Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meet Your Idol - Zhang Jike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meet Your Idol - Zhang Jike
    Posted: 08/04/2017 at 2:58pm
Okay.  Gotta eat lunch in about ten minutes, but this shouldn't take long.

One hit wonders are not necessarily pop stars.  They are one hit wonders.

And of course your post was tongue in cheek.  As was your assertion that my post seriously calls into question every assertion (I) have ever made.  Does that include any statement that I might make, such as that Kiri Te Kanawa is a far, far, far better vocalist than any pop star, or any one hit wonder for that matter?

Yes, I admit I wasn't aware of the Stellan/Kjell studio musical massacre.  Have you ever listened to "The Ying Tong Song" made back in '57 or '58 by The Goons, one of whom was Peter Sellers?

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/04/2017 at 4:17pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 2:37pm
One recording in a studio has made many pop stars Berndt!  They are called One Hit Wonders.

But of course my post was tongue in cheek. 

Actually Wikipedia has an extensive list of one-hit wonders.  It includes people, er, performers, like Steve Martin (for King Tut, 1978), Kermit the Frog (1979), Jerry Lewis (Rockabye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody, 1956), Senator Everett Dirksen (Gallant Men, 1966), and many others who were not regarded as actual singers (or in the case of Kermit, actual people) but better known for other things.   

But who among us can forget Moon Unit Zappa or the Jo Boxers, or Max Headroom?

In any case, admit it Berndt.  You were unaware of this atrocity committed by the two Swedish table tennis stars (one of whom quite sadly is no longer with us).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

In fact that is manifestly not the case, and I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that a table tennis historian like Berndt did not know this, indeed it seriously calls into the question every contention he has ever made.  Here is the horrible proof (and indeed, both of these are world champions, one in singles, and indeed my heroes as a young player).  Perhaps, though, Berndt managed to get it out of his mind.  That would be forgivable.

And if you really are really masochistic, you can still buy it.

And I am shocked -- SHOCKED == that you did not bother to read my post very carefully before jumping to the conclusion that you made and then stomping on it.  One recording in a recording studio does not a pop star make.  Did Stellan and Kjell go on, after their table tennis careers ended, to a succesful stint as well-known Swedish pop singers with adoring fangirls and all the glitz, bling and dancing girls that Zhang had, and probably will have, on his way to becoming the Chinese Justin Bieber or Justin Timberlake?  I think not.

BTW, it looked as though Stellan and Kjell were having fun, but I've heard better karaoke at O'Malley's on N. 4th St. here in Tucson.
bmann1942
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:44pm
I think ZJK did what he did is so that these girl fans will stay away from him, hence create less distraction for himself and other players on the court.  In all honesty, those "tt fans" are even more annoying than the 13 year old's screams.  
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:38pm
In fact that is manifestly not the case, and I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that a table tennis historian like Berndt did not know this, indeed it seriously calls into the question every contention he has ever made.  Here is the horrible proof (and indeed, both of these are world champions, one in singles, and indeed my heroes as a young player).  Perhaps, though, Berndt managed to get it out of his mind.  That would be forgivable.

And if you really are really masochistic, you can still buy it.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:26pm
Zhang Jike may be something of a jerk, but he has accomplished something no other World Champion in the history of table tennis, male or female, has done:  becoming a succesful pop singer as well as a former World Champion table tennis player.  Props to that.

Heck, I don't know whether or not my hardbat World Champion heroes, Barna, Bergmann, Leach and Sido could carry a tune.

And it ain't easy, I would suppose, to entertain in front of adoring fangirls and people in the audience and people watching on television.

Okay.  Now to smackman.  If you want to hear artistry as opposed to entertainment, listen on YouTube to your countrywoman Kiri Te Kanawa.  She was one of the finest sopranos of the 20th century.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/04/2017 at 1:31pm
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:28am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Everyone please focus on Bernt_mann, 
he needs attention

Attention is always welcome, but right now money is more important.  If you have any (American dollars, preferably Benjamins please), to send me please let me know through this forum by private message and I shall send you my address. 

If any neurologist in New Zealand has come up with a cure for essential tremor, please let me know that also in your private message and I shall use the Benjamins you have kindly provided me to book a flight to Auckland.

Cheers,

Berndt Mann

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/04/2017 at 1:31am
bmann1942
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 12:03am
Everyone please focus on Bernt_mann, 
he needs attention

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 1:11am
Zhang Jike has a relaxed stage presence, is handsome, trim, a fangirl magnet, and can sing Chinese popular music in tune, in time, with a pleasant soft voice without, so far as I can tell, a great deal of resonance or range.  I predict that he will go on to have a successful second career as a pop singer.

But, like so much these days, his abilities as a singer are overhyped.  I have heard folksingers, jazz singers, pop singers from the '20s through the '80s, oratorio and opera singers, solo singers of renaissance music, country music singers, blues singers and singers from not only the United States and Europe but also Central and South America, the Middle East and Asia and Australia and Africa with far better, more emotional, and more arresting voices than Zhang has.  All of my classmates who were voice majors at the Cleveland Institute of Music had better, more flexible, and more sonorous voices than Zhang.

I believe that I myself at age 75 retain a better and more emotional and sonorous voice than Zhang, though I certainly would not care to face him across a table tennis table.  I studied voice for five years, three years with a professor of voice at the Cleveland Institute of Music who was also cantor at the Beechwold Synagogue in Beechwold, Ohio.  In the summer of 1971 I attended a class in vocal physiology given by Josephine Estill, a remarkable dramatic soprano who devoted her 90 year life to developing students all around the world who could teach people with vocal problems how to speak and sing more freely and efficiently.  So I think I know a little about singing and what it takes to make a truly inspiring singer, whether having had training, as I did, or whether simply having a natural affinity for singing.

I have recorded, all at O'Malley's and The Hut bars in Tucson, Arizona, six songs to YouTube, four of them unaccompanied and four never, such as an early 18th century aria, Sebben Crudele, sung in a bar before, let alone unaccompanied.  This when I was 70 years old.  They can be heard on bmann1942's Channel and hughesst.com.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/03/2017 at 1:46am
bmann1942
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:06pm
Another thing is ZJK is aware that their behaviors are disrupting his opponents and other players in the arena. He did communicate with them in hopes of getting them to understand and there was less wild chanting between points at the WTTC, though there is still much room for improvement.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

Not even stay and open his gift to show some nice attitude. too much egoism and rudeness.

In Asian cultures, it's considered VERY rude to open the gift on the spot.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 10:30pm
Hey Jike ....this is how it's done!

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

What a charmless git.

Yeah.  He drives a Lamborghini, will probably be a big obnoxious pop star, and either of us can sing him off the stage.  Life just ain't fair.
He is a pop star and was leading some Chinese singing competition, my wife was watching him for weeks
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

What a charmless git.

Yeah.  He drives a Lamborghini, will probably be a big obnoxious pop star, and either of us can sing him off the stage.  Life just ain't fair.
bmann1942
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 7:24pm
What a charmless git.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 6:49pm
Holy carp!  

If there's anything that table tennis needs even more than a Back to the Future approach to this hemophiliac sport, it's fangirls.

Note to Zhang Jike:  wait until you've become an established pop star.  Then you can brush off the mobs of fangirls waiting to simply get a glance of you and take your picture on their smartphones with a scrawled autograph or two, a slight smile and a wave, and exit stage right.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/02/2017 at 6:51pm
bmann1942
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 5:06pm
Guys don't forget he is an athlete not some famous mainstream media person. And also when was the meeting? After he was out of the tournament? Have you seen the documentary about his road to this wttc? You'll understand that he doesn't give a sh*t about some fan girls when he is fully focused on his last big tournament.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 5:02pm
It looks to me like it's something they threw at him that he did not condone, or even know about, and they post the video up (with English subtitle, which is rare), not only to make him look bad, but future stars would not dare to refuse to meet fan that they bring in.  There was not any video footage that show he even knew the organizer.  It could be anyone, including me, running a contest for my own profit, then wait outside the door for him to come out, and expect him to meet with the 2 FAN than I bring in and be nice with them.

*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Not even stay and open his gift to show some nice attitude. too much egoism and rudeness.

Girl:  Here's our gift for you.
ZJK:  Facepalm... LOL!

What happens after he walked away is this: his assistant goes up to the girls and says "You'll have to excuse Jike, he gets a bit emotional right before a tournament.  He did tell me that you can both give him a full body rubdown after he's done with his matches.  What do you think?"
Girls:  Zhang Jike CHA YO!!!
Assistant:  Great.  Also, please take those f#!*ing fans out of your face.  It's very annoying.

hahaha good one friend
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 4:22pm
Never really liked ZJK as a personality. He always came across to me as a little classless so this doesn't surprise me. Maybe he was just having a bad day though, who knows.

I do however still love his backhand.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 3:57pm
Holy Cow.  I made my post before without actually watching the video*.

My bad!

Man he is a complete jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* My observations about ZJK fangirls in Dusseldorf is accurate but even so, these two fans won an ITTF-sponsored contest to come and see him did not deserve to be treated like this!  He could have said SOMETHING, smiled, given them one or two minutes. 

Incredible.

Funny thing, as someone else pointed out, is that Weibo sponsored the contest, so ITTF was not really obligated to post this.  Not a good call by someone.

chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 3:37pm

In general, low self esteem invites sadism, which is very unfortunate.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 2:31pm
these girls were not pretty enough for ZJK
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 2:30pm
hahaha i feel sorry for the girls, they were probably disappointed and i feel sorry for ZJK for his manners
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 1:02pm
Reckless cheering... lol
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

I'm surprised the ITTF even posted this, he really is pretty awful in this.

But it's the ITTF, so I shouldn't be surprised.

yea once i saw this i was like "did they really just post this?...."

hilarious Clap
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 12:33pm
I'm surprised the ITTF even posted this, he really is pretty awful in this.

But it's the ITTF, so I shouldn't be surprised.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:57am

Girl:  Here's our gift for you.
ZJK:  Facepalm... LOL!

What happens after he walked away is this: his assistant goes up to the girls and says "You'll have to excuse Jike, he gets a bit emotional right before a tournament.  He did tell me that you can both give him a full body rubdown after he's done with his matches.  What do you think?"
Girls:  Zhang Jike CHA YO!!!
Assistant:  Great.  Also, please take those f#!*ing fans out of your face.  It's very annoying.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:57am
He's not even has a brief eye contact with the two girls. He's definitely not a well polite-educated man: nothing to do with an military educated WH when he showed his respects to an old lady that gave with a bouquet of flowers at the airport
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:40am
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic