Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it ITTF compliant if rubber glued this way ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it ITTF compliant if rubber glued this way ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ITTF compliant if rubber glued this way ?
    Posted: 08/16/2017 at 2:00pm

To block the index finger from creeping towards the center of the backhand side of the paddle, I glued the black rubber at an angle  (see pic_01)  .  Pic_02 showed  the backhand  of my grip .  So far, this new arrangement worked very welll for me without having to resort to any other blocking attachment to the paddle .

Is it legal under ITTF rules if I glue the black rubber this way ?

Pic_01

Pic_02
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 3:02pm
Yes
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 3:32pm
Not sure the over-lapping edge tape is strictly legal though.
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:00pm
how about increasing the angle so that the whole index finger is against the rubber edge?
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yes

Thanks Baal ! Your certification certainly boosts my confidence !   Clap

Edited by mike1250 - 08/16/2017 at 4:17pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by darucla darucla wrote:

Not sure the over-lapping edge tape is strictly legal though.

You are correct ! In Principle, you can't put anything on the rubbers under ITTF rules . I am testing this rubber so I  used a very diluted glue  for easy removal . The overlapped edge tape was intended to ensure further  attachment to the blade  during the testing period .
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

how about increasing the angle so that the whole index finger is against the rubber edge?

Certaily , you can do that . As you could see in Pic_02, there was still some available uncovered space on the blade . I can increase the angle to 15 degee or more to optimize the configuration .
Your keen observation is well appreciated . Thanks .
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

.... we need to keep in mind in our gluing job that in ittf/usatt sanctioned tourneys the electrical tape will be removed.

If the electrical tape does not show on the rubber surface , then we are O.K.  BTW, I usually replace the edge tape by  electrical tape and make sure it covers both the rubber & the sponge edges .

Edited by mike1250 - 08/16/2017 at 6:37pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

I increased the angle to 20 degree  (See Pic_03)  and it looked more natural (see Pic_04) . It also felt a lot more comfortable with the backhand loop  in my case . Thanks BigFatLoop .

(Note : This blade is the Yinhe  Milky way EC 12 (5 ply + 2 carbon) ; weight 83. gr. ) 

Pic_03

Pic_04

Edited by mike1250 - 08/16/2017 at 10:01pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 1:05pm
I wonder if you lose the point when you (accidentally) hit the ball by the naked wood - you probably should, otherwise you could play with half blade under rubber and half blade naked wood and try to use that to confuse the other player. In a regular situation you have small area of naked wood but you really cannot hit with them on purpose, that would be most likely same thing as hitting by the edge of the racket.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I wonder if you lose the point when you (accidentally) hit the ball by the naked wood - you probably should,......

In would love hear a comment ofrom Baal on this point . But in my case  (see pic_04) , the index finger covered almost all the available bare wood of the paddle . As a result , the ball always hit the index finger first !
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 10:07pm

I wonder if you lose the point when you (accidentally) hit the ball by the naked wood - you probably should, otherwise you could play with half blade under rubber and half blade naked wood and try to use that to confuse the other player. In a regular situation you have small area of naked wood but you really cannot hit with them on purpose, that would be most likely same thing as hitting by the edge of the racket.

The ball has to hit the rubber not the wood. Just like in the case of cpen players who only use one side with a bare blade. When they hit the bare wood they will be penalized a point.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

The ball has to hit the rubber not the wood. Just like in the case of cpen players who only use one side with a bare blade. When they hit the bare wood they will be penalized a point.

In the case of a penholder who uses a gap between the top of the handle and the start of the FH rubber, isn't it perfectly legal to hit the wood in the gap? Same goes for a RPB, if they take a swing with the RPB side that has a legal rubber with a gap and hit wood, this should be legal.

Isn't it perfectly legal to take a swing and the hit the handle or your hand below the wrist?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 11:06pm

As for naked wood on one side of penhold blade - yes, this case is specifically prohibited by the rules. But generally there is no rule about hitting (accidentally, I guess) naked wood - you can hit the ball with the edge, handle some such tiny area of naked wood between lower edge of rubber and handle etc. However there must be some understanding of what is "reasonable" approach in this case.

For instance, we all know that the rules and the guidelines for umpires demand there would be no more than 1-2 mm of naked wood on that part of blade's face border from around 7.30 through around 4.30 (wall clock settings).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 11:09pm

... otherwise you could play with half blade under rubber and half blade naked wood

Would such a paddle be illegal?

In a regular situation you have small area of naked wood but you really cannot hit with them on purpose, that would be most likely same thing as hitting by the edge of the racket.

Aren't edge-of-the-racket hits perfectly legal even if done on purpose?

The ball has to hit the rubber not the wood.

I thought it was legal to hit the ball with any part of the racket, including the edge and the handle.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2017 at 11:18pm
ITTF 2017 Handbook
2.4.4 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the
blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may
be left uncovered or covered with any material.

The rule doesn't say anything about any specific grip, just that it is legal to cut the rubber so your finger(s) nearest the handle rest on bare wood. In the case of a PH with gap, a person could have very large hands and have a large gap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic