that the low low cost of the new DHS D40 balls in a clue to the fact that the industry is getting close.  But even if it is only a few manufactures that have it down now.....the rest fall in line super quickly since actual manufacturing is isolated to a small amount of factories that will just re-brand the balls anyway. 

I do hope they are soon to get out a D40 in orange.  There are several places they will help as the court and or backdrops of the courts are hard to use a white ball with. 

Edited by Rich215 - 07/09/2017 at 8:52am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Minkow, supplier of the Kingnik ABS balls, has orange 1* ABS training balls.

This is the whitest orange ball I have ever seen. This is like one of those optical illusions where half the population says it's white and half say it's orange.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 8:30pm
browsing the yinhe website i found this:

it's not on the ittf list, but anyboby has seen these being sold?
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2017 at 8:44pm
It went on sale in February in China and there was an open beta in Taiwan.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 9:21am
Are there any pong tables that are jet black?  I think that would be pretty awesome and camera friendly.  Dark red floor, jet black table.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I haven't frequented this forum much the past couple years like I used to. Maybe I missed something.

How is it that we've had the plastic balls this long, and still don't have orange ones? 

i think you misspelled "round".

All kidding aside, we have at least 4 balls right now. Why do you want to open that potential to eight different balls?  

(it likely would, because pigmentation changes material properties like hardness)?

1) Nittaku Premiums (expensive pretenders to the celluloid style)
1) German balls (loud, obnoxiously broken sound)
2) Chinese seamless balls (lightweight, spinless, great for hitting)
3) Chinese seamed (what we've all been waiting for? reasonable price and quality?)

Everyone one of these balls plays significantly different. So much so that unmarked, most decent players could tell you after a few hits. 

There is more difference (sound, spin, surface texture, bounce height) between any of those styles of balls than there was between a decent 2* training ball and a Nittaku Premium in celluloid.

So before they make an orange ball, they need to be able to make a single ball with which the sport should be played. This version of economic darwinism has gone on for more than 4 years and seems excessive. 

Who knew that table tennis was an exclusive beta testing program that required pay to play?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 1:15am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

i think you misspelled "round".

All kidding aside, we have at least 4 balls right now. Why do you want to open that potential to eight different balls?  

(it likely would, because pigmentation changes material properties like hardness)?

1) Nittaku Premiums (expensive pretenders to the celluloid style)
1) German balls (loud, obnoxiously broken sound)
2) Chinese seamless balls (lightweight, spinless, great for hitting)
3) Chinese seamed (what we've all been waiting for? reasonable price and quality?)

Everyone one of these balls plays significantly different. So much so that unmarked, most decent players could tell you after a few hits. 

There is more difference (sound, spin, surface texture, bounce height) between any of those styles of balls than there was between a decent 2* training ball and a Nittaku Premium in celluloid.

So before they make an orange ball, they need to be able to make a single ball with which the sport should be played. This version of economic darwinism has gone on for more than 4 years and seems excessive. 

Who knew that table tennis was an exclusive beta testing program that required pay to play?

It's ridiculous isn't it? 

As long as we've had the plastic balls. The QC was supposed to be improved by the beginning of last year. But the main balls available are all so different from each other. 

My main point I guess is that if they made balls two toned that were good enough to use in a CSL final almost 3 years ago, how do we not have any advance on that yet? 

I don't deny the reality you've mentioned. But I'm sad that it's the reality we deal with. It's hard to see white balls in many clubs, including mine. But introduction of color altering characteristics of the already heavy variance that we deal with is terrible. I guess I should have realized, they can't even figure out how to get white balls to be consistent, why should I expect them to bother with orange? 

ugh. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic