Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS PF4 New

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS PF4 New
    Posted: 07/14/2017 at 7:48am
Hello everyone.

Does anybody have any experience with this rubber? How does it compare to regular H3? How does it react to boosting?

Haven't actually been able to find any decent piece of info on this "new" rubber. The ad text says it is supposed to be faster than the original version.

BTW, it's less than $8 shipped currently which is suspicious, but on the other hand Yinhe Mercury II is a decent rubber at an even lower price. Overall, this one could be a steal if it had #20 sponge.

Edited by al_111 - 07/14/2017 at 8:02am
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 8:36am
The Red package one is said to be extremely tacky.

The Blue package one is similar to the old PF4, a mildly tacky topsheet with a sponge similar to that of H3.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 8:39am
The old pf4 as I knew it was very tacky, slow, super hard sponge. I haven't tried it in 15 years though
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
avi3230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi3230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 9:33am
Hiii,
I used old PF4 with blue sponge which was slow, very tacky, too much durable (for almost 7 years and I threw it away finally).

Last year my friend went to china and he bought PF4 with orange sponge in red packaging.
Its  tacky (much less compared to H3N), plays very good as compared to H3N.

My colleague is using it on palio energy 3 and its playing pretty good till now.
I am used to Chinese rubbers like H3N so I dont have adjust my hitting technique, and I feel the rubber is very good for its price.
DHS Fang Bo carbon 90 gm
DHS H3N C 2.2 40- black FH
Andro Good 2.1mm - blue BH
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:26am
It's an excellent rubber! Hardness over 39 degree, slightly tacky, very grippy topsheet, and the New sponge is extremely elastic and boosts very well. Throw angle is medium. Is rather slow, slower than H3 when looping, but due to new sponge quick attack is fast and deadly. Control is also excellent. On balsa blades you can play opening loop with follow up smashing and on faster wooden flexy blades it will be slow but very secure looping machine. Only downside is that the topsheet wears out quickly. But will still last half a year vor so. All in all a more balanced version of H3.

Still on sale on eacheng for 4$ where I bought it.

Edited by Hozuki - 07/14/2017 at 10:28am
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 2:56pm
Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the blue / red package, all Aliexpress sellers seem to state the rubber inside is actually the same, i.e. the new version.

Hozuki, thank you for sharing your experience! How would you estimate the spin and speed of boosted PF4 New compared to boosted H3? Is it slightly, noticeably, much slower?

avi3230, do you feel that your friend's PF4 fully matches H3 neo in speed? If so, are you speaking about bosted or unboosted rubber?

Again, thanks everyone for your input!
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 4:10pm
I used them on entirely different blades so I cannot make a fair comparison. But if you insist, I would say the sponges can be equally fast, but pf4 topsheet performs better handling low forces because smaller pimples while it gets outperformed by h3 when handling high forces. For spinny opening loops maybe pf4 is better but on countertops surely h3 offers better spin and stability. Well it should make sense if you think about it, pf4 is a classic topsheet made for 38mm ball (imagine quick pendhold close table loop and follow up smash style) so no wonder its topsheet can take damage trying to handle a much bigger ball. It really depends on your style and level, I have seen chinese shops label it as easy training version of h3, and I agree, excellent for training proper strokes and for better control but in the end you still should upgrade either to h2 or h3, depening on whether you want lower or higher throw. Maybe H8 for same throw. Have not tried it yet.
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 2:11am
With what you wrote, it looks like I'm just doomed to try it

There seems to be no actual substitute to a well-boosted H3, at least for my game. I have finally ruined my sheet of Nittaku H3 Pro which was the best thing I've ever tried, the Battle II I'm playing with now which is highly praised by a lot of people is nowhere near in terms of dynamics and topsheet quality, the feel on FH is somewhat hollow.

Still, cost-wise Nittaku H3 made me keep it somewhat longer than I actually should have. If this new PF4 will be able to come close to H3 in terms of spin, it would probably be better for me to be able to change the rubber every 3-4 months without waiting for the topsheet to get overboosted and eventually die. A little less speed is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if the sponge reacts well to tuning.
avi3230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi3230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 3:50am
@al_111
We never boost rubbers. 
H3N is faster than PF4 but not much.

PF4 topspin ball dips more after bounce on table and it has low arc. It becomes difficult to return if u place the ball well.

H3N topspin is much higher arc and bounce at good height but its faster after it bounces on table.

PF4 is better in short game as ball is always low on push or chop.

PF4 is very good if u play near the table most of the time. It absorbs spin of opponent better than H3N.

I am not a expert in table tennis but this is what I felt.

Thank you.
DHS Fang Bo carbon 90 gm
DHS H3N C 2.2 40- black FH
Andro Good 2.1mm - blue BH
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 4:06am
avi3230, thanks a lot! Your firsthand experience is priceless as there is barely any info on the web regarding new PF4 but short marketing texts. It's especially useful as it comes from a player who uses H3N as his main FH weapon.
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 5:27am
Saw it in the store labelled PF4 40+.

Marketed for the 40+ ball. Excited to try this if it's the same slow hard sponge + control.

Edited by HuLimei - 07/15/2017 at 5:30am
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 8:50pm
Pairs extremely well with YEO. Excellent control. Opening topspin can be placed anywhere you like and kicks off the table at an awkward angle, resulting in blocking errors of the opponent. Pushes are super low and controlled. Best thing is the loop drive with full sponge engagement, lightning fast and very secure. Lovely rubber :)
ttvet86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvet86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 11:00pm
The ITTF LARC shows PF4 as losing its approval as of 30 June 2018. But it also shows an approved 004 PF4 and a 014 PF4-1. Does anyone know what this means?
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by ttvet86 ttvet86 wrote:

The ITTF LARC shows PF4 as losing its approval as of 30 June 2018. But it also shows an approved 004 PF4 and a 014 PF4-1. Does anyone know what this means?

i guess there might be an old PF4 without the ittf numbering and that's the one being invalidated , while the new ones are still ok to use.

btw i just noticed Super 999 T is out too, the topsheet unglues easily but was way better and tackier than PF4 
Neottec Magic Control -CN : Nexy Karis M / 61second Kangaroo
Revoldia clone -ST: Hurricane 9 green / 61second Eagle
Donier Defensive -ST: Sword Long Can / 61second Eagle

al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 2:14pm
BTW, this new PF4 was slower than H3 (as expected), significantly softer and did not react well enough to boosting (at least, with FTL).
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2018 at 10:39am
slower - yes
softer - no, but more elastic sponge
boosting much better with seamoon
tonetruiz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonetruiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2022 at 7:17am
Did you try DHS PF4-50 rubber? How does it compare to red label DHS PF4?
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2022 at 7:41am
I'm using the new PF4-50 on max black, compared to the red package one, the 50 sponge version is lighter, faster, but less tacky.

I bought it for my backhand but is probably a better FH rubber.

The sponge crumble a little bit while cutting and the top sheet feels very stiff, but overall it's a real bargain if you're not dependent in premium rubbers

culvch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culvch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2022 at 8:21am
PF4-50 durable all round rubber value for money. Good if paired with fast blade to increase power. Only drawback the rubber curved a lot when the glue effect die off and therefore difficult to stick evenly on the blade especially near the edges of the blade
CUL
STW 1Ply Hinoki C Pen
FH DHS PF4-50 (Red)
BH RITC 802-40 (Black)

tonetruiz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonetruiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2022 at 9:23am
I am playing with two red label DHS PF4 max on a YEO flaired blade right now. Red label DHS PF4 is a superb forehand rubber for the price. If DHS PF4-50 is a bit less tacky, lighter and bit faster in low and medium speeds could be a good candidate for my next backhand rubber. Wink

Edited by tonetruiz - 02/08/2022 at 9:25am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 3:03pm
The last PF4 I got was in a red package.  It was soft, light, and not really sticky at all.  Reminded me of flextra or something like that.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2022 at 11:20am
I got two PF4 50 rubbers for a friend.

They have different sponge color , the package was the same. Can anyone confirm?

(Sorry for the blurry photo)

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2022 at 6:17am
Can anyone explain the pips difference to h3 h2 h8 and Pf4?  I ordered the red package for $12 aud delivered just because its so dam cheap and I want to try boosting the absolute hell out of it.  

I used to buy H2 because it was the cheapest and can replace it so quickly although the tack does last.  I'm staying away from those -50 sponges because the tack absolutely disappears quickly and they are weakly glued to the sponge... that includes the 8-80.  H8 is different, it is strong.  

Fingers crossed the pf4 takes to boosting well.  Some sponges from friendship that I have tried are like cardboard.

Would be a dream to beat opponents with a $12 rubber...

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 09/07/2022 at 6:19am
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic