Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why Skyline 3 not popular anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 3:34pm
I ask myself why was skyline ever popular to begin with? 

I will admit a strong negative DHS product bias as I have never been impressed with any DHS rubber (or table tennis balls) after numerous attempts to use said products.
Sponsored Links

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 3:52pm
It's designed for penhold use. Penholders are declining. Ergo less popularity.
Question answered.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 4:10pm
I've been playing with the skyline 3-60 soft on backhand for a few weeks and I have to say I'm incredibly satisfied with it
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

It's designed for penhold use. Penholders are declining. Ergo less popularity.
Question answered.

Could you expand on this.  I have a pen-hold club mate who I try to help with some coaching.  More explanation might help me understand some of the details of pen-hold technique that I do not currently understand.

Mark - I am not a real TT coach but I do play one at my club.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 5:04pm
The original skyline rubbers (TG2 and TG3 and its NEO upgrades) were designed for penhold players. TG2, for example, was specificly designed for Ma Lin. The general idea is that skyline rubbers were optimized for a penhold stroke, which is different from a shakehand one. Thus penholders are more likely to enjoy and play well with skyline rubbers, rather than hurricane ones.
Empirical evidence: Xu Xin, for example is the only penholder left in CNT and he plays with TG3, while the rest of the bunch plays Hurricane 3.
But I think it comes down to how you like to contact the ball whether you prefer one or the other.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 5:41pm
Thanks for the follow up.  My club mate plays with T05 so it might be too much of a change.  He tried H2 for a short time but did not like it.  He may also have tried H3 with the same result.

I will pass your info on to him.  After the US Open in Dec he might want to try something different.

Mark
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 6:24pm
You are welcome. H2 is very difficult to use and only caters to a very specific player type.
I would recommend TG2 to your friend as it is the most user friendly in my opinion and it has been well recieved by many players of different playstyles.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 7:55pm
How do you know that Xu Xin plays with TG3? BTW since few months I am playing with TG3 NEO and really enjoy it. It is deadly and very fast while driving the ball especially when taking it early(my effort to adapt to the P-ball).Very confusing for my opponents. Serve and push are WOW! I wish it had better smash, but when I'm in need I twiddle.
There was a moment in the cell past when I was using this rubber and it did not impress me as much as now..... Maybe I should try the H3 Neo too
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

How do you know that Xu Xin plays with TG3? BTW since few months I am playing with TG3 NEO and really enjoy it. It is deadly and very fast while driving the ball especially when taking it early(my effort to adapt to the P-ball).Very confusing for my opponents. Serve and push are WOW! I wish it had better smash, but when I'm in need I twiddle.
There was a moment in the cell past when I was using this rubber and it did not impress me as much as now..... Maybe I should try the H3 Neo too

Do you play shakehand or penhold? Also, did you boost your TG3 and what blade do you use?

Thanks
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 10:06pm

The original skyline rubbers (TG2 and TG3 and its NEO upgrades) were designed for penhold players. TG2, for example, was specificly designed for Ma Lin. The general idea is that skyline rubbers were optimized for a penhold stroke, which is different from a shakehand one. Thus penholders are more likely to enjoy and play well with skyline rubbers, rather than hurricane ones.
Empirical evidence: Xu Xin, for example is the only penholder left in CNT and he plays with TG3, while the rest of the bunch plays Hurricane 3.
But I think it comes down to how you like to contact the ball whether you prefer one or the other.

whats different in TG3 that is good for a penholder
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2017 at 11:01pm

You are welcome. H2 is very difficult to use and only caters to a very specific player type.
I would recommend TG2 to your friend as it is the most user friendly in my opinion and it has been well recieved by many players of different playstyles.

TG2 (non neo) was fabulous with the celluloid ball. Really predictable and stable, solid control with that "Hurricane" gear for ridiculous spin or powerful speed.

But I haven't tried it with the current balls.

I was using TG2 Neo for a while and gave up in favor of STN; TG2Neo simply requires too much work on an ALL+ / OFF- blade without boosting.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 6:00am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

Do you play shakehand or penhold? Also, did you boost your TG3 and what blade do you use?

Thanks

I play shakehand and have TG3NEO on two of mine Hallmark Carbon Extreme(2.15 and 2.2 FH) and recently on the Latika(2.15) T64 is on the BH.
Yes I boost them with FTL although not sure if the boost effect is there. Probably it is.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:11am
I forgot to mention TG2 requires a fast flexy blade with hard outer veneers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic