FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Meet Your Idol - Zhang Jike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 12:03am
Everyone please focus on Bernt_mann, 
he needs attention

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:28am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Everyone please focus on Bernt_mann, 
he needs attention

Attention is always welcome, but right now money is more important.  If you have any (American dollars, preferably Benjamins please), to send me please let me know through this forum by private message and I shall send you my address. 

If any neurologist in New Zealand has come up with a cure for essential tremor, please let me know that also in your private message and I shall use the Benjamins you have kindly provided me to book a flight to Auckland.

Cheers,

Berndt Mann

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/04/2017 at 1:31am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:26pm
Zhang Jike may be something of a jerk, but he has accomplished something no other World Champion in the history of table tennis, male or female, has done:  becoming a succesful pop singer as well as a former World Champion table tennis player.  Props to that.

Heck, I don't know whether or not my hardbat World Champion heroes, Barna, Bergmann, Leach and Sido could carry a tune.

And it ain't easy, I would suppose, to entertain in front of adoring fangirls and people in the audience and people watching on television.

Okay.  Now to smackman.  If you want to hear artistry as opposed to entertainment, listen on YouTube to your countrywoman Kiri Te Kanawa.  She was one of the finest sopranos of the 20th century.

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/04/2017 at 1:31pm
bmann1942
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:38pm
In fact that is manifestly not the case, and I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that a table tennis historian like Berndt did not know this, indeed it seriously calls into the question every contention he has ever made.  Here is the horrible proof (and indeed, both of these are world champions, one in singles, and indeed my heroes as a young player).  Perhaps, though, Berndt managed to get it out of his mind.  That would be forgivable.

And if you really are really masochistic, you can still buy it.

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 1:44pm
I think ZJK did what he did is so that these girl fans will stay away from him, hence create less distraction for himself and other players on the court.  In all honesty, those "tt fans" are even more annoying than the 13 year old's screams.  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

In fact that is manifestly not the case, and I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that a table tennis historian like Berndt did not know this, indeed it seriously calls into the question every contention he has ever made.  Here is the horrible proof (and indeed, both of these are world champions, one in singles, and indeed my heroes as a young player).  Perhaps, though, Berndt managed to get it out of his mind.  That would be forgivable.

And if you really are really masochistic, you can still buy it.

And I am shocked -- SHOCKED == that you did not bother to read my post very carefully before jumping to the conclusion that you made and then stomping on it.  One recording in a recording studio does not a pop star make.  Did Stellan and Kjell go on, after their table tennis careers ended, to a succesful stint as well-known Swedish pop singers with adoring fangirls and all the glitz, bling and dancing girls that Zhang had, and probably will have, on his way to becoming the Chinese Justin Bieber or Justin Timberlake?  I think not.

BTW, it looked as though Stellan and Kjell were having fun, but I've heard better karaoke at O'Malley's on N. 4th St. here in Tucson.
bmann1942
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 2:37pm
One recording in a studio has made many pop stars Berndt!  They are called One Hit Wonders.

But of course my post was tongue in cheek. 

Actually Wikipedia has an extensive list of one-hit wonders.  It includes people, er, performers, like Steve Martin (for King Tut, 1978), Kermit the Frog (1979), Jerry Lewis (Rockabye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody, 1956), Senator Everett Dirksen (Gallant Men, 1966), and many others who were not regarded as actual singers (or in the case of Kermit, actual people) but better known for other things.   

But who among us can forget Moon Unit Zappa or the Jo Boxers, or Max Headroom?

In any case, admit it Berndt.  You were unaware of this atrocity committed by the two Swedish table tennis stars (one of whom quite sadly is no longer with us).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 2:58pm
Okay.  Gotta eat lunch in about ten minutes, but this shouldn't take long.

One hit wonders are not necessarily pop stars.  They are one hit wonders.

And of course your post was tongue in cheek.  As was your assertion that my post seriously calls into question every assertion (I) have ever made.  Does that include any statement that I might make, such as that Kiri Te Kanawa is a far, far, far better vocalist than any pop star, or any one hit wonder for that matter?

Yes, I admit I wasn't aware of the Stellan/Kjell studio musical massacre.  Have you ever listened to "The Ying Tong Song" made back in '57 or '58 by The Goons, one of whom was Peter Sellers?

Edited by berndt_mann - 08/04/2017 at 4:17pm
bmann1942
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic