Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Wiping hand on table to remove sweat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:22pm
Just sweat, ... if you are lucky.  Just to be the devil's advocate (and a germophobe), there is no telling where your opponent's fingers were before the match started Pinch and no way to know what is being transferred from your opponent's hands to the table top, to the ball, and from there to your hands, to your paddle's handle, to your towel, and finally to your face (I can think of some pretty disgusting skin conditions ...).  It's bad enough that we have to handle balls that have rolled around on the same floor that could now have the dog s#!t that we all tracked in from the great outdoors Dead, but that is true of most sports.  Hopefully I will remember not to touch my face before I can wash my hands, but if I don't then I try not to think about any of this and just play.

As for wiping your bodily fluid on the table, some top players drag their palms from the area next to the net towards their side of the table. A few also use their end of the table as the main drying area.  At least for major tournaments, I think the table tops get wiped off in between games.

Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

What's the problem? It's only sweat, mostly water with some salt. And it harms nobody.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:55pm
Isn't the fact that you are intentionally putting moisture on the playing surface (rather than removing it) reason enough to prohibit the behavior?
US1260.RC952 . Yasaka Gatien Extra : Target National + Rasant
Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:58pm
I used to think it was pointless and/or people were mindlessly emulating pros, but it really does help - after a while your towel gets so damp that it eventually reaches a point where the table is actually doing a better job of drying. Microfiber towels work better than those crappy TT branded ones, but even then the table helps. The table is also something you can do if you have a moment between points, whereas reaching for the towel is expected to be more an every 6 point break thing.
1994 ∙ VID: 08/19/2017
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 1:13am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by Steve_K Steve_K wrote:

Wturber, OK, I'll take your point about other sports being more offensive. But should TT stoop to the worst standards, or rise above them.

I don't think you got my point at all.  My point was that wiping a sweaty palm onto a table top is not nearly as bad as some of the typical activities in much more popular sports.  We are NOT stooping to the worst standards and this issue is very unlikely to hurt the sport in any measurable way.

Is this something that can be improve upon?  Sure.
Is this some big problem for the sport?  Not really.  It is a pretty minor issue.

Bad habits of swimmers could be the worst, but we don't see it.

Edited by heavyspin - 07/15/2017 at 1:16am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Isn't the fact that you are intentionally putting moisture on the playing surface (rather than removing it) reason enough to prohibit the behavior?

exactly!      But I cant believe people are not more discussions of alternate ways to wipe their hands....there are several ways other than the TOP of the table. 

It seems like the overall attitude of wiping the hands on the playing surface is like.....so I need to get the sweat off my hands....I really do not care if I put my sweat/oils all over the playing surface because it is up at the net.  

As wturber said....applying something to your clothing as an added aid for moisture wiping.  Id love to have a set of shorts with some sections on them with microfiber or something like that built in.  Or..yea something under the table that does not stick out....or barely does. 

Another thing I thought of was to make small towel bins on the table sides.  They could be pretty small and be deep enough to hide the towels from view.  Some small box slot deal. They can be simple plastic or something and be quickly removable from the table sides by the net area. 

I know the 6 point towel break is more than enough for the masses most of the time.  But pending on person, playing environment.....this 6 point towel break is not quick enough to get to.  So by having a towel right at the table that is conveniently hidden while playing....is in my mind the better approach if we can have more towel breaks that are much quicker and will not cause over all game slow down. 

With that said....let me ask all a simple question.   If you were a player like me that has big issues with sweat dripping into the eyes and glasses even when using various sweat bands on my head....what should I do when I just took a normal towel break..then 3 points later I have sweat in my eyes or on my glasses and I can not see well or impaired to the point I do not want to serve or receive because of this?    Should I just give up the point?......take a yellow card for using my towel?   

Edited by Rich215 - 07/15/2017 at 9:46am
Vince64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

exactly!      But I cant believe people are not more discussions of alternate ways to wipe their hands....there are several ways other than the TOP of the table. 

It seems like the overall attitude of wiping the hands on the playing surface is like.....so I need to get the sweat off my hands....I really do not care if I put my sweat/oils all over the playing surface because it is up at the net.  

As wturber said....applying something to your clothing as an added aid for moisture wiping.  Id love to have a set of shorts with some sections on them with microfiber or something like that built in.  Or..yea something under the table that does not stick out....or barely does. 

Another thing I thought of was to make small towel bins on the table sides.  They could be pretty small and be deep enough to hide the towels from view.  Some small box slot deal. They can be simple plastic or something and be quickly removable from the table sides by the net area. 

I know the 6 point towel break is more than enough for the masses most of the time.  But pending on person, playing environment.....this 6 point towel break is not quick enough to get to.  So by having a towel right at the table that is conveniently hidden while playing....is in my mind the better approach if we can have more towel breaks that are much quicker and will not cause over all game slow down. 

With that said....let me ask all a simple question.   If you were a player like me that has big issues with sweat dripping into the eyes and glasses even when using various sweat bands on my head....what should I do when I just took a normal towel break..then 3 points later I have sweat in my eyes or on my glasses and I can not see well or impaired to the point I do not want to serve or receive because of this?    Should I just give up the point?......take a yellow card for using my towel?    If sweat gets on your glasses between a point you just raise your hand and calll let point to the sweat on the glasses so opponent knows reason for let then wipe your glasses off. If it happens during the middle of a rally you just have to play the point out.

https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

If sweat gets on your glasses between a point you just raise your hand and calll let point to the sweat on the glasses so opponent knows reason for let then wipe your glasses off. If it happens during the middle of a rally you just have to play the point out.

Exactly so.  I have this problem a lot.  I make it a point to wipe my glasses quickly as a courtesy to my opponent.

You are explicitly allowed to towel every 6 points.  But that doesn't mean that you are prohibited from other toweling off resolve specific safety and playing condition issues like sweat on glasses or on the table top.  You can also towel more frequently than every six points so long as doing so does not interfere with continuous play.   For instance, if your opponent is walking to the end of the court to retrieve a ball, there is nothing to stop you from quickly toweling off as long as doing so doesn't create additional delay.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 3:35pm

Or, as I've pointed out, a small towel in your shorts pocket.  Maybe one in each.

Note also that you could change to a fresh towel after each game during the one minute interval. There is nothing to prevent you from bringing many towels to the playing area if that's what you need.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2017 at 3:21am

exactly!      But I cant believe people are not more discussions of alternate ways to wipe their hands....there are several ways other than the TOP of the table. 

With that said....let me ask all a simple question.   If you were a player like me that has big issues with sweat dripping into the eyes and glasses even when using various sweat bands on my head....what should I do when I just took a normal towel break..then 3 points later I have sweat in my eyes or on my glasses and I can not see well or impaired to the point I do not want to serve or receive because of this?    Should I just give up the point?......take a yellow card for using my towel?   

The small towel bins on table sides is a good idea, but I don't think it will fly due to extra costs.

I/we used to hang our relatively small-moderate sized towels (not those giant beach towels) on the horizontal rail bars underneath the tables. After each game, change sides, take your towel to other side. This was so simple, how did players get so lazy not to do this ?

Until they saw elite players start wiping their hands at front side of table close to net. Ya, this was way cooler, so everyone started copying top players from around the world.

I, like many of you cant stand players leaving their sweaty hands DNA on surface of table near the net.

BTW, at the Butterfly Canadian TT Championships this past weekend/last week, the umpires at the tables wiped the surface of the tables - even closest to net of each left & right side - before each match started.  I LIKE THAT  Clap

Butterfly TB ALC fl
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: Tenergy 05FX 2.1

Donic Waldner WC89 fl
FH: Tibhar Aurus Prime 2.1
BH: Rakza7soft 2.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic