FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

I'm a Fangeezer of Modern Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm a Fangeezer of Modern Table Tennis
    Posted: 09/09/2017 at 7:30am
I am really a fangeezer of modern table tennis, the acoustic version that is.  I admire MYTT's own Jay Turberville's two-winged butt to the breeze attacking game, coupled with a quite respectable fallback defense.  I'm also a fan of once in a great while MYTT contributor Scott Gordon's all-round Reisman mentored style, with an especially elegant and effective backhand drive.

I very much like the all-round style centered on two-winged attack of the hardbat champion of France, Jean-Paul Carquin.  I like all the English HEATT guys and the idea of their Fair Play hard rubber.  The Dutch dudes who play full-time hardbat at the Hilversum tournament aren't too shabby either.

And let us not forget Australia's pride and MYTT contributor and former moderator of the about.com table tennis forum and creator of the Sports Interrogation animated sendup Greg Letts (DTopSpirit), a recent convert to full time hardbat.

Anyone who says I don't like modern table tennis played roots version ought to be made to write "Turberville" on a blackboard 500 times.

So there.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/09/2017 at 8:02am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Tt Gold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 12:56pm
Dude you're getting really annoying. Stop making unnecessary bs threads.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 1:16pm
I'm lost
Zhang Jike ALC ST
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Dude you're getting really annoying. Stop making unnecessary bs threads.

Dude:

Hard rubber table tennis happens to be part of modern table tennis, and in my post I mentioned three members of this forum who happen to play it well against opponents using all kinds of rubbers.

In case you are not aware, hard rubbers, that is, short pimpled rubbers without sponge, have been used since the establishment by Ivor Montagu of the International Table Tennis Federation in 1926 and are presently on the ITTF LARC list.

If you consider this thread to be an unnecessary bs thread, I suggest you fill out a ts card in triplicate, sending one copy to your national association, one copy to the International Table Tennis Federation, and one copy to the MYTT forum stating your sincere concern that a member of that forum has started a thread and posted a post praising the playing style with a hard rubber table tennis racket of three of its members.  Let me know how this turns out.

Sincerely yours,

Berndt Mann (a 75 year old geezer who just happens to appreciate modern table tennis played with a hardbat by MYTT members, and others of course.)

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2017 at 5:40am
C'mon, Berndt.  You can do better than this.  This thread is disingenuous at best, deliberate trolling at worst.  Following on from Ba'als comments on the previous thread, you want to promote yourself as a fan of modern table tennis?  And then fill this up with "Hard rubber table tennis happens to be part of modern table tennis"?  Get serious, Berndt.

You know I share with you questions and concerns about cheating in our sport, but you fail to make any distinction between the modern game and cheating.  Using inverted rubber and playing an offensive game is not cheating.  Conflating the use of boosters with the ability of players to produce backhand flicks is both unfair and deceitful.  For a start, the backhand flick is the one shot I can play and I have never ever boosted.  Suggesting that everything you see in modern table tennis is the result of cheating is grossly disrespectful.

You and I have been members of this forum for quite some time now.  Everyone who follows the conversations here with even the faintest interest knows how you feel about the modern game.  You have nothing to gain by continuing to bang on about the good old days and about the ruination of the game we love and play.  Just ... give it a rest.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2017 at 5:35pm
Well said.
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2017 at 10:45pm
I'm okay with Berndt bringing up hardbat now and then.  I don't view it any different than the EJ's going on and on about the best rubber for this or that.  Although I don't have a big interest in either topic, I read them now and then thinking I may learn something new. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic