Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS sponge differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS sponge differences
    Posted: 08/03/2017 at 7:53am
Hello all,

I ordered some DHS rubbers lately, and they seem to all have different sponges, so I wonder if anybody can identify them.

On this picture you can see from left to right: H2 comm 41 deg, H2 comm 39 deg, PF4 New.

What's going on there? H2 41 has clearly a completely different sponge. Much darker. And it also displays significant doming out of the package. PF4 New has very slight dome, but H2 39 is absolutely flat.
PF4 and H2 39 are similar, but PF4 is still darker.

The fonts on the print and its intensity of black color are also different on the H2s.

Who can explain?
Sponsored Links

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 8:46am
1st looks like H3-50. are you sure they're genuine?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 9:42am
You can never be sure with DHS products Tongue
The stickers say that all are viable codes, but the one of the first rubber on the left says it has been checked before.

Why do you think looks like H3-50? Same color / printing?
Sponge is definitely 41 deg though. No way it's #50 sponge.
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 10:06am
well the #50 sponge is kinda red/dark orange.

if it says the number was already entered it is probably a fake one. the other 2 looks similar from the photo.
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 3:18pm
I actually suspect these differences may be attributed to accidentally putting more/less dye during manufacturing processSmile

Hozuki, do you think PF4 New sponge is #20 39 deg?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 4:55pm
I think so, yes.
Hardness should be 'over 39 degree' though. That's what several online shops explicitly claim.
The only differences are in sponge thickness, one version is medium (that's also what's written on my sponge in chinese characters) and the other version is max, if I recall correctly.

Btw I tried the 'fake' H2 sheet today and it plays superbly well. Before I only played 39 deg or unlabeled ones, and 41 deg does anything so much better, I wonder why anyone would want to use the softer ones.
I know that sb would make the physical strength argument, but if you can't make full use of chinese rubbers then you would probably be better off with a tensor on FH.
young dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 5:11pm
The 4 sponge #s I remember off the top of my head for DHS are 20, 22, 50, and 60.  There may be a 19 and 21, but I forget.  Of the 4 I listed, I think 20 or 22 is the blue sponge, and the 20 or 22 (that's not the blue sponge) is the yellow sponge.  50 and 60 are DHS cake sponges.
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 6:20pm
#18 - Softer, (I think 37 degrees) elastic sponge that was used on the DHS Memo 2. It was more of a Japanese style sponge, and did not require tuning.

#19 - Older sponge version, it was available for a short while after the speed glue era. It was more yellow than the regular sponge, and was designed to be used with the DHS intensifier. It was just temporary, until NEO came out

#20 - Regular, orange sponge. It had the same number during the speed glue era, but it played differently. When NEO came out, DHS switched from producing the old #20 sponges to new ones. The old ones are no longer available unless you buy a really old sheet.

#21 - Old generation of blue sponge, meant for speed glue.

#22 - Blue sponge, meant for booster (only in provincial and national versions)

#50 - Red cake sponge, used on H3-50.

#60 - Tinarc cake sponge, it is soft (37 degrees) and yellow. It is elastic. It is used in TG3-60, Tinarc, and can also be found with an H3 national topsheet (used by Xu Xin for the BH)

#65 - White cake sponge (37-38 degrees). This is, to my knowledge, only found with an H3 national topsheet. Wang Liqin used this sponge and H3 on the backhand. A few sheets can still be found for sale, they are most likely fakes or training rubbers that were bought for WLQ when he was playing.

Edited by Chairman Meow - 08/04/2017 at 12:12am
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2017 at 7:11pm
Thanks, that's a good compilation!Smile

However! There are still things that puzzle me. I bought my 41 deg H2 from a seller that claimed it is #22 sponge... but it's not blue as you can see on the pic.
But it gets better: there is also an option for H2 39 deg with sponge #215! LOL
Im referring to this offer. (Yes, it's a reputable seller.)
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 12:10am
That seller is referring to thickness. 22 for 2.2mm, 215 for 2.15mm. H2 commercial only comes with the #20 sponge, there is no way you are getting it with anything else unless it is fake.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2017 at 8:38am
Omg. I don't know how I didn't think of that before Pinch
The seller also confirmed it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic