FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

New Training - Week 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Training - Week 4
    Posted: 07/11/2017 at 8:35pm
Finished up week 4 today.  It was more shadow footwork and stroke form against slower balls.  I am pretty happy with the Bh.  Against topspin my hand is still starting a little lower relative to the elbow than I like.  I think I will need to lower my stance to get to the position I initially imagined, but where I am is so much better than 4 weeks ago.  I think it will work fine just as is, but I think lowering stance is still a good idea.  Against underspin the Bh looks really good.  Work this week is not included in the video, but what I did see in practice looked good.  

Today something finally clicked on the Fh loop against topspin.  It is starting to look like I envisioned.  It is the last section of the video.  The elbow position is more stable and away from the body.  I also feel like I am getting more forward motion and less upward which gives me more ball speed.  Remember this is the off-the-bounce loop I am working on.

I finally included some video of the  footwork I have been shadowing.  I am finally stopping myself from standing straight up every time I move.  I have to think about leaning forward as I move in order to just keep level.  Odd, but it works.  I am also getting much better at getting back up on my toes after the stroke by using a little hop, which also gets me a little more distance from the table.  This is my 3rd week of this kind of footwork drilling.

Next week I am going to try and do the footwork drills  while hitting actual balls.   

Mark

mickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 7:12pm
Hey Mark. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the video isn't working!
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 12:15am
It is working for me.  Could someone else please comment on whether or not it is working.

Mark
maurice101 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 12:19am
not for me.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 12:28am
Ok. Try now.  I had a draft version that was not published.  I just published it so hopefully that cures the problem.  Please let me know if it still fails

Mark
mickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 2:57am
Works now, Mark! I really like your short pimps backhand attack. It looks really good.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the forehand, but I can't quite put my finger on what's off. The quality of the ball you're hitting looks good.  It might just be my lack of experience with an off-the-bounce loop.

If I had to say something, maybe it's because the backswing is really small, and there isn't much body rotation and weight transfer. But I guess that comes with the territory of a fast, off the bounce attack.

From my (limited) experience, I think I've seen more people attack like that using short pimples here.

That said, keep up the good work, and take what I say with a grain of salt. I look forward to seeing the footwork in action!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 3:43am
The footwork in the first shot is suboptimal in form.  If you are taking one step in, take one step in.  Otherwise, the left leg should move first when moving towards the forehand side of the table. That you are dragging it is not a good sign.  Repeatedly,  you are emphasizing getting into position before starting your backswing on many shots and this will get you into trouble when you play matches where the ball surprises you.  Try to build more elements of stroke preparation into the movements for use in match play.

The pivot sidestep to play the backhand is reasonable, but the backhand will only work if you time the movement perfectly.  Practice some Persson out-of-position swats.

For the pivots,  you are not using the movement to get more weight transfer. Not sure whether this is deliberate or  not.  A technically correct pivot puts more weight on the right foot at the beginning and transfers it to the left at the end. 

The forehand loop likely needs a tad bit more rotation around the elbow or shoulder and if you can get it a bit more forward lean.  

All in all I like the videos for what you are trying to do as these things will likely be effective for the opponents you are trying to beat. 

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
True Carbon FL
FH: Genius Max B
BH: Genius Max R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 9:43am
This is an interesting project. You must be working to a schedule, but i'm curious to see if your footwork holds up when you set the robot for one wide fh then a ball down your bh line. That seems like a common tactic people would try vs your style.

The strokes look really nice, especially the bh. It's hard to play the ball on the rise like that, takes super timing and reflexes. But if you can do it you will be a nightmare opponent for guys like me who take long swings.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 12:51pm
Next Level,

Making the feet finish the move before taking the backswing is an intentional training concept.  It is something I picked up from some videos of training for young kids.  My problem is that I reach with my hands early and lean so that foot movement is almost impossible.  I am trying to fix the concept of "feet before hands" into my movement muscle memory.   

As I move into hitting balls and finally game speed balls I fully expect the movements to get closure to simultaneous.

Mark

mickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 3:15am
Hi Mark. I had some time to think about what I said the other day.

I think for a good off the bounce aggressive attack, it's important to get down a little lower, rotate your upper body and contact the top of the ball with a slightly closed racket while transferring your weight forward.

Here's a snippet from my practice a few weeks ago. It was during free play (so serve into anything).

I think I could add a little more rotation still on some of the shots, and a lot more power (with say more forearm snap).

Though you did say off the bounce loop, and in my mind an off the bounce attack is usually more of a drive (to be aggressive).

Anyway, I hope it helps! If it's not what you're after, hopefully it still benefits someone!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 3:37am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Next Level,

Making the feet finish the move before taking the backswing is an intentional training concept.  It is something I picked up from some videos of training for young kids.  My problem is that I reach with my hands early and lean so that foot movement is almost impossible.  I am trying to fix the concept of "feet before hands" into my movement muscle memory.   

As I move into hitting balls and finally game speed balls I fully expect the movements to get closure to simultaneous.

Mark

That didn't work for me, so good luck with it. I also know that a few top level players who didn't hang around top level coaches in their formative years developed bad footwork habits as a result. It is better to just build in the elements so that your practice footwork isn't too reliant on knowing where the ball is going.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
True Carbon FL
FH: Genius Max B
BH: Genius Max R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic