FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Should fans be allowed to see the skill of TT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should fans be allowed to see the skill of TT
    Posted: 09/18/2017 at 12:52am
With this camera angle the fan can appreciate the players skill.

Link see Lin Gaoyuan

The World Pro Tour standard camera angle is 10 feet high behind the table which gives a distorted view of the players skill being used.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/18/2017 at 12:53am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Sponsored Links

ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 4:24am
WTF, thats Zhou Y in some clips.
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 5:02am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

WTF, thats Zhou Y in some clips.

That's Zhou Yu in most of the clips.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 10:58am
I have to say from seeing the WTTC in 2017 in person that the videos we usually get don't do even come close to doing justice to how good these players are.  Not even close.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have to say from seeing the WTTC in 2017 in person that the videos we usually get don't do even come close to doing justice to how good these players are.  Not even close.

My point exactly and someone is trying to market the sport to attract spectators !
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 11:12am
Should fans be allowed to clickbait other fans?

A BIG FAT NO.

Should fans be allowed to mix up two players?

A BIG FAT NO.

I'm gonna report you.

Nah, I'm just kidding.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My point exactly and someone is trying to market the sport to attract spectators !

Agreed, filming at that angle and in 60 fps would be the gold standard for me.  With the increased frame rate, you can really get a feeling for how fast the ball actually moves.

Here's a video with 50 fps (still better than 30 fps) - make sure that you hit the settings button and select the highest quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygvqgu5C5nI
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

same in tennis; the lower the camera the better sense of speed but too low an angle and we can't see well what's happening on the other side of the court. I like that angle but many people will find it too low: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8IbXOgg9Ww

The lower angle in TT doesn't affect seeing the other side. I have filmed using just a 6' height, looks good.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 11:51am
"I have to say from seeing the WTTC in 2017 in person that the videos we usually get don't do even come close to doing justice to how good these players are.  Not even close."

Posting videos at higher rates and higher quality might help a little, but the main cause of this discrepancy between live games and video of it is the fact that the screen we are looking at is a flat surface. 2d vs REAL LIFE. We lose the sense of depth. Unless we are watching a good quality 3d holographic display (not the current 3d projection available with the glasses and such) then we would get a much better sense of the speed we are talking about. This technology still years away.

FdT

PS: Im not counting VR either, thats still a flat surface!!
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 12:06pm
That video is likely 50i, not 50p. The missing halves of the frames are interpolated.

Because I'm dead sure CCTV5 uses the ITTF live feed. 50i/60i is the broadcast standard. What we see on ITTV is a transfer of that feed. No way around it if you want to reach every corner of the world. Unless you own a dedicated channel, which I doubt the ITTF is interested.

Here is some real 60p footage:

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

That video is likely 50i, not 50p. The missing halves of the frames are interpolated.

Because I'm dead sure CCTV5 uses the ITTF live feed. 50i/60i is the broadcast standard. What we see on ITTV is a transfer of that feed. No way around it if you want to reach every corner of the world. Unless you own a dedicated channel, which I doubt the ITTF is interested.

Thanks Zeio, I think you're right - the 720p50 refers to the 50fps format on Youtube, but it has a fuzz to it that suggests an interpolated video.

That video you posted though - wow!  That's amazing - what we hopefully could get for all TT broadcasts in the future.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"I have to say from seeing the WTTC in 2017 in person that the videos we usually get don't do even come close to doing justice to how good these players are.  Not even close."

Posting videos at higher rates and higher quality might help a little, but the main cause of this discrepancy between live games and video of it is the fact that the screen we are looking at is a flat surface. 2d vs REAL LIFE. We lose the sense of depth. Unless we are watching a good quality 3d holographic display (not the current 3d projection available with the glasses and such) then we would get a much better sense of the speed we are talking about. This technology still years away.

FdT

PS: Im not counting VR either, thats still a flat surface!!

Yes.  Watching in person you also get a sense of scale that makes it much more impressive, and for some reason I could sense the spin effects on the ball more clearly; I could see the arc, the ball leaping off the table, and the sound was different.  I was really surprised by how much difference it makes, but you are right, a lot of this is the sense of depth, which is better with your eyes than through a camera.  On the days I was at the WTTC you could see some matches on tables outside of the main hall, which mean you could get really close to the action and see them play from all sorts of different angles.  It was incredible.

(Although I say it who shouldn't, I think Liu Shiwen is actually cuter when you see her in person than on video, and Ma Long is even better than you imagine).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic