Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Any idea how much table tennis player earns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lokicha View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lokicha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any idea how much table tennis player earns?
    Posted: 08/22/2017 at 7:45am
i always wanted to be a pro table tennis player!
, but was not sure of the income...now i have to rethink again..

check it out to see how much a pro earns:
LINK DELETED BY MOD.  DON'T POST SIMPLY TO DIRECT TRAFFIC TO YOUR OWN WEBSITE!

comment if you admit it is too much or less for table tennis players..
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 8:07am
close to nothing
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 8:41am
Best way to reliably earn any money is coaching Juniors in Western countries. There is too much competition to get to one of the spots that'll make you a decent wedge from competing.

Here, several coaches get the equivalent of $30-35USD, no tax [all cash], coach 40-50 hours a week, i.e. $1200-1600USD a week. That's 60-80k USD a year.

Many of them aren't even exceptionally strong players / were not that strong. They simply have a lot of experience / knowledge about the game, and have built up a reputation and charge accordingly because the demand is there. 

Edited by Basquests - 08/22/2017 at 8:43am
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 10:53am
Do please tell us more about this job that pays 60-80K USD without paying taxes.  Sounds pretty sweet! Wink
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 11:01am
He is going it again... linking to another website to direct traffic.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
True Carbon FL
FH: Genius Max B
BH: Genius Max R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 11:25am
ban hammer comming...
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 11:39am
BAM!  Hammered in the name of my hero Kjell The Hammer Johansson (RIP).

One month since this is now a flagrant foul (he or it has been warned twice).  Actually the complete disregard of the warning in this way suggests we are dealing with a bot.

If so this bot-y-licious piece of code will have to infest other sites.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 1:17pm
Good luck making 80k$ as a coach of ping pong.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Many coaches at full-time centers in the U.S. make over $80,000/year coaching, including ones at my club. However, it involves long hours. Many coaches, especially Chinese ones, coach up to 50 hours/week, including several from my club. Even after the club gets its percentage, they are making about $40/hour, or $2000/week, or (at 50 weeks/year), $100,000/year. (At $40/hour, a coach needs to do 40 hours/week to get $80,000/year.) Add in group sessions, where many coaches make more per hour - I do - and yes, $80,000 is reasonable number for hard-working coaches. But it is physically and mentally demanding. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 4:32pm
I think I read an interview of Kreanga where he answered in third person when asked "a table tennis player with league play and endorsements can make up to 300K USD." That was maybe ten years ago.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 5:11pm
I've seen /hour rates at more than the 'standard' $40/hr, too.....up to $65/hr I've seen.

:)
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

I've seen /hour rates at more than the 'standard' $40/hr, too.....up to $65/hr I've seen.

:)

I pay $80/hr
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 5:51pm
"I pay $80/hr"

In my neck of the woods coaching fees ranges from $40 to $80 as well.
One is a former CNT player, her fee is $50.

FdT
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 6:06pm
It's not the cost per hour that is important, but the value received per hour that counts.  My $80 coach gives me lots of value for my money.  I've seen $20-$40 coaches who do more damage than good. 

Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

Do please tell us more about this job that pays 60-80K USD without paying taxes.  Sounds pretty sweet! Wink

Well, some other posters, esp Larry managed to fill you in.

Lots of these coaches are fully booked up, and yes, can charge even more from group sessions etc.

The 'not paying taxes' part is due to receiving payments in cash. If you don't report the income and don't claim the benefit, no-ones gonna be chasing you for the tax.

Not a bad gig if you can get it!

Edited by Basquests - 08/22/2017 at 7:16pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by lokicha lokicha wrote:

i always wanted to be a pro table tennis player!
, but was not sure of the income...now i have to rethink again..

Please take time and read this site throughout. You will get all the answers you asked for.

https://www.quora.com/What-can-a-world-class-table-tennis-player-earn-in-a-year

https://www.quora.com/How-are-table-tennis-players-paid-and-who-pays-them

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-train-alone-at-home-to-become-a-pro-table-tennis-player-I-am-15-is-it-too-late

Edited by igorponger - 08/22/2017 at 7:56pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 9:56am
"It's not the cost per hour that is important, but the value received per hour that counts.  My $80 coach gives me lots of value for my money.  I've seen $20-$40 coaches who do more damage than good."

But it is what we are talking about. Introducing a red herring such as " My $80 coach gives me lots of value for my money." is besides the point. The original questions was "How much does a TT player earn". Not " Can I get $80 worth of value from a coach". If you are paying 80 an hour yes of course we all hope you are getting your moneys worth. No one is saying you're not. I do think supply/demand will determine the price for coaching lessons, or at least it will be the  biggest factor. Also, I would think a former CNT player might have something to teach to non pro's like me. Just a hunch.

FdT
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 10:05am
I would say that this conversation has highlighted the problem of professional table tennis in the USA rather nicely. Table Tennis PLAYERS don't make enough to eat on. Table Tennis COACHES can make a decent living. So if you give up playing to coach, feed multiball and become a practice partner you will be OK.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 10:25am
"I would say that this conversation has highlighted the problem of professional table tennis in the USA rather nicely. Table Tennis PLAYERS don't make enough to eat on. Table Tennis COACHES can make a decent living. So if you give up playing to coach, feed multiball and become a practice partner you will be OK."

Since I don't live in places like Germany or elsewhere, I don't know if there is such a thing as a Professional Table Tennis Player outside of China, perhaps there's a couple of other countries where you can, but I must confess my ignorance on that. It also depends on how you are defining "Professional". Here in Canada theres Hockey, Baseball, Basketball and a few other sports were you can become a "Professional" player. It is not easy.

But regarding table tennis, I thought it was common knowledge that in the West,  in order to make money you had to simply win tournaments to get paid, and then after you hit 35+ inevitably you would become a coach. Others resort to gambling. Anyway, that was my impression.

FdT

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic