Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A homemade topspin training wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A homemade topspin training wheel
    Posted: 08/14/2017 at 10:53pm
LOL

A commercial topspin training wheel  ( ref:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztZKeGZsao ) may cost you around 150. $ US  ( Ref: http://www.pingpongdepot.com/spin-wheel-tsp/) .

A homemade one in my case costs only  2.0$ US  and one hour  of work .  Here is my story :

I looked around in my garage and found an old  pair of wheel supports for my kid’s small bicycle  ( similar to the one in Pic_01   ).  I am sure you can find  these used support  wheels at   any bikeshop , recycle centers or garage sales for a few bucks . I removed the bracing bar and ended up with the wheel and its support frame  as in  Pic_02 , Pic_03  and Pic_04 . Then I made the supporting base for the wheel with 2 pieces of wood cut to sizes indicated in Pic_05  .    All the required parts & accessories were shown in Pic_06 .  Various details of the  complete assembly  were shown  in    Pic_07 &  Pic_08   .   

In my design, I can adjust the height of the wheel  relative to the table surface . The wheel  may also  be rotated around to various angles as the assembly is attached to the table only by a C-clamp ( see Pic_09).

You can see my  topspin training wheel in action in the youtube video here :

https://youtu.be/LrDjBfxXi1w

Important Notes:

Do not use your  expensive paddle on this type of training spinning wheel !  The rubber tire on the wheel   will damage it for sure   Cry!  I only used a cheap one from the dollar store for the training purposes . Wink

LOL

Pic_01

Pic_02

Pic_03

Pic_04

Pic_05

pic_06

Pic_07

Pic_08

Pic_09

Edited by mike1250 - 08/14/2017 at 11:44pm
Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 11:31pm
Awesome! Well done. 

Inexpensive and the skill required is minimum. 

Next project should be a ball picker!! That's one project that's on my to-do list.

FdT
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 1:13am
Here is our version:
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Here is our version:

Wow...it looks professional  indeed . How much do you pay for it ? LOLLOL

Can you rotate the wheel at an angle other than only 90 degree  to the table edge ?

The supporting frame for the wheel could be made longer to allow for rotation .

If you can buy just the wheel ( i.e. apparently, it comes from a tricycle for kids , see photos below ) , you can make  a topspin training device  for yourself for less than 20. $ US 

The wheels from the blue tricycle seems much better as they are  smooth and thus cause  less damage to the paddle in the long run .

Edited by mike1250 - 08/15/2017 at 12:31pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Next project should be a ball picker!! That's one project that's on my to-do list.

For the meantime , how about the "Poop scoop" solution ?   You can buy a dog poop scooper at a Dollarama store  (in Canada) for 3.50 $ CA   (see Pic_01) .  It worked great for me so far . It can scoop up up to 6 balls at a time ( see Pic_2, Pic_03 & Pic_04) 

A cheap & higher tech. solution could be a portable  Shark  Vacuum cleaner with some homemade plastic pipe contraption  ...  LOLLOLLOL  to suck up the balls ??

Image result for portable shark turbo hand vac  image

Good luck &  Happy inventing .... ClapBig smileLOL

Pic_01

Pic_02

Pic_03

Pic_04

Edited by mike1250 - 08/16/2017 at 2:39pm
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:00pm
Cool. Here's mine:

I can hit with any bat as hard as I can without fear of damage.
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

Cool. Here's mine:

Ingenious  ! my man  !!  I imagine you can set up the ball holder on a heavy base . In this case, you can practice topspin with your favorite paddle on any table top any time !! I like this simple  creation .  Thanks for sharing your creatve ingenuity .
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by mike1250 mike1250 wrote:

Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

Cool. Here's mine:

Ingenious  ! my man  !!  I imagine you can set up the ball holder on a heavy base . In this case, you can practice topspin with your favorite paddle on any table top any time !! I like this simple  creation .  Thanks for sharing your creatve ingenuity .
hi isn't the ball the wrong way
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by mike1250 mike1250 wrote:

Yes. In fact, I'm taking it to the Gym today. I HATE doing treadmills and bikes so I'm gonna be setting up this bad boy on one of the unused benches. It'll be awesome getting some loops in in between sets. Makes for a good HIIT workout.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 9:49am
Mike 1250: Is your homemade table tennis table, in the picture,  outdoor suitable? Rain/water proof? Looks simple and fun! Thanks!

Edited by book4all - 08/17/2017 at 9:51am
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

Mike 1250: Is your homemade table tennis table, in the picture,  outdoor suitable? Rain/water proof? Looks simple and fun! Thanks!

In Canada the winter may come around Mid-November so I made this ping-pong table completely portable and playable from May to November  only . I gave it 5 coats of exterior  Varathane paint  but I never let it exposed to rain . It is always covered up over night by a heavy duty water proof tarp .

Here are a short summary of its construction specifications :

1) The table was made up by four pieces of   1/2'' thick plywood  cut from  furniture grade   5'x5' boards  . As   I have no place  in the basement for the table,  it must be stored in an external shed in the backyard garden. When assembled  ( by 1/4" O.D.  screws & wingnut  & washers)  , the table dimesion is 5'x9'  .

2) The table was supported on 4 portable & adjustable metal sawhorses  at 30" in height .

Image result for metal sawhorse image

3) Bouncing capacity of the table is ITTF compliant :  the ball bounce more than 9"  high from a drop of 12"   (i.e. the coefficient of constitution must be at least 0.77 ) 

Edited by mike1250 - 08/17/2017 at 7:56pm
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 12:04pm
Thanks Mike! This looks fun and like something I might want to do if got some time and energy.  Many outdoor table tennis table does not have required bounciness.
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2017 at 2:28pm

A Portable Topspin Training Devive for Table Tennis

Here is my newest topspin training device yet ..Big smile 

You can carry it around in your gymbag  and practice topspin on any desktop  without fear of damaging your favorite paddle  ...

Take look at this youtube video and comment  please... Thanks

Edited by mike1250 - 08/20/2017 at 2:32pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2017 at 6:54pm
Very good device for those who have no partner. Is the adjustable angle of the top piece for making appropriate stroke paths for different incoming spins? For example, large angle for looping backspin, small angle for looping topspin. Can one use an old cribbage board for the base of this device?
Could the top piece be somehow flipped upside down for choppers?

Edited by heavyspin - 08/20/2017 at 6:56pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

. Is the adjustable angle of the top piece for making appropriate stroke paths for different incoming spins?....

Can one use an old cribbage board for the base of this device?

Could the top piece be somehow flipped upside down for choppers?

1) Yes , the angle of the arm can be adjusted by changing the position of the wire support  (See Pic_10  to Pic_12  ) .

Pic_10

Pic_11

Pic_12

2)  Certainly you can use an old  cribbage for the base  if you have a spare one . However , I would recommend  using a piece of 2x4  about 9"  long for stabilty . If the weight of the base is not heavy enough , the whole device may slide along or even flip over if you brush the ball incorrectly ! I also glued a strip of rubber at the bottom of the base as an antiskid measure .

3) As the design stands now, it is for topspin training only . It can be used for chopping training if you modify the  support system for the arm .

BTW, thanks for the suggestion as chopping training has not been included as an objective of the current version of the design .  I am thinking of another design that could be used for topspin & chopping  training at the moment . I'll post when the prototype is finished   LOLLOL (Hopefully soon) LOLLOLLOL

Edited by mike1250 - 08/20/2017 at 10:35pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2017 at 10:32pm
Here are some essential  details of the design:

1)  Pic_13 & 14 show the topview and sideview  . The frontview and endview are shown in Pic_15 & 16 .

2) In Pic_17 and 18 , the device is flipped open and shown in topview and sideview

3) The dimensions of the wire support  of the arm are shown in Pic_19

4) The device is placed next to a pin-pong paddle for size comparison purpose .

Pic_13  Topview

Pic_14  Sideview

Pic_15  Endview

Pic_16  Frontview

Pic_17  Topview of the device with the arm fully opened

Pic_18  Sidevew of the device with the arm fully opened

Pic_19  Dimensions of the wire support of the arm

Pic_20  Size of the device relative to a ping-pong paddle

Edited by mike1250 - 08/21/2017 at 10:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic