Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Effect of blade on underspin looping performance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Effect of blade on underspin looping performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effect of blade on underspin looping performance
    Posted: 07/11/2017 at 5:10pm
I'm curious as to what your experiences regarding this matter are, since I experienced some extreme differences in difficulty of looping underspin when using the same rubbers on different blades.

So if possible I'd like you to share what you think are relevant parameters of blades that contribute to making looping underspin easier or more difficult.

Edited by Hozuki - 07/11/2017 at 5:13pm
Sponsored Links

LearnerDriverLicence View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearnerDriverLicence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 10:39am
Since your choice of blade influences the amount of 'dwell' in the rubber when you make contact, then it follows that different types of blades (in relation to structure or material) will affect the amount of spin able to be generated on contact, especially the ability to 'lift' underspin. Generally speaking, 5 ply blades allow more 'dwell' time on contact as opposed to 7ply blades. Of course, technique needs to be taken into account.

Edited by LearnerDriverLicence - 07/13/2017 at 10:44am
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 5:37pm
My observation is that it is much easier to loop underspin with a faster blade that is not very flexible.
The increased dwell time of 5ply allround blades means that the blade bends, and some power is lost.
So you need to swing harder at the ball to lift it, because energy transfer is not as efficient.
young dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

My observation is that it is much easier to loop underspin with a faster blade that is not very flexible.
The increased dwell time of 5ply allround blades means that the blade bends, and some power is lost.
So you need to swing harder at the ball to lift it, because energy transfer is not as efficient.

This sounds counter intuitive at first but makes sense imo.
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 1:51am

If your opponent is Joo Se Hyuk your statement is correct but if you play with your regular player a 5 ply blade is more than enough to get the ball on the table and you can vary the amount of spin better than with 7 ply blade.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:32am
I tried playing a chopper with very flexy 5ply and low throw chinese rubber, which required huge amount of force to lift the ball, so I was figuring out what was wrong. I assume a stiff blade with high throw rubber will be the easiest setup for lifting underspin.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 11:18am

I tried playing a chopper with very flexy 5ply and low throw chinese rubber, which required huge amount of force to lift the ball, so I was figuring out what was wrong. I assume a stiff blade with high throw rubber will be the easiest setup for lifting underspin.

Huge amounts of force produce the highest quality loops. Even if you can loop more easily with something else, that doesn't mean the blade is the problem.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 11:23am
what kind of speed are you trying to produce against downspin?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Huge amounts of force produce the highest quality loops. Even if you can loop more easily with something else, that doesn't mean the blade is the problem.

In terms of spin, yes. But if you have to hit so hard that you are unable to control your speed and placement and also you have to have perfect position, then how is that not a problem. Maybe it wouldn't be in a world where everyone is superhuman.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic