Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom DF rubbers, problem with the topsheet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom DF rubbers, problem with the topsheet
    Posted: 07/30/2017 at 12:31am
Hi!

I've purchased last week a Xiom Vega Euro DF black 2.0mm. Yesterday when I took the bat off the case, I noticed a big weird stain on the topsheet.

I've read some topics about similar problem.

I only played 10h with it then didn't play since monday and yesterday I noticed the damage, for now I'm letting the rubber "breathe" out of the case, see if it will resolve the problem.

Thing is, when I play, I kinda sweat a lot (hands a lot lot wet). So of course I dry them quite often but for the rubber I only remove "sweat" with a towel (one I only use to dry the blade when too wet and for the rubber when too wet too) but no proper cleaning with water. I only clean my rubbers once back home.
As I used it mostly BH, I wonder if that can come from my finger when I serve, I also noticed that after 2h playing, I have trouble to serve (to handle the bat properly while I'm serving) due to sweat, even if I dry the bat and my hands, there're some serves I can't do at all (idk the english name for that serve-the one Boll often does- I can't do it after few hours playing...)

So might be come from that? or else?

Also I only clean the rubber with water once back home, and let the case open during the night (just the zip open) to let the balde dry and avoid mold (?).

I'm not looking to have arguments for a refund or else, just to know what went wrong in case it happense again. Not willing to change rubbers every 10h! Smile

Thanks for your answers!

Edited by jim92120 - 07/31/2017 at 4:01am
Sponsored Links

jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 12:34am

(white stains on the 2 photos are just dust)
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 12:45am
Hello Jim,

I used to try the Xiom Omega V Euro DF.
Back then, was also using for BH rubber for RPB.

I usually cleaned my rubbers with Butterfly Cure Water.
I experienced the exact same problem as shown in your second picture.
Had many weird small little bubbles.

If you leave the rubber out in the open for long enough, the bubbles would go off.
They will still leave a mark/ "scar" on the top sheet though.

I always wondered was it because after cleaning, I just threw it into the bat case after wiping it off with a sponge.
Now, I use a different cleaner, and a two sided sponge. One for wet wipe and the other side for dry wipe.
But I've moved on from Xiom Rubbers for now. I can't be entirely sure if moisture was the problem.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 12:54am
This could be a QC issue. Wouldnt be surprised since XIOM is not well known for their great quality control.

Not much you can do other than email XIOM with pictures and your story. See what they say.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 1:42am
@Chewy

Damn.. I'm not using "special cleaner" (some don't recommend this), just water
Well for my case, I cleant it, then let dry out my blade (zip case open) for the night and closed it the day after, so it couldn't be wet I guess?
Also I'm in Vietnam, so kinda 70% humidity over here, might be that?

But I had a Vega Intro right before, BH, that  rubber is still ok with 20h playing. My FH Rakza 9 (same 20h playing with it), not problem too. I wonder if it comes from the "DF-Dynamic Friction"

Same as you, I won't buy Xiom rubber anymore, prefer not if it's a manufacturer problem, not sure though, but after 10h playing...

Thanks for your reply!

@DreiZ

Is Xiom not part of ESN? So supposed to have somehow "better quality" than Asian non-ESN brand?
I've just send them a mail, let's see!

Edited by jim92120 - 07/30/2017 at 1:48am
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 6:33am
@Jim

Eh, but funny enough. I didn't have any problems with the normal Xiom Omega V Asia.
Just the Omega V Euro DF. I'm in Thailand. Pretty much the same climate I guess?
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 6:59am
Sweat can destroy rubber pretty fast, specially when doing that reverse pendulum serve where you grip the bat mostly on rubber.
I do sweat a lot too, take 2 towels for your practice sessions, my 2nd towel is a really small one that I use just for drying hands after using big one.
After you wipe your hands, face, hair few times towel isnt really that dry enough to dry your palms thoroughly.
Try not to grip your blade to tightly, that reduces sweating significantly also and helps your game too.

As for cleaning, I clean my rubbers with cleaner/destiled water after practice and when home with a drop or two of revolution no3 cleaner and apply plastic protectors, in the summer after every practice, rest of the year every few weeks only.
With this routine my rubbers do last significantly longer.
jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 8:51am
@Chewy

So I guess it comes from the Dynamic Friction.. would like to see if some other ppl faced the same issue with same or other DF rubbers from Xiom
Yep same, hot and really humid!

@6Finger

Yeah that serve, really hard to do it properly with sweaty/wet hands lol
That's what I'm gonna do now, 2 towels + 1 small for the blade only. And now I'm cleaning the rubber every 30-45min, to prevent it
Have you already experienced a rubber damage as fast as this, only 10h playin with it?
Also may I ask you if it was any rubbers or specific ones which were destroyed by sweat?

Also maybe you know any products to make the hands stop sweating? I don't care about body's sweat, uncomfortable but I can deal with it. But for hands it's really problematic..

Thanks for your feedback!
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2017 at 12:43pm
I don't know of any products to stop sweating, loosen the grip on the bat that is the best one :P EmRatTich has great video about it on youtube, check it out.

And yes I have experienced rubber damage already with only a few hours of play but not as great as yours, although I can imagine it happening in 10h if you have really sweaty palms.

Ironically I have noticed it the most happening with rubbers that I find most durable, like T05, Xiom Vega Pro, Yasaka Rakza 7 ( I guess those have biggest amount of natural rubber ) but Revolution no3 cleaner really comes in handy here and removes sweat stains.

Idk for DF rubbers because I don't like those at all, I find them too bouncy and too soft, Vega Pro is much better in all aspects in my opinion.
jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 4:00am
I've posted on a french forum, another guy using Asia DF and Euro DF had the same issue... Left the rubber breath then apparently it went back to normal after few days

@6Finger
Thanks for the video!
Weirdly I don't have any problem with my others rubbers (Xiom Vega Intro, Rakza 9, Rising Dragon). I'm testing rubbers so I'm using them in FH and BH, switching sides and only that Euro DF came out with this...

jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2017 at 5:33am
@Chewy

What glue did you use for the Vega DF?
jim92120 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim92120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 9:19am
Great feedback from Xiom!
So it's (high chance) due to finger pressure on the rubber while serving combined to the softness of the topsheet.

They also offered me their new rubber as a replacement at the end of the year.
They're concerned about their costumers, I really appreciate that!

Thanks Xiom!
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 1:59pm
Hey Jim,

Glad that Xiom offered you a replacement!
Great customer service.

It was quite some time back, I cannot recall exactly which glue I used.
If I'm not wrong, probably the Butterfly Free Chack II.
I was also using Glues from Donic Formula First/Andro Free Glue.

However, I've changed to Rev 3 Normal Viscosity and never looked back since!
So much easier to remove, and easy to apply with layer consistency.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic