FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Backhand technique shakehands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhand technique shakehands
    Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:36pm
I am looking for suggestions on how to topspin a moderately high ball to my backhand. I do not want to punch block it. I want to topspin it. I can only hit a backhand that bounces so high and keep my paddle/wrist closed. 
Videos also welcome.

tia
'
Sword Yokahama Yue or Gambler Fire Dragon FLC or AVX J power or ?. Double inverted. Red on one side and black on the other. I can't seem to commit....
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 10:58pm
Take a step back and wait for it to reach a point where you can comfortably play a topspin shot. If you're back another foot or so you should have enough time for the ball to drop into comfortable looping height, which for my backhand, is about stomach height.
Carbonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
BTY Viscaria 88g
FH/Bh: Tenergy (05/64)/Vega Pro
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 3:03am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I am looking for suggestions on how to topspin a moderately high ball to my backhand. I do not want to punch block it. I want to topspin it. I can only hit a backhand that bounces so high and keep my paddle/wrist closed. 
Videos also welcome.

tia
'

It's a very large stroke sometimes used by top players. It is really best to pivot and use your forehand but if you want to persist, look at Seiya Kishikawa. He had one in this video where he is playing Ma Long (The ball did come back...) I think it was edited and put into the Ma Long King of All Shots Compilation.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
True Carbon FL
FH: Genius Max B
BH: Genius Max R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 8:13am
Originally posted by caratoon caratoon wrote:

Take a step back and wait for it to reach a point where you can comfortably play a topspin shot. If you're back another foot or so you should have enough time for the ball to drop into comfortable looping height, which for my backhand, is about stomach height.

I thought about adding in "how to do a good backhand without using footwork" but thought better of it. 

Of course footwork is important but there are times, particularly when I am closes to the table that I simply do not have time to move back on a ball that bounces higher than expected. I suspect I will have to learn how to do a punch block variant for this.

Nextlevel I will look up the video. I am thinking of a shorter stroke and again more close to the table. 

I should add I am pretty short (5'7") so balls that most of you can handle can get high on me pretty quickly. Juniors seem to have this "windshield" BH as mjamja describes it. I am trying to reduce the complexity of my BH for consistency sake.
Sword Yokahama Yue or Gambler Fire Dragon FLC or AVX J power or ?. Double inverted. Red on one side and black on the other. I can't seem to commit....
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 12:41pm
Well, if it is too high to topspin at the top of the bounce, take it earlier or later.

If you want to learn a new stroke, there are a few people who do this BH drive where they backswing from the left shoulder almost and add a lot of wrist.  Persson is the one that comes to mind the most, but he is taller than you are, so it may be different.

ILya
Stiga Allround Bengtsson circa 1970s
FH: Yinhe Big Diper, 40deg, Red
BH: Tibhar MX-S, max, black
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic