Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting blog on plastlic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 9:23am
No.  Simply no.  The dynamics of a shuttlecock vs. a ball flying through the air are completely different.

Sponsored Links

ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 9:27am
The title "Evolution of the balls.."  made me laugh out loud.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2017 at 12:59pm
IFB GOES ON WITH FEATHER SHUTTLES.

IFB did remained unruffled in the face of the global crisis of paultry feather production, no panic.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2006-03/15/content_545515.htm

--------------
FATAL CHOICE BY ITTF.

There was no true indication of possible crisis in row celluloid production.   Ceased celluloid ball was a fatal folly by ITTF.   Plastic balls were quiet unnecessary.
Certainly, some more improvements needed to the ABS formulation so as to make the ball playing closer to celluloid material. Hope dies last.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 12:51pm
I just glossed through the blog but here are a couple of thoughts.

1. The guy in the blog seems to have a 'I said it so it must be true' type of tone. I see he has solid credentials but I have a habit of tuning out guys like these. Some of his points did have some validity though.

2. I LOVE the plastic ball, all brands except that crap Nittaku SHA, ABS no matter what material. I use mainly Yinhe seamless but most clubmates use the NP40+. I feel that the plastic ball provides the right balance, or maybe I should say a better balance, of skill and athleticism. In basketball, you may be the best shooter on the court, but if you are not quick enough to escape your defender, plant your feet, and get the shot out of your hands, then you won't score that much.

In TT, I have seen a prevalence of these 'touch players' who don't really do much running or footwork or positioning. There's this guy in my club that is from the 'Hungarian school of TT' and his strokes look like Gabor Gergely. When things get tight, he would have a super spinny serve and rip with his BH and point over. Nowadays, he is forced to make a second, third, fourth loop. The plastic ball's different properties now makes him actually work for a point. If you don't have some athleticism, the game will not be too friendly to you.

I also like the possibility that the new fitness requirements of the plastic ball can advance other coutries' potential. A good example is Aruna Quadri. This guy does not have the perfect form obviously but with his athletic abilities, he can be worldclass. As I've stated already in other threads, TT players need to work more off the table like a boxer does not only practice in a ring. You have to skip rope, lift weights high rep low resistance, do sprints, footwork drills away from the table, chop wood, do abdominal work, etc. I feel that TT is no longer just skills like billiards or darts but you now have to be much fitter than before.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

I just glossed through the blog but here are a couple of thoughts.

1. The guy in the blog seems to have a 'I said it so it must be true' type of tone. I see he has solid credentials but I have a habit of tuning out guys like these. Some of his points did have some validity though.

2. I LOVE the plastic ball, all brands except that crap Nittaku SHA, ABS no matter what material. I use mainly Yinhe seamless but most clubmates use the NP40+. I feel that the plastic ball provides the right balance, or maybe I should say a better balance, of skill and athleticism. In basketball, you may be the best shooter on the court, but if you are not quick enough to escape your defender, plant your feet, and get the shot out of your hands, then you won't score that much.

In TT, I have seen a prevalence of these 'touch players' who don't really do much running or footwork or positioning. There's this guy in my club that is from the 'Hungarian school of TT' and his strokes look like Gabor Gergely. When things get tight, he would have a super spinny serve and rip with his BH and point over. Nowadays, he is forced to make a second, third, fourth loop. The plastic ball's different properties now makes him actually work for a point. If you don't have some athleticism, the game will not be too friendly to you.

I also like the possibility that the new fitness requirements of the plastic ball can advance other coutries' potential. A good example is Aruna Quadri. This guy does not have the perfect form obviously but with his athletic abilities, he can be worldclass. As I've stated already in other threads, TT players need to work more off the table like a boxer does not only practice in a ring. You have to skip rope, lift weights high rep low resistance, do sprints, footwork drills away from the table, chop wood, do abdominal work, etc. I feel that TT is no longer just skills like billiards or darts but you now have to be much fitter than before.

This is pretty much where I stand on these things now, I enthusiastically agree with every single point made here by Beaver in that last post.  It took me a little while to get used to plastic balls, but once we got decent ones -- definitely not the crappy cellulose acetate ones!  -- I was pretty much fine with it.  Seamless, NP40+, D40+, all good as far as I am concerned.  It did force me to get fitter and to work on moving better.  That is not a bad thing.  Actually good for health.

I don't free-play with the seamless much these days but it is not because they are bad, and I have a pretty good sized bucket of them for multiball.

Edit added.   ITTF screwed up big time when they mandated a change to plastic balls before they had any good ones to put on the market.  If the first plastic balls on the market had been the NP40+ or the D40+ I think people would have not been so upset.  And of course they snuck in another significant increased in ball size in the process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic