Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

An arm brace you can make yourself !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An arm brace you can make yourself !
    Posted: 09/17/2017 at 3:42pm

As I  have mentioned in a previous thread (See: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80221&PN=2#995461), I tend to flip the paddle up  when hitting the ball.  I received numerous tips and  advices to correct this unfortunate technical flaw .  In face of  having no coach around  and unavailable commercial  technical apparatus, the generous feedbacks from members of this forum inspired me come up with a device to keep the paddle angle constant during the forehand stroke . Here is my design of an arm brace device  .

Basically , it is a very  simple apparatus which consists of 2 pieces of flatbars strapped to the arm by velcro strip ties and elastic flat band  ( see Pic_ 01 ) . All the essential components  to construct the arm brace are listed in Pic_02  .

Pic_03   & Pic_04  show  its frontview and backview  .

Pic_05 provides a close-up of the joint linking 2 pieces of flat bars  of the device .

Pic_06  to Pic_12  illustrate how  the device is strapped  to the arm for a practice session .  Keep in mind  that the arm brace can be locked or unlocked at the joint by using the wing nut .

An important element in the design is the set of  velcro trip  ties which are not readily available in the  market at the required lengths . Pic_13  to Pic _18  show the procedure  to make your own velcro ties .

The great thing is it cost me less than 20. $ US  !  If you use wood, it might cost you much less than this ( i.e. around 10 bucks US or less  LOLLOL )

A short video clip demonstating the arm brace in action can be viewed here:

(Acknowledgement: 

Several members deserve my deepest  gratitude for  their generous tips,  expert advices and kindness which motivate me to come up with the design and bring to life this arm brace . Thanks :   Baal, qpskfec,  Fulanodetal , man_iii ,  henningf , BRS )

Pic_01

Pic_02

Pic_03:   Front view

Pic_04 : Back view

Pic_05: Close-up of the joint

Pic_06

Pic_07

Pic_08

Pic_09

Pic_11

Pic_12

Pic_13

Pic_14

Pic_15

Pic_16 (Using electrical tape to cover the sticky side of the loop velcro )

Pic_17 : ( Press the sticky side of the 2" long hook velcro onto the last 2 " end of the non-stick side of the  loop velcro )

Pic_18

Edited by mike1250 - 09/17/2017 at 11:33pm
Sponsored Links

mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 3:17pm

I just made anothe arm brace similar to the previous one but use wood rather than steel flat bar . It is much lighter and wearing it felt more comfortable   .

Note that there are slots along the edge of the wood bars to keep the velcro strip ties in place .

The complete assemblage

Front view

Back view

Edited by mike1250 - 09/18/2017 at 3:21pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 4:15pm
Im still not sure why you are trying to lock the elbow. But since you can unlock it I guess it serves your purposes.

I think it actually might be helpful to fix your wrist issue. Who knows. It does look like your blood circulation might be severely restricted on your arm. Does it feel tingly?

FdT
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 6:54pm
Impressive design/build skills!

What is your plan to transition from the device with locked arm back to normal play without it? I assume you don't intend to use it permanently, since you won't be able to serve well. Although I think it would be legal if you wanted to wear it in competition.

It would also be interesting to see before and after video of your forehand. If this thing fixes your problem you may end uo with a side business in custom-fitted table tennis technique correctors.
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

...... It does look like your blood circulation might be severely restricted on your arm. Does it feel tingly?

LOLLOLThanks for your kind concern as the  blood circulation in my arm is O.K.  It took a few trials to adjust the right tightness of these velcro straps.BTW,  I just returned from a one-hour test run using the wood  brace with a friend.

What a surprise to hear my friend's comments ! He told me I had a 90% success rate returning the ball . All the rallies lasted at least 15 seconds or more ( compared to less than an average of 6 seconds per rally  before ) !

It seemed that I played much better with the joint locked . But of course, I had to twist my waist a lot more ! My conclusion is  that this arm brace has  certainly solved my wrist problem !  I'll practice with this device on for a few more weeks , hoping to completely correct my ingrained flaw of flipping up the wrist each time I hit the ball.

Edited by mike1250 - 09/18/2017 at 11:09pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Impressive design/build skills!

What is your plan to transition from the device with locked arm back to normal play without it? I assume you don't intend to use it permanently, since you won't be able to serve well. Although I think it would be legal if you wanted to wear it in competition.

It would also be interesting to see before and after video of your forehand. If this thing fixes your problem you may end uo with a side business in custom-fitted table tennis technique correctors.

Thanks for your kind words... EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

I design this device to solve my personal wrist  problem . As you can see that I used a wing nut and locked washer at the joint . So you can unlock it easily any time during play if you so desire.

I consider it similar to a float for beginning swimmers . You use it for training to get the form right then stop using it . I just tried it locked  in the test run  and just served the ball topspin only . It worked out O.K.  I have not thought of using it during competitions , though . I suspect  it is ITTF complied as the rules really concern the bat & rubbers for the most  parts,  not the arm .

I love to hear your comments, dear members,   on this  ITTF compliance issue .  I am really curious to hear Baal's comment on this point . ClapClap
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 8:05pm
That is a nice device mike1250!
Some weeks ago I have noticed that I also have the same wrist issues. I have started to look more carefully to it last week and I plan to correct this issue on next weeks.
Good luck to us!
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by shinshiro shinshiro wrote:

Some weeks ago I have noticed that I also have the same wrist issues.

This device wiil  definitely be helpful to you if you have  a similar wrist issue as mine . I am very encouraged after the test run today . I felt so great having been  able to maintain several  rallies up to 30 seconds, not just returning the ball but attacking successfully numerous times  ! It's an exhilarating experience, believe me  ! Big smileBig smile

Best of luck to you shinshiro !  Clap

Edited by mike1250 - 09/18/2017 at 8:43pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 9:43pm
i hope it will not give you a restricted arm movement the moment you removed those straps when playing just because you got used to the device.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i hope it will not give you a restricted arm movement the moment you removed those straps when playing just because you got used to the device.

It seems to work well so far . After training with the i-pong and having the arm brace on for 2 days, I took it off and played this afternoon with much improvement !  My paddle stayed at a fixed angle  most of the time . Thumbs Up

Edited by mike1250 - 09/20/2017 at 8:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic