Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gambler FLC = ZLC ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Rich L Rich L wrote:

Got my Fire Dragon Touch yesterday at 83g promised by Zeropong customer service, and shaved the head sized down and ended up with an 80g blade.  One thing I noticed is that the Zeropong oval is narrower in the lower half than my Xiom blades because I used a previously mounted sheet of rubber and had to trim a crescent from each side.  I fit the blade with Baracuda and Rasanter R42, both 2.0, and found it to be reasonably fast.  My goal was to go from an off to off+ blade with slower rubber to an off to off- blade with more aggressive rubbers to see if it resulted in greater dwell time and as a result, more spin.  I only played a short time with it, so the jury's still out, but it's got possibilities, although it's going to take a stroke adjustment.

Rich, what tools do you use for shaving off some small portion of a blade?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 12:51am
I used 100 grit and 220 grit sandpaper and a sanding block, also a flat file to clean up the sides.  See my reply on this question on page 2 of this thread. 

I was also fortunate to come upon an opportunity on Paddle Palace where they were closing out Xiom Hyabusa Z+'s at $88.95, and they were all lighter than 81 grams.  I grabbed one at 78g, as it is close in performance to the Hyabusa Zxi, my favorite all time blade, and the weight savings allowed me to try Rasanter R47 as a BH alternative to Adidas P7 without exceeding my customary build weight of 165 grams.  I'm very happy I found the Z+!!!  There haven't been any ZXi's available for some time.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
FH: Xiom Omega IV Elite
BH: Xiom Omega VI Europe
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 1:12am

There haven't been any ZXi's available for some time.

The whole Hyabusa series has been discontinued. A real shame I think, they were nice blades.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

There haven't been any ZXi's available for some time.

The whole Hyabusa series has been discontinued. A real shame I think, they were nice blades.

Very much a shame. Although I first ridiculed the appearance, I settled on the Hayabusa Zi as my blade of choice. My third one arrived in the mail today.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 5:33am
Yes, a real shame about the Hyabusa series.  My Zxi has the most amazing tactile feedback of any blade I've ever tried.  I was fortunate to get one at 81g, and it was tough to find them that light.  I was hopeful the Vega Tour would be the same animal, but it wasn't.  Then I started watching the new Feel series with great anticipation, but at least on the initial release, the blade weights on the ZX2 and ZX3 were around 87-88g, too heavy for me.

Xiom Haybusa Zxi
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2017 at 12:23pm

I used 100 grit and 220 grit sandpaper and a sanding block, also a flat file to clean up the sides.  See my reply on this question on page 2 of this thread. 

I was also fortunate to come upon an opportunity on Paddle Palace where they were closing out Xiom Hyabusa Z+'s at $88.95, and they were all lighter than 81 grams.  I grabbed one at 78g, as it is close in performance to the Hyabusa Zxi, my favorite all time blade, and the weight savings allowed me to try Rasanter R47 as a BH alternative to Adidas P7 without exceeding my customary build weight of 165 grams.  I'm very happy I found the Z+!!!  There haven't been any ZXi's available for some time.

I am surprised that you mention Rasanter R47/42 as relatively fast rubbers - two weeks ago I was given an almost pristine R47 and it is quite slow. Very good spin, nice control but heavy and slow.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2017 at 2:49pm
There is no company that discontinues blades faster than Xiom.  If you find one you like you better stock up.
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I am surprised that you mention Rasanter R47/42 as relatively fast rubbers - two weeks ago I was given an almost pristine R47 and it is quite slow. Very good spin, nice control but heavy and slow.

R47 is certainly faster than P7.  Then again, it all depends on what blade you're putting it on.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
looper1984 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looper1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 12:37pm
I currently use the Fire Hinoki blade. Great feel and speed on the table and at mid distance with little to no vibration. It has both speed and control. I've read the specs on Butterfly Garaydia and this blade has a very similar construction. It's got the two thick cypress outer plys which give it a nice bounce with medium feel. I'm sure short pip attack players would like this blade as well. I'm a two wing looper and really like the balance you get from cypress and carbon layers. I have the control to loop slow with spin and power to loop kill.

We have a few other guys in the club that use it and love it. One guy is a Seemiller player with OX long pips(2050) and the other is two wing looper with smooth both sides. 

Fire Hinoki Burst/Zero 
sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 7:40pm
I really like the Fire Dragon Touch. Really good looping blade for the price.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 9:04am
What about the handles? Kind of thin?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 9:18am
Blade is just right for me, but I have small hands. I have the straight blade and it is almost the same width and shape as the straight yinhe LQ-1 you sell. The LQ-1 is slightly longer.
sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 10:39pm
Yes, the handle little thin compare to my Butterfly Zhang Jike alc but after I wrapped the handle it become very comfortable
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 10:42pm
The straight is better than the flared
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 2:27pm

R47 is certainly faster than P7.  Then again, it all depends on what blade you're putting it on.

It always depends on the blade, of course - but not when you are using the same blade to compare two different rubbers. R47 was to me noticeably slower - on the same blade - than Rasant Grip, than T-80FX, Tibhar Aurus or KTL Red Diamond Mechanical / Black Power Mechanical. More than that - I got the same info from two other people who played with it before me.

Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 2:44pm

It always depends on the blade, of course - but not when you are using the same blade to compare two different rubbers. R47 was to me noticeably slower - on the same blade - than Rasant Grip, than T-80FX, Tibhar Aurus or KTL Red Diamond Mechanical / Black Power Mechanical. More than that - I got the same info from two other people who played with it before me.
I think you misunderstood me.  I have been using P7 on my Zxi.  I Put R47 on a Z+.  At no time did I try them both on one blade. It would've made my Zxi heavier than I wanted.  My motive in trying R47 on the Z+ was to try to replicate the performance of the P7 on my BH of my Zxi.  In my opinion, the R47 didn't act the same.  The ball felt very direct off the rubber, where with the P7, I felt the more dwell time, more of an absorption of the ball followed by a release.  It is evident that I need to look for a different rubber, perhaps something a bit softer than 47 degree sponge, although P7 was supposed to be 47.  Victas 402 Limber and Evolution FX-S are considerations.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
PipBull View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipBull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 10:31am
I agree with looper1984. I'm currently using the Fire Dragon FLC blade , the specs are equal to the Butterfly Garaydia. I'm a Seemiller grip player and love the at the table touch /control this blade gives . Blocking hard ,slow and spiny loops are so easy with this blade. At the table the Fire Dragon FLC allows you to play aggressive loops or slower spiny sloops with ease and control even off the table power /control is great. I stopped playing for about 3 years and just started playing again with this blade and I've been taking matches off of 2100 level players. Great blade paired with long pips.

Edited by PipBull - 11/23/2017 at 11:17am
Fire Dragon Hinoki FLC
FH:Gambler Burst
BH:Gambler Long pips
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic