Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Are TT glues just rebrands of other glues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are TT glues just rebrands of other glues?
    Posted: 07/20/2017 at 8:19pm
As an example, I think a few "manufacturers" in the good old days just rebranded some glues made for tire repairs and mark them up by 400% and sell them as TT speed glue.  Maybe some of the current water based TT glues are also just rebrands of someone else's water based glues, with no TT-specific value added, and sold for astronomical prices?  Some of us use cheaper, non-TT-specific glues, because we refuse to pay the high prices that retailers charge for "TT" glues.  It may be a hit-or-miss approach but based on the posts here it looks like that there are a few official TT glues that don't work well.   
Sponsored Links

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 9:47pm
I believe to the most extent table tennis glues just 90% liquid latex.
I also think they use some ammonia for thinning.

I use Tear mender and it works just fine.
Easy to get at any Ace hardware.

If its older it may have some unusable portion so it best to shake before you buy.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 11:33pm
I use Tearmender too.  I order it from Walmart online, and request to ship it to a specific Walmart store (near where I live) - free shipping. I just go there to pick it up.

*** If shipping to my house, there is a shipping charge.***

skip3119
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 7:19am
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that NOT all glues are created equal."

FWIW, 37% of Finezip is made up of water. Natural rubber, acrylic copolymer and ammonia account for the rest. Nittaku says they have filed a patent for it.

OTOH, Nittaku's new glue Quick Zip is made up of natural rubber, ammonia, and water.

Edited by zeio - 07/21/2017 at 7:56am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 8:08am
There is certainly a difference between what works and what works best. On the other hand there is a lot to be said for familiarity. If you use one kind of glue all the time, you kind of figure out how to use it. TT glues have additives that control and are intended optimize the drying time and viscosity. They are easier to use and more likely to give an even layer with no clumps and ideal adhesion. If I am using a 30-75 dollar sheet of rubber it makes no sense to me to try to save a few cents on glue and I found Tearmender inconsistent and that was the deal killer for me. The markup on TT glue is high for sure, but it is good to keep a sense of proportion about its cost relative to your rubber. I always use Free Chaque 2 because it always works the same way and I dont need to use multiple layers. I get a perfect result every time.

Clearly some people figured how to use Tearmender.    I for one had no patience to experiment that much.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 8:32am
Gluing is cheaper nowadays.

I remember buying the tin tube Butterfly Clean Chack all the time, for like US$2, when a piece of 729 topsheet with DHS sponge cost like $3. Didn't even blink.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 1:28pm
For me Tear mender is easy

1. Always shake it first.

2.Use a makeup remover sponge with no oil in it. (They're cheap)I usually tear in half.

3.After pouring on rubber or blade use sponge to take off excess and put in an old tear mender bottle.

4. Wait until dry or use hair dryer until all white is gone.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2017 at 1:34pm
I found that different bottles of Tearmender varied greatly in how rapidly they dried and that when they dried too quickly you got all sorts of clumps.  wturber was one of the guys who popularized the use of Tearmender and he had all sorts of tricks for preventing that.  I like what I use now.  One coat on rubber.  One coat on blade.  Attach.  Always the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic