FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is the deal with blades really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 9:29pm
ZLF is definitely the oddball here. Most reviews that I've come across tend to rate it as really picky on rubbers.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

A friend of mine who used to be a pro in Europe once offered the insight of how to combine blades with rubbers. If you have a hard blade it usually is better to combine it with a soft rubber. And vice versa, if you have a soft blade, it is usually better to combine it with a hard rubber. But this is not an exact science since "feeling" is subjective. It is only a suggestion and not a rule set in stone.

Sorry, but I cannot disagree more. Hard Blade does not work with soft sponge, since the sponge gets compressed more, resulting in bottoming out early, hence no spin. Similarly, with soft blade and hard rubber, you won't even ever engage the sponge enough to make a quality shot. It will be a brick.

I understand what you are saying, but you ignore that fact that for at least 30 years, europeans focused on a loop stroke that was more vertical (using the sponge to lift and create topspin) and chinese players focused on a loop stroke that was more horizontal (driving the ball forward to create topspin).

So the europeans (hard blades, and many different soft sponges from 1980-2015) and the Chinese (soft blade, hard sponges from 1970? - 2015) would disagree with you.

Also, you forgot that flex comes into play! 

A hard rubber on a soft, flexible blade (like the hurricane3 on an avalox p500) is more dangerous than a hard rubber on a stiff blade (regardless of hard or soft).

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 11:38pm
Hi  Lightzy the forum members on here are the one's who tend to be equipment junkies, enthusiast's, medium level players and want to learn from forums and share their own life experiences
many will spend more than your average player and likely to tweak their rubbers for more spin and or speed
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 1:56am
so, if we only look at 2 variables for blades and 2 variables for rubbers then we have 16 setups.  Not sure if these are the most relevant, or even possible, but i prefer #6 below.  

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

ZLF is definitely the oddball here. Most reviews that I've come across tend to rate it as really picky on rubbers.

I confirm that.
I also think the ZLF harmonizes unpredictably with rubbers, from what experience I have with this blade (about a year)
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:15am
"Those are not credible sources. Kineske-gume? Really?
You are just cherry picking stuff that suits your purpose."

Those come come Butterfly itself. BUTTERFLY!! The guys that make Viscaria. So stick that down your pipe and smoke it!!

And they were on their Butterfly catalog as well, for the North American market.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 09/20/2017 at 9:19am
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:44am

Those come come Butterfly itself. BUTTERFLY!! The guys that make Viscaria. So stick that down your pipe and smoke it!!

And they were on their Butterfly catalog as well, for the North American market.

FdT

Oh really? Then why did you not post a link from the official butterfly website?
Right... because it's not on their website, as they know it's bullshit.
I have objectively proven that the graph makes literally no sense, you have ignored that,
yet you continue to scream around with double exclamation marks. So, likewise, I will ignore you now.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 9:55am
"Oh really? Then why did you not post a link from the official butterfly website?
Right... because it's not on their website, as they know it's bullshit."

You are just making yourself look stupid now. 

The image is from the printed catalog. That's just a fact. And everyone who ever got a Butterfly catalog in North America can testify.

FdT

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 10:06am

FdT

Oh really? Then why did you not post a link from the official butterfly website?
Right... because it's not on their website, as they know it's bullshit.
I have objectively proven that the graph makes literally no sense, you have ignored that,
yet you continue to scream around with double exclamation marks. So, likewise, I will ignore you now.

Actually, in defense of FdT, that graph was on the Butterfly website for years.  I can't find it there any longer, maybe because somebody there finally realized it was pretty useless (not to mention that about 2/3 of the blades on it have been discontinued for years).  They never mentioned how they come up with the ratings.  Maybe it was the same guy who thought Viscaria would improve "perfomance" [sic].    Anyway if you guys have finished tearing into each other, now we can move on.

The next flame war, when the OP tries his experiment and tells us that a 5$ blade will be just ideal with a good rubber will begin in 3, 2, 1....
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 10:25am
LOL you really are dense aren't you?

I did not question whether the chart was actually from butterfly. I criticized you for not being able to use a credible source. And there you go again, ignoring the fact that the graph is bullshit.
If you take a look at page 30 of the 2016 North America catalogue, you can see that the graph has been heavily altered. It uses entirely different dimensions now. They now use Reaction Property and Vibration Property. The word "hardness" is nowhere to find. Guess why? Because the old graph, as I have proven before and you still ignore that, was bullshit.

The only one making himself look uneducated, close minded, superficial and thus stupid is you.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 10:55am
It doesn't matter that you think it's bullshit. 

Because what you think does not matter.

WinkLOL

FdT

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 11:51am
It does matter since I am trained to adhere to scientific standards.
My deductions are profound.
Uneducated, yet cocky people like you, however, disregard reason and make baseless claims.
In other words, you are scum and deserve to be treated as such.
Hence I'm going to ignore you.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 1:14pm
If you guys have finished tearing into each other, now we can move on.  (2)
4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 1:52pm
in the butterfly catalog, what I understood was:
if the reaction is greater than the vibration, the wood is soft.
if the reaction is close to the vibration, the wood is medium.
if the reaction is less than the vibration, the wood is hard.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 2:36pm
Interesting take on their new chart.  I'll have to think about that for a bit.

I took one look at their new definitions, and decided they make about as much sense as the old charts.  Marketing speak (reaction,vibration), not useful for most players, as you have to try a number of the blades before the information they are presenting makes any sense at all.

And with the cost of their blades, well, that just isn't likely to happen.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 2:53pm
The new chart is not mere marketing talk. The numbers are based on tests done on a testbed. Butterfly has published numerous articles on it in Takurepo.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:11pm
The new chart actually makes sense to me.

BUT, after decades of experience there is one thing I know for sure: 

The only way to know for sure if you will like a setup is to play with it (or something very much like it*).  Anything else risks wasting money.  There is no chart and no comment on the internet that can get you past this reality.  If you go by what you read here or elsewhere, you might get lucky or you might not.  If you are talking about the cost of a box of 10 balls, maybe no big deal.  If you are talking about a $400 blade?  Definitely a big deal.

*  Playing with a Timo Boll Spirit with Donic Bluefire M1 might help you decide whether you might like a Viscaria with Tibhar Evolution MX-P if you are used to playing with, say, a Stiga Clipper or some other blade that is quite different in construction.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:13pm
I find the chart useful but only because I have owned a "few" of their blades.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:16pm
That is a good point too.  You need some experience with several blades on the chart to make some sense of it for blades you haven't tried.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:24pm

The new chart is not mere marketing talk. The numbers are based on tests done on a testbed. Butterfly has published numerous articles on it in Takurepo.

Yes, but the latest chart (see Shakehand Blade Matrix in that link to the left) does not give us appropriate picture.

Most common stroke on FH (or at-least, most relevant while looking at speed parameters): loop or loop-drive

Assuming reaction property ~ some bounce height test, it is not appropriate in all cases (but more important: in common ones)

1. suspect bounce test (reaction property): ZJK-ZLC or TB-ZLC show less reaction property than Viscaria (et al)
  2. bounce test as expected but does not tell true story (especially with Chinese tacky rubbers): Viscaria (et al) reaction property much higher than that of IF-Layer ZLC. I have given two 2600 player / coaches my Viscaria & IF-Layer ZLC with same rubbers (H3 Neo / T05) on both. Both concluded that the IF-Layer ZLC (85g) was harder and faster than the Viscaria (88g). I agree that Viscaria bounce test should show higher reaction property number.
  3. Same for blades with many blades with hinoki outers - they generally show higher reaction property numbers than what you can feel on power loops.
  4. So, the acute outliers (real performance vs perceived from graph for say, the power loop FH stroke) are flexy hard blades (eg: IF-Layer ZLC) on one end and stiff soft blades (eg: Garaydia series) on the other. Flexy soft composite blades (eg: TB-ZLF) are not too badly represented on the graph

Edited by slevin - 09/20/2017 at 3:42pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 3:41pm
"The only way to know for sure if you will like a setup is to play with it (or something very much like it*).  Anything else risks wasting money.  There is no chart and no comment on the internet that can get you past this reality. "

Agreed. There is very little available when you are looking for info on equipment. Back in the day when I was looking for a replacement blade, that Butterfly chart is what was available, plus whatever description you can get on websites or catalogs AND VERY LITTLE ELSE. Nowadays there's written reviews but those are also very subjective. The youtube reviews by table tennis daily I find useful. 

But the best way to really know is to try the article yourself if you are lucky enough to know someone who owns that article. It really is the best method.

FdT
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by 4ugustu 4ugustu wrote:

in the butterfly catalog, what I understood was:
if the reaction is greater than the vibration, the wood is soft.
if the reaction is close to the vibration, the wood is medium.
if the reaction is less than the vibration, the wood is hard.
first time I have seen that chart,
you have made an interesting stmt,
I see the Photino is rated 13 vibration and 11.5 reaction - quite a difference,
never played with it - described at 7cm, Hinoki, Kiri, and ZLF - what I imagine to be soft-ish and stiff-ish blade.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 5:10pm
 I gotta side with slevin.

The new matrix chart makes little sense. Personally I never cared too much about vibration levels. To me, speed was the factor I payed more attention to. 

FdT
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The only way to know for sure if you will like a setup is to play with it

So after another long, strange trip thrpugh ej-land, baal answered the OP. The only way to find out if you overspent for your LSW is to buy a $5 or $8 blade and try it with some good rubbers. If it's terrible then the LSW was a good buy. If it feels good then the second thread you start here will be in the for sale forum.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Yes, but the latest chart (see Shakehand Blade Matrix in that link to the left) does not give us appropriate picture.

Most common stroke on FH (or at-least, most relevant while looking at speed parameters): loop or loop-drive

Assuming reaction property ~ some bounce height test, it is not appropriate in all cases (but more important: in common ones)

1. suspect bounce test (reaction property): ZJK-ZLC or TB-ZLC show less reaction property than Viscaria (et al)
  2. bounce test as expected but does not tell true story (especially with Chinese tacky rubbers): Viscaria (et al) reaction property much higher than that of IF-Layer ZLC. I have given two 2600 player / coaches my Viscaria & IF-Layer ZLC with same rubbers (H3 Neo / T05) on both. Both concluded that the IF-Layer ZLC (85g) was harder and faster than the Viscaria (88g). I agree that Viscaria bounce test should show higher reaction property number.
  3. Same for blades with many blades with hinoki outers - they generally show higher reaction property numbers than what you can feel on power loops.
  4. So, the acute outliers (real performance vs perceived from graph for say, the power loop FH stroke) are flexy hard blades (eg: IF-Layer ZLC) on one end and stiff soft blades (eg: Garaydia series) on the other. Flexy soft composite blades (eg: TB-ZLF) are not too badly represented on the graph

I'm not surprised, after reading numerous scientific studies that present contradicting results on similar setups when tested under different conditions.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2017 at 11:25pm
I've tried putting decent rubbers on dollar store blades - it's better than the original dollar store setup but no where close to a proper blade. Combo doesn't  feel right. 
I tried to make cheap combos for beginners or people who show up at clubs without rackets or cheap green and blue rackets.

However, some of my favorite blades were in the 40 to 60 range. Appelgren and Saive blades - all wood. 
Don't think I will spend over $200 for blade. My game is not good enough to spend that kind of money. Rather spend it on coaching. (Sadly I am hooked on Tenergy...spending $100 buck on a rubber - that's crazy!)

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2017 at 4:36am
Well, my experience is that dollar store setups (extremly cheap rackets $1 - $5) doesn’t work really well with good rubbers.

The main difference between a «cheap» blade ($10-$30) and an expensive ($100-$200) is build quality and sometimes more expensive materials.

I’ve broken 2 cheap blades, but not one of my more expensive ones. That said, I play with (what I consider) a hard blade. OSP V+ (it’s about the same hardness as BTY Korbel more or less) I like a hard rubber in FH (H3) and medium to soft in BH (Xiom musa).

I’ve tried several combinatons of blade and rubber and what I learned is that it doesn’t matter that much, consistancy was more important. (Atleast at my level)

I’ve seen some chinese coatches that says: soft springy blades, hard rubbers. But it comes down to skill and technique, which is something that usually comes with training in my book.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2017 at 7:55am
If you are spending so much on regular tenergies, I wouldn't skimp on the blade. The main cost is the rubbers on your setup, make sure its on something nice - not that Applegren's aren't, but i find them far too slow / other problems on them, personally.

Changing from the applegren to the acoustic was night and day to me. 

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2017 at 12:07pm

Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

I can assure you there are countless high level players who use such rackets and have no problems with "no spin". 

It's called user error. 

Lol, what's your point? Countless high level players use tenergy. You think that's a soft rubber? You haven't even specified what you think is "such" a pro racket. And yes, some players, even high level might be using soft rubber because for example their backhand is underdeveloped so they just play passively.
Doesn't take anything away from the fact that really soft rubber (<40 deg) + hard blade is not optimal for an offensive minded player with good technique.

coach of a top 40 ittf player also said hard rubber flexy blade
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2017 at 3:10pm
Another consideration with cheep blades, consistency.  What I mean is when you buy a blade from any TT manufacturer you expect to be able to buy another blade that plays very close to the first blade.  My experience with cheep blades is that there is a lot of variability between one blade and the next.

For instance, I bought a 4 pack of cheep blades at Sears a few years ago.  There was some variation in the thickness of the plys, the overall thickness of the blades, and given this a lot of variation in feel and speed of the blades.  One was a slow defensive blade, one was almost an offensive blade (very solid, nice feel), while the other 2 were in the allaround to allaround plus category.   

You may find a lot of the plys have pieces and parts glued together to make the blade, I've seen small gaps inside the plys, different colored wood in the same ply.  If there is thin sponge on the racket, be prepared for a soft top ply of wood.  After you finally get all the premade sponge off be prepared to seal the blade before you assemble it.  I've had better results with a decent looking hardbat racket.  Not only is it easier to get the rubber off, but usually you can get the glue off if it stays on the wood a lot easier than getting the sponge off of other rackets.

I've been asked to do this for a number of people over the years, but your millage may vary depending on how lucky you get.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic