Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Advice on 40+ ball...Equipment or technique?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stapsy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on 40+ ball...Equipment or technique?
    Posted: 08/22/2017 at 10:09pm
After a couple of years away from the game, I recently started playing again.  I played with the old 40mm ball for a few months and felt very comfortable picking up my technique where I left off.  Upon changing to the 40+ ball last week nothing seems to work.  My timing feels off and the ball doesn't dive back to the table the same way on a topspin drive.  Everything I hit seems to go long. I am wondering if I need to move to slower blade or rubbers in order to work on my technique again with the 40+ ball?

Right now I am using a Butterfly M. Maze Off with T05 FH and Omega IV Pro BH.  I could always improve on my technique, but it is frustrating when I can switch to the old balls and immediately start landing my strokes on the table.  I like being able to swing hard and generate my own power.  I thought a 5ply all-wood blade like a Stiga OC or a Nittaku Acoustic might help me adjust my game and learn to generate spin with the new balls.  Maybe even dropping down to a thinner 2.0mm rubber?

I appreciate any advice from those of you who may have gone through similar experiences...or just tell me I am crazy
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Stapsy Stapsy wrote:

After a couple of years away from the game, I recently started playing again.  I played with the old 40mm ball for a few months and felt very comfortable picking up my technique where I left off.  Upon changing to the 40+ ball last week nothing seems to work.  My timing feels off and the ball doesn't dive back to the table the same way on a topspin drive.  Everything I hit seems to go long. I am wondering if I need to move to slower blade or rubbers in order to work on my technique again with the 40+ ball?

Right now I am using a Butterfly M. Maze Off with T05 FH and Omega IV Pro BH.  I could always improve on my technique, but it is frustrating when I can switch to the old balls and immediately start landing my strokes on the table.  I like being able to swing hard and generate my own power.  I thought a 5ply all-wood blade like a Stiga OC or a Nittaku Acoustic might help me adjust my game and learn to generate spin with the new balls.  Maybe even dropping down to a thinner 2.0mm rubber?

I appreciate any advice from those of you who may have gone through similar experiences...or just tell me I am crazy

It could be you're just crazy, but here's another thought.

Anytime you lay off a sport for a few years, timing seems to be off when you take it back up again.  Adding to that problem is the slightly different bounce you get from the plastic ball which changes the timing from what you were used to, to a little different timing for the new ball.  A week or so with the new ball and I think you'll find you've adjusted to the new ball.  If you need to justify to a spouse your desire for new equipment, blame it on the new ball. 

Talk to some EJ's, they can give you a long list of reasons to change equipment that will last you a a lifetime. 
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2017 at 10:43pm
Which plastic ball are you currently using that gives you so much trouble? Some of the earlier versions with seam were just awful in my opinion. If you grabbed some 1* cheapo plastic ball, all bets are off as to whether they are even playable. 

Any 3* XSF, Nittaku Premium, latest D40+ from DHS are quite good (although probably still less spinny than celluloid ones). It does sound like you are getting less spin now, but how much you were able to generate before that? How would you describe your playing level?
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 3:26am
It takes time, more so if you switch between different type of ball regularly. I do prefer some of the newer rubbers with plastic balls myself, but that's more of a contact feel thing than anything else. Changing equipment probably won't help with timing issues, and the reduction in spin is just unavoidable.

Give yourself a month or two.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 8:25am
We all went through it.  All you need to do is play with it more.  It took me a couple of months to get really comfortable again. 

Your blade and rubber are fine for the new balls.  (Some people probably needed to switch to somewhat faster stuff, but you are already using equipment that should work well with these balls).

I do recommend, though, using either a seamless ball like Xu Shao Fa, or if you use balls with seams, then use Nittaku Premium Japan 40+ balls (not the ones made in China), or one of the new DHS D40+ balls (have Ding Ning's picture on the box, not Ma Long).  You will enjoy playing more.  In this new era, the brand of ball you use matters a lot more than it used to (more variability).

Some of the 40+ balls are horrible and no matter what you do you can never feel comfortable.  They have weird bounces and are not round.  They are also fragile and expensive.  Those are balls made of cellulose acetate, in China, and they have a seam.  They are sold under a host of brand names. 
Stapsy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 8:56am
I don't have an official ranking or anything, but I would say I am an intermediate level player. I am comfortable with most strokes and don't have a problem being competitive in games.

I don't believe in changing equipment just for the sake of it. On the other hand, I know that equipment can make a difference. My goal is only to put myself in a position to improve and have fun by using appropriate equipment. I was quite content with my setup for the older ball, but wasn't getting the same feeling after switching to the new ball. I didn't have as much of a problem adjusting on the backhand, but the forehand seems too fast for the amount of spin I was able to put on the ball. I believe the balls are the newest DHS ones (strange that the ball makes a difference).

I don't play as much as I used to, once or twice a week at most. If taking a step back in equipmemt would help then I am open to it. I dislike feeling tentative with my shots, although I suppose that is to be expected when making changes. It sounds to me like you were all able to adjust over time. Were you making conscious changes to your game, or just figuring it out through experience?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 10:07am
Just figuring it out.  Getting used to the new timing and trajectory and feel.  At this point I pretty much like it better, but I hated it at first.

You don't need to take a step back in equipment.  That will just delay things.  All you need to do is play.  Your brain will adjust.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 1:54pm

After a couple of years away from the game, I recently started playing again.  I played with the old 40mm ball for a few months and felt very comfortable picking up my technique where I left off.  Upon changing to the 40+ ball last week nothing seems to work.  My timing feels off and the ball doesn't dive back to the table the same way on a topspin drive.  Everything I hit seems to go long. I am wondering if I need to move to slower blade or rubbers in order to work on my technique again with the 40+ ball? Maybe even dropping down to a thinner 2.0mm rubber?

EAGLE 61SECONDS

Sure, you need a very special playing stuff to keep up a decent control with the new plastic balls.   You much adviced to try this novelty rubber, much similar to the Jap energy sponge.

Be sure to get a sheet of 40* hardness,   2,0mm sponge thick -- this is the best suited for plastic balls.

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/61second-eagle.html?isAffiliate=y&initiative_id=SB_20170823093618&site=glo&g=n&SearchText=61second+eagle&needQuery=n

Good luck.

Edited by igorponger - 08/23/2017 at 2:00pm
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 2:24pm
If I were you, I wouldn't pick up ping pong again. However, if you want to start playing again, it would be better to do it when they will've increased the net height in a few years from now.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

If I were you, I wouldn't pick up ping pong again. However, if you want to start playing again, it would be better to do it when they will've increased the net height in a few years from now.

If you feel that way you might want to take your own advice since trolling has sadly become most of what you contribute here.

Seriously. Stop it.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2017 at 7:17pm
The World's Cheapest Marketplace to get table tennis balls from
NOTE:   all the balls are those of superior quality.

-- D40+ ***   ( ABS plastic material) = 0, 31$ per one
-- 40***        (hand selection, celluloid material) = 0, 78$ per one

https://world.taobao.com/item/41807525213.htm?fromSite=main&spm=2014.21361915.0.0

Of course, you can make even better bargain if purchasing the balls from manufacturer's warehouse directly.

HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2017 at 9:41pm
Didn't read the intro post but the answer is ALWAYS equipment no matter which forum you visit so yeah.
Stapsy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2017 at 7:34pm
Thanks to everyone for the help. I played a bit more today and started to feel more comfortable with the new ball. I think realizing that the ball is a little different helped me to make adjustments in my strokes. For the record, the ball I was using was actually the double happiness v40+. I may replace my rubber because they are a couple years old, but I feel more confident knowing that it will just take some time to get used to a new style of play.

Edited by Stapsy - 08/26/2017 at 7:47pm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

If you feel that way you might want to take your own advice since trolling has sadly become most of what you contribute here.

Seriously. Stop it.

Nicely put Baal Thumbs Up
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2017 at 11:05pm

Thanks to everyone for the help. I played a bit more today and started to feel more comfortable with the new ball. I think realizing that the ball is a little different helped me to make adjustments in my strokes. For the record, the ball I was using was actually the double happiness v40+. I may replace my rubber because they are a couple years old, but I feel more confident knowing that it will just take some time to get used to a new style of play.

V40 is a decent ball. Like anything else, just getting accustomed to it is a big part of it. I would recommend no equipment change until you have played with 40+ balls for at least a month. Then if you still feel the need it makes more sense and you will have a better idea what you need.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 12:20am

My experience, using DHS D40+, 4H no problems just playing time, BH which is very strong required an adjustment period, maybe an adjustment to technique, no equipment changes needed.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 12:46pm
If you bought XuXaofa plastic balls, put them immediately in the garbage where they belong.

If you're using Nittaku Premium 40+, those perform as close to the celluloid ball as you will find.
DHS 40+ balls are pretty good.

The new plastic balls require a slightly grippier surface to compensate for the characteristics of the new ball. 

Most of the new plastic balls bounce and spin differently from one another. Dare I suggest if you're NOT playing tournaments, then go ahead and play with celluloid balls if you have them available?. I guess they will eventually stop making them so my suggestion THEN will be to get some Nittaku 40+. Like I said, they perform the closest to the celluloid ones.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 08/27/2017 at 12:47pm
Stapsy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 5:34pm
No tournaments for me, but I am planning on joining a club again so I want to get used to the new balls.

I am finding that my drives don't have the same amount of spin with the new balls, so I have to make more of an upward motion on balls that I would preciously attack with a forward motion. I also noticed that the new balls I am using have more of a matte/rough texture that slowly becomes more smooth as you use them. I suppose that could have an impact as well. I will definitely try some other balls to see how they play.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 6:12pm
My advice is don't try to change your stroke to get more spin, especially a more upward motion.  It will make your shots anemic and people will just hit right through it.  Continue to concentrate on forward motion.  The combination of speed and spin is what gives an offensive shot penetration, and that is still true with these new 40+ balls, even if the effect and maybe total amount of the spin on the ball is a little different than what you are were used to.  This is a feature of all of the 40+ balls and a lot of people complain about it, but that is our new reality.  People who relied on a lot of spin without accompanying power struggle with these things.  You can go ahead and try a bunch of different 40+ balls, but the ones you have are pretty similar to what will be the dominant type of ball moving forward. 

Just play with them and take your time getting used to them.  You will also have to rediscover your footwork and technique in general after a couple of years off.  Timing, balance, all that stuff.  
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 6:17pm
One other thing, all of the plastic balls except the Butterfly G40+ have a different texture from celluloid.  It has an effect on how they play for sure.  The Butterfly G40+ is a completely different kind of plastic ball, very smooth on the outside, and a ridiculous sound.  I think most people would agree that they have not been a success.  (On the topic of balls, you will never find 100% agreement).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 7:29pm
The one thing I will say about the new plastic balls is that as a general rule, try to take the ball earlier and stay lower.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2017 at 11:47pm
Yes. For sure. More important than with celluloid
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2017 at 8:49am
I was thinking the double fish V40+ were much more tinky and a bit like the first 40+ balls that came out but the D40+ was not as white and felt like it was played in and smoother texture

so try different balls then just play, most of the time ill use 40 or 40+ of any star value, boiled in the jug, orange or blue and then use 40+ for interclub or competition
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic