Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - which one is more effect the game Blade or Rubber?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

which one is more effect the game Blade or Rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2023 at 9:41am
Interest older thread that popped up. 

The only thing I would add is that while blade and rubber can have bigger effects a player may win more matches with something lower speed, spin, etc. What matters (if you are playing to win matches) is the proper balance of speed/spin vs control. I know it is too obvious to say, but I think sometimes we miss the obvious. 
Sponsored Links

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2023 at 9:10am
blade: 40%
rubber: 60%
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2023 at 1:40pm
Rewind a decade plus and with the smaller, rounder and more spinny celluloid ball; I believe that the blade choice was more important than rubber selection.

At that time, I would argue that most manufacturers OFF, OFF+ and OFF++ blades on the market were unsuitable for the majority of players (meaning, that they would have better consistency and better match performance with ALL-/ALL/ALL+/OFF- blades).

However, with the bigger ABS plastic balls, and less spin, less roundness, I believe that rubber choice is more important today.

Why?

Because blades that were formerly too fast for the majority of players to handle in serve receive, in short game and in rallying (due in no small part to the greater spin and spin variation of celluloid balls) are now much more viable in both recreational, match, league and tournament play. With the ABS balls, I would argue that even players coming from the basement could use OFF- blades with a suitable rubber.

Huge advancements have been made in rubber formulation, combining things that were previously unheard of, or difficult to achieve without some time and effort during the celluloid ball era... (Rich DeWitt, and your "dead rubbers", I am looking at you :D)  

Specifically, rubbers have been made that have superior short games, while retaining top end speed, and are formulated to produce "enough" spin with the ABS balls to achieve topspin placements and during a rally. 

When you look at the control and forgiveness of modern rubbers, it is remarkable. 

And in retrospect, as much as I despised the transition away from the celluloid balls (that I spent 20 years playing with), I can say that I am truly satisfied with today's game and the outcome of the development of modern balls. The game, from rec league to pro, supports more play styles, more nuance, and more creativity. The backhand is no longer in the shadow of the forehand, and gameplay is much more interesting to watch. 

One caveat though:
It would be great if some philanthropist of the sport bought up all of the New Old Stock of rubbers like Mark V and earlier ESN generations that simply don't have a topsheet that is capable of spinning or handling the ABS ball properly. 

It is an incredible disservice to recreational players and to people returning to the game to still have ratings, reviews and referrals by veterans that are based on performance with the celluloid ball. 

TL;DR
Both veterans of the sport who spent 20-30 years with Mark V / Sriver with the Celluloid ball and newer players alike are better served by modern rubbers like Evolution series.

TL;DR
ABS balls make classic and early rubbers play like Yasaka DANG!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
peopl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peopl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2023 at 2:53pm
Which leg has more effect on running, left one or right one?

Same with blade and rubbers. Definitely, both should suit your style of play, and probably the level of skills. That's where the fun comes from, too, from having a tool that is useful for what you like to do.

In my case I play with a slow, rather stiff but soft all-wood blade, and the rubbers are not bouncy, rather fast and quite grippy. That serves me well for a varied, spin-based play close to the table.

Edited by peopl - 03/22/2023 at 2:56pm
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2023 at 8:43pm
Rubber, Significantly. I would rather play with a blade from a £5 premade with mid teir rubbers such as Rhyzen ZGR or Rakza Z than a W968 national with BTY pan asia. I could use a 5ply bad quality blade and good rubbers to perform 80-90% the same in leagues but using non grippy slow rubbers that will fall to 50-70%
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2023 at 10:14am
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Rubber, Significantly. I would rather play with a blade from a £5 premade with mid teir rubbers such as Rhyzen ZGR or Rakza Z than a W968 national with BTY pan asia. I could use a 5ply bad quality blade and good rubbers to perform 80-90% the same in leagues but using non grippy slow rubbers that will fall to 50-70%

Mid tier rubbers???
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2023 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Samsonov used the same blade for more than decade and played with diffrent rubbers.
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2023 at 2:46pm
If you disagree try playing the game with your normal rubbers and any blade you can get 1ply, defensive, hard as anything It will be ok.

Now take your blade and put on anti, long pips, hurricane 3 hard and t05

You'll probably find that you can play your own game and style more with the same rubbers and all manner of blades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic