Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Violin on a budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violin on a budget
    Posted: 09/05/2017 at 7:35pm
I'm planning to build an inexpensive blade with used rubbers and would appreciate suggestions for a blade that has similar playing characteristics to a Violin but costs less than, say, $35.

In short, the blade should be a 5-ply all wood blade, ST grip, centre-balanced, ALL+/OFF- speed, flexible (about 5.5mm thick), with a medium/hard feeling (no limba).
Balance of the blade is important: it should not be head-heavy.
Thanks.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 12:59am
Interesting puzzle!

AFAIK Yinhe Earth E-4 is a violin clone.  Some land on aliexpress around $45.  

Other 5 ply blades blades with flex and hard outer plies that come to mind would be Yinhe E-1 (closer to 20$ on aliexpress).  For a little more, Xiom Fuga and Xiom Diva.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 3:57am
Thanks.
I was aware of the E-4, this is why I set the budget to $35 to exclude it... Joking aside, afaik is not available in ST, unfortunately. And I suppose neither is E-1.

I have no experience with Fuga and Diva, but I played with Jazz a few years ago. Jazz is stiffer, bouncier and faster than Violin. Will have to look the other two up.

Other suggestions, even from lesser known brands, are appreciated.
Join the Nexy Clan!
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 10:05am
IMHO haven't found any violin clone that plays the same as the original. It's the best feeling never ever tried on a blade, but nowadays it's kinda outdated if you play all-out offensive game with this slower ball. You need a lot of raw power and strength to surpass your opponent defense and youre restricted to play just close to the table.

However there are a few that could match Acoustic quite well.

MaybePG3 could satisfy you, but it's not the same at all.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 10:24am
Yup the one and only e-4
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 11:53am
TSP Euro Feeling OFF-, 5-ply blade, ash outer ply.

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

1. IMHO haven't found any violin clone that plays the same as the original. It's the best feeling never ever tried on a blade, but nowadays it's kinda outdated if you play all-out offensive game with this slower ball. You need a lot of raw power and strength to surpass your opponent defense and youre restricted to play just close to the table.
2. However there are a few that could match Acoustic quite well.
3. MaybePG3 could satisfy you, but it's not the same at all.

1. I know and wonder why Nittaku has not released a Violin Carbon yet, as they did with Acoustic. Speaking about a Violin substitute for the new ball, ITC XF has a somewhat similar feeling, though being a composite blade, but it's too head-heavy for my taste.
2. I tried and didn't like the feeling of Acoustic.
3. What do you mean? If the construction is different, that's unimportant, as long as the overall feeling is somewhat comparable.

Update: "I know and wonder why..." in point 1 above should read "I know [it is kinda outdated] and wonder why..."

Edited by arg0 - 09/09/2017 at 3:52pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Yup the one and only e-4

Is it really similar to Violin? It's from the early generations of Yinhe blades, so I always assumed that it would be very stiff because of the glueing.
Would be happy th know if this is not the case, though FL only handle is still a showstopper for me.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

TSP Euro Feeling OFF-, 5-ply blade, ash outer ply.

Interesting blade, thanks. I'll search the forum for reviews.
Join the Nexy Clan!
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 7:48pm
Hmm, this might be interesting: https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=adidas-avenger-5
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Yup the one and only e-4

Is it really similar to Violin? It's from the early generations of Yinhe blades, so I always assumed that it would be very stiff because of the glueing.
Would be happy th know if this is not the case, though FL only handle is still a showstopper for me.

it is not too stiff but it has some flex when loopping. the speed is very good and most of all the feel is awesome. i used to own one before. this is the closest to a violin.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2017 at 12:56am
Yes, I agree tp yogi_bear. I also don`t know any blade which is closer to Violin.
E-4 is nor far away to Violin, although I clearly prefer the original, 
but for this price (< 50 USD) you can`t get a better Violin-clone.

Unfortunately it is only available with FL handle - a No Go for some ST lovers.

Edited by Magic_M - 09/07/2017 at 12:56am
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2017 at 7:40pm
Get a used vio!in blade. Save it money. It is cheaper than buying cloned in search of the magic one.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 5:05am
Not looking for a Violin clone for my main setup: I already have 3 Violins and will stick with them. I need an affordable setup that I can hand out to kids, throw in a suitcase, forget in a basement, etc. Even E-4 is over my planned budget for this.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Unfortunately it is only available with FL handle - a No Go for some ST lovers.

I suppose I could change the handle, but that would be too much work. I suppose I could live with FL for the intended purpose.

Let's move to the next level: any blade for under $25 that comes at least close to Violin?
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 5:49am
Would any Neottec blade fit?
Join the Nexy Clan!
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 6:32am

Not looking for a Violin clone for my main setup: I already have 3 Violins and will stick with them. I need an affordable setup that I can hand out to kids, throw in a suitcase, forget in a basement, etc. Even E-4 is over my planned budget for this.

Yep. I understand you. This E-4 is rather expensive for an Yinhe just wood blade. I thought eventually to buy it, but without trying and for this money I don't think so.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 7:35am
Maybe a handmade blade would be enough for your purpose.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 9:53am

What about Yinhe Earth e-1? 20ish on aliexpress. Flexible, but with Koto outer. Koto isn't as hard as ash, but it's still on the hard end of TT the blade woods spectrum - and considerably harder than limba.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

What about Yinhe Earth e-1? 20ish on aliexpress. Flexible, but with Koto outer. Koto isn't as hard as ash, but it's still on the hard end of TT the blade woods spectrum - and considerably harder than limba.

Could fit. Moreover there is a German reseller that has the ST version. At a higher price, though. Will see if I can find it with ST handle on Aliexpress.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 4:47am
Do you mean galaxysport.de? E4 is 94€.

Edited by Kolev - 09/09/2017 at 4:57am
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 6:18am
When I first started playing with a Violin, my first impression was this plays similar to a butterfly Grubba All+. (Yes I keep notes after each session when trying new equipment) Actually the Violin is a bit more tame than the Grubba with the same Tenergy rubbers. The Grubba is in the $50 range iirc and gets a little closer to the amount you're looking for. Good luck in your journey.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Do you mean galaxysport.de? E4 is 94€.

Yes, and their price for E-4 is crazy and they also have it only in FL. I meant that they sell E-1 with ST grip, but that's also overpriced. I'll look for ST on Aliexpress or buy FL.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

When I first started playing with a Violin, my first impression was this plays similar to a butterfly Grubba All+. (Yes I keep notes after each session when trying new equipment) Actually the Violin is a bit more tame than the Grubba with the same Tenergy rubbers. The Grubba is in the $50 range iirc and gets a little closer to the amount you're looking for. Good luck in your journey.

Apparently, there are two Grubba All+ blades, which one do you mean?
http://shop.butterflyonline.com/andrzej-grubba-blade
http://shop.butterflyonline.com/andrzej-grubba
Thanks
Join the Nexy Clan!
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 10:28am
Sanwei pro v5 is suppose to be similar just a little faster

Edited by jpenmaster - 09/09/2017 at 10:29am
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 6:19pm

Thanks

Hmmm. The second link is with the model I see a lot around here Superb blade. Does it all
The first link must be a new model. I see it for a first time

Edited by Kolev - 09/09/2017 at 10:24pm
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Thanks

Hmmm. The second link is with the I see a lot around here Superb blade. Does it all
The first link must be a new model. I see it for a first time

The first link is the newly cosmetically redesigned model. I have the one in the second link.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2017 at 3:10am
I see. Actually, I also once made a blade for a friend with the one in the second link. But I never played with it.
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic