tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

New Training - Week 8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Training - Week 8
    Posted: 08/09/2017 at 4:08pm
I have finished 2 months of my training with no playing and frequent video monitoring during training.  Because I was progressing slowly and having to spend extra time on various phases I am behind my original schedule.  Because of this I skipped a few steps and last week focused on Fh-Bh transition with footwork at approximately game speed balls.  Mainly I was focusing on hitting from the Bh side of the table since that is where I seem to have the most trouble.   

My Fh from the Bh side of the table has always felt awkward.  When you add moving to the ball to the mix it becomes atrocious.  Maybe it is because I do not practice it enough.  It has never been part of my basic warmup or drill set.  Also there is a big visual difference in hitting from the Fh and Bh sides for the off-the-bounce Fh.  On the Fh side I am hitting right at the table edge.  On the Bh side I need to contact the ball much later, but I think I end up wanting to make contact at the same position relative to the table.  

I am also amazed that after 2 months I am no closer to having the stroke form I want.  I can shadow correctly all day.  With single balls at slow pace I do ok.  But as soon as I do a drill with any transition, footwork, or even slight time pressure I go back to the old incorrect form.  On the Bh side this mostly involves lowering my hand almost below the table before trying to raise it back up to the correct height to start the forward swing.  This makes me late on faster balls and also causes me to hit the ball long since I end up swinging more upward than I intended.  On the Fh side there are multiple issues.  I still lower my hand well below my elbow.  When backswinging I drop my left shoulder instead of the right one.  I also pull my elbow back and up close to the body instead of rotating it out and back.  Finally I still am hitting with a forward arm motion and then rotating my hips after ball contact instead of using the hips earlier to provide power to the shot.

Anyway the video below shows me doing 2 drills.  First is a simple Bh-Fh transition from the Bh side of the table.  I am trying to hit both shots to my opponent's Bh corner.  In the second one it is Bh-Fh-Bh-step around Fh of a ball to my elbow.

Mark - World's worst table tennis student

Tt Gold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2017 at 4:35pm
Theology word that I can say is "stiff". Seriously you don't look fluid at all( no offense ). Do you only practice with a tt robot or are you also doing drills with partners. I know that playing drills with a robot is completely different as you can't follow the ball, which makes it even harder to play fluid. You need to get a rhythm so that you can be more relaxed. I get that you want to practice your form but do you feel comfortable when doing these drills? It obviously will feel a little weird as the technique is a little different but you shouldn't feel uncomfortable, which you look like. Maybe you should practice with a partner and post a video again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic