FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

23rd DEAFLYMPICS GAMES (SAMSUN, TURKEY)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kolevtt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23rd DEAFLYMPICS GAMES (SAMSUN, TURKEY)
    Posted: 07/12/2017 at 6:47pm
Hello friends,

I promised to make a topic with useful information about the upcoming

23rd DEAFLYMPICS GAMES, which will be held in Samsun, Turkey between 17th and 27th July.
The official site of the games is :
http://deaflympics2017.org/en/home-page

More information about TABLE TENNIS you can see here :
http://deaflympics2017.org/en/sport/table-tennis/56

125 players from 30 countries are registered for the event.

One of the best players in this tournament will be Thomas Keinath, who is currently playing for Slovakia.
Wen Chih Hsuan from Taipei (missing) , Zakladniy from Ukraine, Juchna from Lithuania, Wang from China and some more world class players will make the competition stronger than ever. I think some Koreans and Japanese players will be also hard to make calculations with them. A pretty good players are available also from Iran, Kazakhstan and Russia.

I have pointed many times the fact about reactions connected with some of these players, because mainly these games are made for DEAF players who have not possibilities to hear the sound of the ball. Information you have for part of the second during you hear the contact of the ball with the paddle of your opponent is priceless, it gives you information immediately what to do with your legs, hand and paddle. Deaf players need more time and must be much more focused with their eyes to read the spin of the ball, often hit the ball too late, because they are waiting the ball in their part of the table to see the stamp/spin of the ball and make decision.

For a pity, the main regulation says players must have at least 65% hearing loss in both ears, but this is usually not enough well posted to be a factor for the reactions of the players.
Born deaf players never had the information/experience of the born hearing players have. That already means conditions are not fair, because some of the players are able to react to the ball very fast even if they have not their hearing aids, because they still hear the ball, fully or partly.
Many years I tried to post this problem in front of the Main Body connected with these games, but result is not available. If I want to say something versus someone I must accept the result 1st (that means to accept the loss), 2nd - to pay the price for protest note and after that to wait some day someone to send me something in style :
Sorry, but the requested player has all the needed documents to play in the games.

So - from one side I am glad I have the chance to meet good players on the tables in these games, but from other side I know we are not playing in equal conditions.
No matter of that, I will try this time to play my best and do not care about details in regulations, so I hope to play well and have fun on the table.
If I have possibility I will share the most important results in all the events.

Team competition starts at 20th July 09:00h local time.
I am ranked 18th this time in the individual ranking, may be it is time for some surprise. Wink

Edited by kolevtt - 07/25/2017 at 2:56pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2017 at 8:48pm
Is there any video of deaf athletes playing table tennis?
skip3119
kolevtt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2017 at 5:09pm
Deaf athletes are much more slowly in reactions and they are doing much more errors. I can make some videos, but even me without my hearing aid - I play much more lower level if I don't hear the ball.
I am pretty tired now, but I will update the topic when I have possibility.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 4:48am
I met a Korean player DEAF in a club I visited, this J-Pen guy did not rely on hearing to sense the ball at all, he was real good, over USATT 2000.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
kolevtt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 5:41pm
Hello friends, sorry for my delay, today was the Opening Ceremony, it was nice, but we hadn't any free internet on the stadium and the mobile internet is pretty expensive in roaming mode here in Turkey. I will probably post pictures or videos later when I am back at home. Meanwhile, you can check for results on the web.
Tomorrow 10:00h local time in the morning will be the lot for preliminary groups in Team's competition.
Matches start on the next day.

kolevtt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 3:19pm
The competition is almost in the end, matches gone without serious problems (violence for example), but I am very negatively surprised because ball was changed for the competition in the last moment and we were not informed preliminary.
Nittaku SHA Made in China was posted as official ball for this competition and before the match with Kazakhstan I received on the table Nittaku Premium Made in Japan. Completely different balls. I invested lot of time and money to have training with Nittaku SHA and now everything finished with very high disappointment. I played mixed in feelings, sometimes okay, sometimes not so much, but in fact I couldn't play my game at this competition, still have not any answer why the OC changed the balls before the matches.
Another note - there is light through the windows (Not so much darkened) and the walls around are white (?!?!?!), we play with a white balls too.
Some players were able to use some not so much friendly methods during the games, I think in Olympic Games mainly players must be looking for Fair Play.
Pictures and results are available at the site I have posted in my 1st message of this topic.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 10:50pm
Thanks for the updates. How many do you think, as an approximate %, can hear well with a hearing aid? Do you think this type of player competes with hearing aids in normal competitions, but only removes them for this type of competition? 
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2017 at 2:49am
Ha-lit Ha-lit Big smile 
I will congratulate him on the results when i see him
Innerforce ZLC R7soft/MXP
TBS T05/T05FX
Viscaria Genesis M/H3
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Thanks for the updates. How many do you think, as an approximate %, can hear well with a hearing aid? Do you think this type of player competes with hearing aids in normal competitions, but only removes them for this type of competition? 

As you know, all players in the Deaf Olympics are not allowed to use hearing aids or cochlear implant devices for competition, so I would I surmise many of those who use and benefit from such amplification devices in their everyday life (e.g. the "hard of hearing" players) would train for this event by playing without their devices to practice for this specific competition only (i.e., that would be my approach, being a deaf cochlear implant recipient myself FYI), but would very likely continue to use their amplification device when competing in regular competition against hearing players(also my preference), considering we have no reason not to do so.
Blade:Yinhe W-1
Rubber:Air Illumina 2.1

zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2017 at 8:00am
Hi all
2017 deaflympics Final women and men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwhj4irfkA
Blade chuan chih-yuan
Rubber: FH haifu whale2
BH Shark 2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic