Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Good table tennis shoes (that lasts)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good table tennis shoes (that lasts)
    Posted: 08/11/2017 at 10:37am
Hi, I've had some table tennis shoes. The problem is that they generally don't last that long. Stiga has the record with a month of usage before the seams broke.

I just want a tip, wich shoe is good and not too expensive (hopefully not over €100)
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 10:39am
Try badminton shoes. They are made of leather and last much longer than that.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 10:47am
Just go to your local store and get some good athletic, court shoes.

Could be some lowtop basketball shoes, etc. It really doesn't have to be TT. Trust me having TT shoes won't help you play like Ma Long. ;)

My training partner wasted some $$ buying some Tibhar shoes online only to find out Tibhar's sizes are different from how they are here locally and I guess they're too big for him.

Meanwhile, my Pumpa Tazons I got from shopko for I think $50 served me just fine for a long time.
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:00am
I use asics gel rocket range of shoes over the years.
Good cushion, comfortable and reasonably lasting; 2 - 3 years.
Less than US$50.00 per pair

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:13am
"Could be some lowtop basketball shoes, etc. It really doesn't have to be TT. Trust me having TT shoes won't help you play like Ma Long. ;)"

Probably the worst advice Ive seen here. Basketball shoes are way too hard!! TT shoes need to be flexible!! B shoes feel like your wearing a Brink armored truck on your feet.

Racketball , badmington shoes yeah, maybe even indoor soccer shoes perhaps. Just as long as they have that rubber sole that grips the floor a little. Best are TT shoes. My first pair was a Tibhar shoe and those were pretty good. They go for about $50. Light, flexible and grippy. You might wanna throw in an extra cushion in-sole.

FdT

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:27am
I've been using volleyball shoes for years and love them.  More cushioning and better grip than table tennis shoes.  Badminton shoes would probably be the same.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:33am
it all depends on how much cushioning you want, I bought quite a few pairs of asics volleyball shoes but now I like the Yonex court shoes better
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:38am

My butterfly shoes have been durable.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:39am
Following options:

Mizuno Wave Drive 7/8: If you have a medium-wide foot, these will fit fine. They last a decent amount of time (3+ years with 3x practice per week)

ASICS Gel-Blade 4/5: If you have a wide foot, these will fit fine. They are also great if you are heavier (95kg/200lbs+). Asics are usually super comfortable as well due to their great cushioning

Yonex SHB-01/02: Very high-end craftsmanship. Will only fit if you have a slim foot. They have a very particular shape and either they fit you or they don't. If they fit, you will wear nothing else, if they don't move on to another brand. See above.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by henningf henningf wrote:

Hi, I've had some table tennis shoes. The problem is that they generally don't last that long. Stiga has the record with a month of usage before the seams broke.

I just want a tip, wich shoe is good and not too expensive (hopefully not over €100)

Go for indoor court shoes (or volleyball, squash, badminton etc). They have a better performance to price ratio, and are more widely available than TT shoes. You really wanna try shoes before buying them so being widely available in physical stores is a big advantage.

Edited by ZingyDNA - 08/11/2017 at 11:55am
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 11:57am
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

http://www.racquetballwarehouse.com/AsicsShoes.html

+1 

any asics should last a while. My Asics Gel Court Control lasted me 2+ years. I finally changed them to Mizuno Wave Drive 8. So far its been a month and they are holding up ok.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 1:08pm
If your shoes are still in decent shape but just starting to develop tears or seams breaking or whatever, and you'd hate to toss them out, you can extend their life using Shoe Goo.  My current pair of Butterfly shoes started breaking after 6 months but with Shoe Goo, it's now two years and still going strong.  Highly recommended.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 2:59pm
I had a pair of Yasaka shoes that split very soon after I started using them, maybe 3 or 4 months.

My pair of Mizuno Kaiserburg 4's are like a tank with no splitting at all, I practice 4x a week about 3 hours each time. Great for wide feet even though I dont have wide feet lol. I've had them almost 9 months now

Edited by jk92 - 08/11/2017 at 3:00pm
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 3:03pm
yeah I bought two pairs of Mizuno's about 3 years ago.
I can still use them alternatively. They are worn but not worn out!! (practice 3 to 4 x/week)

FdT
htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 3:17pm
my asics gel blade iii's have lasted and performed really well, used for table tennis and gym even though they are technically a squash shoe. not sure what i'll do when they finally die as none of the new table tennis shoes come in plain black :/
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Try badminton shoes. They are made of leather and last much longer than that.

+1, or try handball/squash shoes. I've had the same pair of Asics Gel Blast for about 6 years of regular use now and they're still in very good shape overall. The only thing I have to replace every few years are the insoles.

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by htfu htfu wrote:

my asics gel blade iii's have lasted and performed really well, used for table tennis and gym even though they are technically a squash shoe. not sure what i'll do when they finally die as none of the new table tennis shoes come in plain black :/

...get some colored ones ;-)
Joking aside, if you're happy with Asics, there are some black shoes among the ones in the link that DreiZ sent above.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 4:29pm
nah, i'm a model t ford colour scheme guy ;P

probably going to try out some mizunos next, dropping a lot of weight makes this an option ... although the cost and durability may still swing it in favour of gel blades or whatever the current version of it is.
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 4:49pm
+1 for Mizuno, I use badmington model those are some quality shoes.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 9:00pm
As many have said - buy Mizuno's [Wave Medal for more support, wave drive if you are a fit 12-25 year old with no excess weight and don't want great support for your feet].

They are durable and comfortable and great.

My feet are generally quite good at breaking weak shoes... I've had my mizuno wave medals for around 12-14 odd months and they are still in good knick, and i used them for badminton for around 8 months weekly too [for 4-5 hours a week, singles] as well as table tennis weekly too, until I got some Yonex badminton shoes [Now I use the yonex for badminton, and mizuno's for TT]

- badminton wears your shoes out very easily, hence why badminton shoes are very thick and very strong, almost like tennis shoes] so the fact I used my mizuno's for that purpose as well as TT for so long is a testament to their solidity.
- Badminton shoes are good for 'jumping' whereas in TT you don't jump but side-step. So its better to get TT shoes - my Yonex's are clearly slower/not as clean for TT. They are a lot thicker etc. i.e. support you jumping, whereas that thickness is unnecessary for TT.

Careful when buying mizuno shoes. They are true to size for me, but for many others, they run large. They support wide feet [like mine]

nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2017 at 10:42pm
I just switched to cross fit shoes. Bought a pair of weightless Asics with really great lateral support. The good thing is that cross fit is the latest craze so you can find dozens and dozens of them in any store. Good and inexpensive.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2017 at 5:57pm
The blue colored tt shoes from Tibhar work very well for me. Confortable and durable.

Shoes are tricky though. People have very different feet and requirements.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

I use asics gel rocket range of shoes over the years.
Good cushion, comfortable and reasonably lasting; 2 - 3 years.
Less than US$50.00 per pair
penholderxxx
==============
+100
I have a pair of Asics Gel Rocket 6, playing 4 times a week. After 4 years, they are still fine.
The current price is around $62, I think
skip3119
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 12:08am
I've tried basketball shoes, volleyball shoes, badminton shoes, handball shoes, tennis shoes, tt shoes, you name it. I have tried asics, mizuno, yonex, bty, etc. It doesn't matter what I wear. After a month, I wear through the sole. I use them exclusively on Taraflex flooring, and take good care of them. Despite this, the soles are gone within a month.

I play every day, 3-4 hours a day. The amount of money I am putting in to shoes is almost as much as if I bought a new sheet of Tenergy every month. It is ridiculous, I am sure that this is a case of 'engineered weakness'.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 1:33am
Tennis and bball shoes are really tough. Thats amazing you can chew through them.
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 8:55am
To get the BEST out of your shoes you should weigh 400 lbs.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

I've tried basketball shoes, volleyball shoes, badminton shoes, handball shoes, tennis shoes, tt shoes, you name it. I have tried asics, mizuno, yonex, bty, etc. It doesn't matter what I wear. After a month, I wear through the sole. I use them exclusively on Taraflex flooring, and take good care of them. Despite this, the soles are gone within a month.

I play every day, 3-4 hours a day. The amount of money I am putting in to shoes is almost as much as if I bought a new sheet of Tenergy every month. It is ridiculous, I am sure that this is a case of 'engineered weakness'.

Any thought on why you go through many more shoes than other players?  Do other players at your club going through as many shoes as you?

Edited by mts388 - 08/14/2017 at 11:32am
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 11:56am
+1 for Mizuno here.
WAVE KAISERBURG is the ones I love. They are wide shoes.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

:o 

I've used the same mizuno shoes for 2 years haha but I don't mind playing with slightly worn out shoes!
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic