FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Interesting blog on plastlic balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting blog on plastlic balls
    Posted: 08/02/2017 at 11:58pm
This blog came up on the tabletennis11.com web site and I thought it was interesting reading regarding the plastic ball:

I thought this blog was interesting for several reasons. First, it's got a succinct history of balls and nets. Second, it has a frank discussion of the reasons behind the change to plastic balls, rather than the usual muddled hand-waiving we see from ITTF.  Third, and most interesting, is his assessment of how the plastic ball has impacted play.

The comments about less spin and the need to hit earlier fits with comments that I just recently wrote to a friend.  It's nice to see someone with more illustrious credentials than me say much the same thing.

In the comments below the blog, one of the commentators says that the spin difference is 5-10% max.  I've seen a couple of people make similar statements here on MYTT and I think it's completely wrong.  If you already were playing a relatively low-spin game with celluloid, then you might only see a 5-10% spin difference.  However, if you played for super-heavy top spin with celluloid, then I'd say the spin reduction is more likely 30%.  I was one of those players and that's been my experience.
Sponsored Links

book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 12:21am
"Defensive players playing backspin defense are even in more trouble than they've already been". 

No wonder I lost to a bunch of players that originally can be easily beaten by me with the old celluloid balls. And no wonder I am utilizing less and less under-spin with the new plastic balls. I was a pure defensive player and now I am almost half & half, defensive and attacking, after the transition to the plastic balls.

BTW, currently some Japanese female table tennis players, like Miu Hirano, their style are also fast attacking type. In the sports of table tennis, defensive play, esp. chopping, quickly become an ancient arts. 

Another observation, plastic balls force players to utilize a sudden jerk action to hit the ball. Some people on that post's comments section says "I think one change I've seen is players punching the ball. Harimoto and others employ this tactic." 

I think the plastic balls is a bad development for table tennis - whoever the original idea it is from. Angry

Edited by book4all - 08/03/2017 at 12:41am
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 12:53am
I agree that the plastic ball has hurt the game, making it both less interesting to play and less interesting to watch. On the other hand, I don't see any change coming.  they're not going back to celluloid, so I guess the only hope is that they'll invent a plastic that emulates celluloid better.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 1:01am
May be, raise the net can limit the players with fast attacking that just gained the advantage from the plastic balls, help topspin players, and promote defensive play.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 1:35am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

May be, raise the net can limit the players with fast attacking that just gained the advantage from the plastic balls, help topspin players, and promote defensive play.
I've been thinking  this same thing.  If you read the comments below the blog, you'll see where someone from tabletennis11 says that they looked at raising the net 20 years ago but decided against it. However, that was in the days of 38mm balls, and I can see that a higher net wouldn't be helpful then. Now, with the plastic balls, a higher net won't bring back the spin we lost, but it will take away some of the new advantage of fast hitting.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:58am
I was with him until the end when he said the plastic ball made rallies shorter. I certainly don't agree at the club level.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 3:40am
Interesting article.. I like some of the historic background.

He also said "the harder surface of plastic which makes it impossible to give the ball as much spin as with celluloid balls".

This might well be true, but what is the logic behind this?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 5:33am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

This blog came up on the tabletennis11.com web site and I thought it was interesting reading regarding the plastic ball:

I thought this blog was interesting for several reasons. First, it's got a succinct history of balls and nets. Second, it has a frank discussion of the reasons behind the change to plastic balls, rather than the usual muddled hand-waiving we see from ITTF.  Third, and most interesting, is his assessment of how the plastic ball has impacted play.

The comments about less spin and the need to hit earlier fits with comments that I just recently wrote to a friend.  It's nice to see someone with more illustrious credentials than me say much the same thing.

In the comments below the blog, one of the commentators says that the spin difference is 5-10% max.  I've seen a couple of people make similar statements here on MYTT and I think it's completely wrong.  If you already were playing a relatively low-spin game with celluloid, then you might only see a 5-10% spin difference.  However, if you played for super-heavy top spin with celluloid, then I'd say the spin reduction is more likely 30%.  I was one of those players and that's been my experience.

Yes, the reduction of spin is substantial with the plastic ball, maybe 30% less spin . Despite this fact, people like Baal, wturber and nextlevel would argue with you all day that there is no reduction of spin with the plastic ball.

" The estimates are not scientific.  They are entirely subjective.  Without video the claims are just noise." ~ Baal

LOL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 7:39am
Trolls like to mix up arguments because they never cared about the arguments, they just want to upset people. The balls are bigger so they are going to spin less. This is pretty straightforward. No one argued that the plastic balls don't spin less.

The bigger issue is that some people argue that there are serious differences in spin between the different types of plastic balls. That is what is less clear. If trolling wasn't the aim, this simple distinction between plastic balls spin less vssome plastic balls spin less than others would have been easy to make. What would have been interesting is a plastic ball with a size of the 40mm ball. It is quite possible that the spin difference would be harder to see.

The other thing is whether the issues people are attributing to spin are really about revolutions per second or really about something else.

The article is interesting but the best players in the world are largely ranked the same way before and after the introduction of the plastic ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 7:58am
Miu Hirano and Harimoto, among some other fast players, their ranking, not changed?

If not with the new balls, we probably never heard their names.

Table tennis is becoming more a speed sports and less a skilled sports. That's the reason why those 15 years old beating 25 years old players lately.

Edited by book4all - 08/03/2017 at 8:23am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 8:48am
People throw around all kinds of numbers about spin and none of them are based on any quantitative objective measurement.  The new balls are bigger and slightly heavier, so they behave differently than the did before.  We have had 3.5 years to get used to it.  

The latest versions at least have a bounce height that is comparable to celluloid that we had before.  They are also round, durable, and relatively inexpensive (at least D40+).  

As for making the game less interesting to watch, all I can say is not for me.  In fact, a couple days ago I was looking at old videos to post on a different thread (the Is Waldner the Greatest thread), looked at a bunch, from 70s, 80s, 90s, and  00s and the one thing that struck me is that the rallies are not longer or more interesting.

As for making the game less interesting to play, again, that is a very personal thing, and all I can say is not for me -- at least once we had some reasonably play balls (which started with the seamless ones).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 8:59am

Miu Hirano and Harimoto, among some other fast players, their ranking, not changed?

If not with the new balls, we probably never heard their names.

Table tennis is becoming more a speed sports and less a skilled sports. That's the reason why those 15 years old beating 25 years old players lately.

Waldner made it to the finals of the ETTC in 1982 when he was 16 and physically not a whole lot more developed than Harimoto is now.  (He also got really pissed off as Appelgren just brought everything back and he sort of self-destructed, he is clearly still a kid).  By the way, that was the equivalent of the Asian championships now because in 1982 Europe as a whole was far far stronger in table tennis relative to China and Japan than it is now.  It is amazing the way the people dismiss these players like Hirano as having limited skill.      

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 9:19am
The more I watch Gatien pre 1999, the more I conclude that taking the ball close to the table with a loop was a technical evolution unrelated to the change in ball. Whether it could have been done consistently at the top of the men's game is an open question but that is not the case now or then.

The idea that kids who have put more hours into their game than some of us have put into almost any single hobby in our lives are not skilled is ridiculous. Mizutani was beating ranked players at 15 years old, so where did this idea that you need to play plastic to be a TT prodigy come from?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 9:34am
"Waldner made it to the finals of the ETTC in 1982 when he was 16" - everything has an exception. I am looking at a development trend of several Japanese younger players, and Waldner at 16 is just a case of an extraordinary talent.

"People throw around all kinds of numbers about spin and none of them are based on any quantitative objective measurement." - If there is a quantitative measurement, the spin of the plastic balls will be the same, or not the same,  as the celluloid balls?

"We have had 3.5 years to get used to it." - So people will be finally getting used to the inferior properties of the plastic balls, including me, soon. At this moment I am quite new on table tennis so the feeling is just fresh, hot from the oven. Smile

"The latest versions at least have a bounce height that is comparable to celluloid that we had before.  They are also round, durable, and relatively inexpensive (at least D40+)." - I agree on this statement. Also I can add one point to it, the latest Nittaku Premium 3 Star plastic balls I received last week, are almost "vastly" different from the same premium Nittaku plastic ball I used before. The feeling of bounce are more close to 40mm Premium Nittaku celluloid balls now. Still, the spin is not improved, and the bounce, is still a little too straight when hitting the opponent's table.     
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 10:26am
"Another example of a player who has used this new material to their advantage is the new Japanese star Harimoto Tomokazu, who in the 2017 World Championships marched into the quarterfinals at only 14 years of age! He profited massively from the plastic ball using his fast strokes devoid of spin, hitting the ball immediately after the bounce on the table."

Watch the most recent TPAC match vs Timo.  He seems to be putting heavy spin on the ball with his forehands.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 10:41am
"Watch the most recent TPAC match vs Timo.  He seems to be putting heavy spin on the ball with his forehands." - He probably is not winning because his "heavy" spins. 

Same as Miu Hirano, and Mima Ito. They all spin their balls but my feeling is, their major threat to the other best players, are their fast and quite flat (just judge from the video) hits/strokes. 
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 12:25pm
If we want to go  back to the spinier balls of the old days, should we also go back to the deader rubber and blades? 

I don't care even a little bit about the slight difference in the spin of the ball.  The game is lots of fun, the rallies last longer and the ball is more durable and cheaper.  We're all playing with the same ball.  My game was built on tons of spin, now it's not.  I've become a more rounded and better player because the plastic ball forced me to improve all aspects of my game.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 12:41pm
Great moment of the past, lobbing play with celluloid ball. To be never seen again. Never.

Edited by igorponger - 08/03/2017 at 12:51pm
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 1:00pm
Celluloid is gone plastic is here to stay . I have been using the D40+ 3 star balls for training and I have no complaints even the price is good at 144 for $80 and they are very durable . Adapt and overcome or just complain I guess.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:01pm
Several comments:

It's inaccurate to say that we have had 3.5 years to get used to the poly ball.  The first balls came out just about 3 years ago and very few amateurs were playing with them until  the national organizations starting pushing  them for tournaments, which is more like 2.5 years ago. Moreover, the behavior of poly the balls has changed drastically.  The newly popular DHS D40+ balls only became available last winter.  Really, I feel like we've only had stable quality balls for about one to one-and-a-half years.

Also, if you really want to adjust to changes in the game (rules or equipment), you need to watch the evolution of professional players and the next generation of youths.  Hence, we now see Harimoto, but in a few years there may be many players in his style.

Second comment~
I don't have scientific measurements of spin rotation, but I can demonstrate a major (maybe 30%?) difference in spin on the ball.  On my slow-to-medium speed high spin loops, I can find multiple players who cannot block the celluloid ball more than 50% of the time, but who almost never miss against poly.  The difference is so large that it's hard to believe it's the same players.

Among pros, the poly ball has clearly caused some players to do better while others do worse compared to the days of celluloid.  That has to be spin, as much as anything else. 

I do think that the spin change has less to do with the increase in size and more to do with the change in material, which changes the density and hardness of the ball.

Third comment~
Simply saying that poly balls bounce the same height as celluloid when dropped doesn't mean they have the same bounce.  My observation (not a scientific measurement) is that poly balls bounce differently than celluloid balls at different impact speeds and different impact angles.  Again, I think this is related to the change in density and hardness.

I am not arguing that we should go back to celluloid -- much as I would like to, that will never happen.  I am arguing that the poly ball has hurt the spin game, which has taken something away from our sport, and that the plastic chemistry needs more tweaking.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Yes, the reduction of spin is substantial with the plastic ball, maybe 30% less spin . Despite this fact, people like Baal, wturber and nextlevel would argue with you all day that there is no reduction of spin with the plastic ball.

" The estimates are not scientific.  They are entirely subjective.  Without video the claims are just noise." ~ Baal

LOL

I've wondered, because of increased weight and circumference the ball spins slower... But couldn't it still be carrying the same energy on impact?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:21pm
Air friction/drag make a bigger ball lose more energy on its way there.

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I've wondered, because of increased weight and circumference the ball spins slower... But couldn't it still be carrying the same energy on impact?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:28pm

I don't have scientific measurements of spin rotation, but I can demonstrate a major (maybe 30%?) difference in spin on the ball.  On my slow-to-medium speed high spin loops, I can find multiple players who cannot block the celluloid ball more than 50% of the time, but who almost never miss against poly.  The difference is so large that it's hard to believe it's the same players.

there are many possible explanations for this beyond the spin on the ball in revs/sec or angular momentum or what ever measure you might make, but I don't want to argue this, it has been argued a lot.  For sure no number anyone provides to the 'reduction in spin' can be taken seriously without a lot of really expensive video measurement under really controlled conditions.  It is moot anyway.  Plastic balls came in 2014.  I personally started using them right away because it was obvious where we were headed.  I know that was before a lot of people did.

The point I made earlier in response to the contention that a young prodigy like Harimoto can only be explained by new balls was that Waldner made the finals of the top continental championship of his era when he was only slightly older and not much bigger.  We will see how Hariomoto plays when he has some muscle mass to go with his amazing skill sets.  (Among other things, he has a ridiculously good serve, amazing for such a young player).  It is too soon to say now.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

You could put the same energy into the ball, but it's flight characteristics will be different.  For example, the celluloid balls tend to drop faster on a heavy top spin loop than the plastic.  And when the ball hits the opponents paddle, it's rebound will be different, with more spin reaction (going upwards from top spin).

In the blog, it says the poly ball is faster and I've been wondering about that because I would also think the poly ball would be slightly slower. However, I think what he's really saying is that if you're playing this style with less spin and hitting early, the effect is like faster shots with less time to react.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:39pm

"Waldner made it to the finals of the ETTC in 1982 when he was 16" - everything has an exception. I am looking at a development trend of several Japanese younger players, and Waldner at 16 is just a case of an extraordinary talent.

"People throw around all kinds of numbers about spin and none of them are based on any quantitative objective measurement." - If there is a quantitative measurement, the spin of the plastic balls will be the same, or not the same,  as the celluloid balls?

"We have had 3.5 years to get used to it." - So people will be finally getting used to the inferior properties of the plastic balls, including me, soon. At this moment I am quite new on table tennis so the feeling is just fresh, hot from the oven. Smile

"The latest versions at least have a bounce height that is comparable to celluloid that we had before.  They are also round, durable, and relatively inexpensive (at least D40+)." - I agree on this statement. Also I can add one point to it, the latest Nittaku Premium 3 Star plastic balls I received last week, are almost "vastly" different from the same premium Nittaku plastic ball I used before. The feeling of bounce are more close to 40mm Premium Nittaku celluloid balls now. Still, the spin is not improved, and the bounce, is still a little too straight when hitting the opponent's table.     

The trend of younger Japanese players is more likely to be due to their more intensive national training infrastructure and not to the ball.  Most people have argued that these balls actually require greater strength, which normally comes with age.   

Also, I definitely maintain that if you don't have some video measurement system to actually count revs/sec or angular momentum, you don't know entirely what is going on.  Jackwong likes his 30% spin number.  He once claimed that two different ALC blades he has (Viscarias if I recall correctly) differ by 30% in the spin they deliver.  This is of course utterly absurd.

I agree these balls spin less.  They are heavier and a little larger in diameter.  They also move through the air more slowly, and with a somewhat different trajectory than before.  What I disagree with are the numbers people try to put on the spin reduction on the basis of what....  The Force?  Their Spidey Sense?  Their X-Ray Vision?

Those numbers have NOTHING to do with the actual spin or angular momentum on the new ball relative to the older ones, and are actually an estimate of how much difficulty people are perceiving in adjusting to the new balls.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The more I watch Gatien pre 1999, the more I conclude that taking the ball close to the table with a loop was a technical evolution unrelated to the change in ball. Whether it could have been done consistently at the top of the men's game is an open question but that is not the case now or then.

The idea that kids who have put more hours into their game than some of us have put into almost any single hobby in our lives are not skilled is ridiculous. Mizutani was beating ranked players at 15 years old, so where did this idea that you need to play plastic to be a TT prodigy come from?

Gatien is a great example.  Also the forehand of Wang Tao.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The point I made earlier in response to the contention that a young prodigy like Harimoto can only be explained by new balls was that Waldner made the finals of the top continental championship of his era when he was only slightly older and not much bigger.  We will see how Hariomoto plays when he has some muscle mass to go with his amazing skill sets.  (Among other things, he has a ridiculously good serve, amazing for such a young player).  It is too soon to say now.

I'm always careful about making claims that compare players in different eras because they played under different conditions.  I think I can say that Harimoto benefits from the poly ball with his style and he's not too badly hurt by his relative lack of muscle mass.  In Waldner's day, one could argue that he benefited from speed glue, which made it easier to generate powerful shots.

In general terms, I think anything that promotes less importance of spin, and more advantage to playing shots early, will be to the advantage of younger players.  Maybe we'll see a new era with many good players who are only 15 or 16?
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:45pm
I think Cole is correct, the balls don't seem to have as much spin as the 40s did, but after contact they seem to lose less spin than the old balls.  So the bounce may be similar, but the effect of the spin is different than before.  This coming from a mid-level players perspective.  Players that spin on both sides my have a different perception.

I have made some changes in my game directly related to the new balls.  I changed from long pips out to first Nittaku Pimplemini and more recently to SpinLord Keiler.  I couldn't find any consistency against the early seamed poly balls with my long pips.  Looking back, I probably wasn't patient enough to allow the  balls to develop before making equipment changes.

About the only one I don't like (beside the early seamed balls) is the Butterfly G40+.  The other balls I have adapted to fairly well.  
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 2:58pm
Part of what we are seeing in the younger generation is the adaptability of their minds.  It's no surprise that the young generation is leading the way into a new style of TT.  Their coaches are to be commended for nurturing these new players and their style. It is much like when sponge was first introduced, when the net was lowered, or when speed glue was discovered.  And this could be the new dominant style going forward, or it could be a transition on the way to something else, as players adapt and other styles either survive or go the way of the choppers and become rare.  
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Great moment of the past, lobbing play with celluloid ball. To be never seen again. Never.

This is the third time you've posted a plastic ball rally and called it celluloid. Why?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic