Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gewo Hype KR 47.5 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Hype KR 47.5 Review
    Posted: 08/19/2017 at 10:34am

Rocket Table Tennis Review For Gewo Hype KR 47.5
Reviewed Exclusively For: Rocket Table Tennis @ 
rocket-tt.com

Date: 8/19/2017

Reviewer: yogi_bear
Reviewer Style Of Play:  Looper

In This Review
- Attached using VOC-free water-based glue (Revolution No. 3 )
- Tested with 40+mm Plastic Balls (Sanwei 3 Star ABS)
- Rubbers are stock with no boosting
- Blade used is Yinhe Pro 5W (5 ply all wood off) 

Product Specifications
Product Name: Gewo Hype KR 47.5
Color: Red
Thickness: 2.1mm 
Country Of Origin: Germany
Product Made In Year: 2017
Advertised Hardness: 47.5 degrees
Weight (g) (Uncut): 69 grams
Weight (g) (Cut to blade): 47-49 grams
Feel Of Topsheet Hardness During Play : Medium

Feel Of Sponge Hardness During Play: Medium Hard
Throw Angle Of Rubber (Low, Medium, High): Medium to High
Ball Grip Strength Of Rubber : High
Ball Slippage During Play : Seldom

Speed & Power Ratings
Catapult Power (Low, Normal, High) : High
Power From Far-Table Play (Low, Normal, High) : High
Speed On Flat Hitting (1-5) : 5
Looping (1-5) : 4
Overall Speed Rating During Play (1-5) : 5

Spin Ratings
Spin Sensitivity (Low, Normal, High) : Normal
Spin Generation On Serves (Low, Normal, High) : Above Average
Overall Spin Rating During Play (1-5) : 4

Control Ratings
Blocking (1-5): 4
Chopping(1-5) : 2
Serve Returns (1-5) : 4
Consistency (1-5) : 3
Overall Control Rating During Play (1-5) : 3

Reviewer Comments: 

The Gewo Hype KR 47.5 is the lastest Gewo rubber in the Hype series. I have previously tested the Hype 40 and Hype 50 version which are very good rubbers. I like the Hype 50 especially because it was very spinny but did not feel too fast. The Hype KR comes with a medium-hard sponge with a medium soft topsheet. The pores of the pinkish sponge seem bigger compared to the Hype 50 and 40 versions. I glued it on my Yinhe Pro W5 blade. Just for reference, the Yinhe Pro W5 has a similar construction with the Yasaka Extra Offensive. Basically they have the same speed but the W5 feels softer. Anyway, the Hype KR feels close to the Victas 01 and probably Rhyzm 48 at first when I was drilling forehand to forehand drives with it. The Hype KR is very bouncy and fast. It is very lively that I would put it in the level of Tibhar MX-P just for the speed. Strange that while I was drilling with it the throw was a bit high but when I was looping with it, it has a low to medium throw.

Here is the thing with the Hype KR, unlike with the other Hype rubbers, it is a specialized kind of rubber that needs a particular skill set. There are specific strokes and contact that it needs to bring out the best of the rubber. I usually brush a lot when I am top spinning the ball being a hurricane 3/globe 999 user myself. I can do this with euro rubbers especially the hard ones but I observed that the Hype KR seem to have a low throw and that low throw would sometimes make the ball hit the net. I had to adjust a little bit and was trying to see on what went wrong but then I realized maybe it was the way I contact the ball.At first, I was looping the ball with just brushing it very thinly and it was not really suited for that kind of stroke. I have no problems with the Hype 50 brushing the ball but with the Hype KR, it is not the case. However, I adjusted my stroke and I decided to compress the sponge more or hit through the sponge while also brushing the ball properly and that is where the Hype KR suddenly became awesome. It was very spinny provided that you hit through the ball and brush so I am assuming this would take some adjustments to master. A friend of mine was using the rubber and he too made some adjustment with it but the moment he hit through the sponge his loops were very spinny also and fast. I also noticed that the Hype KR is very good mi-distance when you are doing counter loops.

For other strokes, the Hype KR is above average when you are doing spinny serves and also spinny pushes. It is suited for stronger shots and not on delicate and spinny strokes like underspin pushes. It also blocks very well and smashes well.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2017 at 9:40am
Thank you for the Review Yogi! Smile
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2017 at 9:11am
I played against a guy using that rubber a few weeks ago. His forehand loops were extremely spinny. Most spin I've encountered in awhile.
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic