Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boost Like the CNT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boost Like the CNT
    Posted: 09/19/2017 at 12:54am
Since the other thread is getting nowhere with the original question, I feel obliged to update the naughty folks on how the CNT boost.

This thread is not for the argument on ethics, remorse, karma...etc. Please proceed to the other thread for that. The purpose of this thread is for the exchange of knowledge.

This video was uploaded by magazine Ping Pong on Apr 22, 2016, in response to Boll's allegation moments before the WTTC Kuala Lumpur 2016.

https://v.qq.com/x/page/t0304xpzbnw.html
https://v.qq.com/x/page/t0313vjqm6e.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0NDQ0MTMxMg==.html

In the video, Peng You, chief editor of the magazine Ping Pong, talked to 吴汀/Wu Ting, manager of Beijing Haifu Weiye Technology Company(info from 2010, could be outdated), on the origin, objective, and use of booster.

It is revealed the CNT players leave all the dirty work to this man. They tend to boost every 3 to 4 days. They prefer to prime the sponge with a layer of booster, then a few layers of water-based glue as another primer, then a few layers of booster. The exact number of layers of glue and booster depends on the preference of the players, but most prefer 3 layers of glue.

He prefers no booster on the sponge and recommends 3 layers of glue then 3 layers of booster for Chinese rubbers with the Yunhai sponge, to increase bite and the forward and downward momenta of the second bounce of the shot(what some call the spin effect). Another reason for the glue primer is to serve as a protection for the sponge. For foreign rubbers(JPN/GER), he recommends 3 layers of glue and 1 layer of booster on the sponge, 2 at most, to prevent the pores of bubble from bursting.

He also emphasizes the job of the gluing is the most important aspect.

P.S.
Added link to video for those who can't get embed to work.

Edited by zeio - 06/24/2023 at 2:37pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:17am
Great info, thanks for sharing this!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:25am
Does that mean they use a new rubber every 3-4 days or does he reboost tbe old ones?

Also what does it mean to prime the sponge if you don't want the booster to come in direct contact with the sponge?

Three layers of glue must add a lot of weight. Actually four if I am counting right.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 4:02am
I would expect they change rubbers every 3-4 days.
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 6:01am

ZJK is on record saying he changes his rubbers either every one or two days during competitions.
This clip is most appropriate for that thread. Why dont you move it there ?
But this clip does not answer a lot of issues and doubts raised.
zeio, your reference to the discussion in another forum on the subject of boosting was also very good but was not followed up.
Alas the subject matter was continuously hijacked.
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 7:04am

it is good.

btw, pretty sure "ppm" stands for "parts per million"

FdT
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 11:11am
So for Jap/Euro rubbers 1 to 2 layers of booster on the sponge directly first before 3 layers of glue?
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Does that mean they use a new rubber every 3-4 days or does he reboost tbe old ones?

Also what does it mean to prime the sponge if you don't want the booster to come in direct contact with the sponge?

Three layers of glue must add a lot of weight. Actually four if I am counting right.

It is not clarified in the video, but in the second half there was a Q&A section, in which Wu was asked when is the best time to boost before a competition comes up, to which he said a week.

Rumor also has it that the CNT players replace their rubbers after each match.

Back at the send-off for the London Olympics, when asked what she brought in her luggage, DN replied after a chuckle, "I think I've got enough clothes, 5 blades, and 20-30 rubbers."

So for a major tournament, they may prepare a dozen of rubbers beforehand, and go through them as the competition unfolds. For other days, they may use the same rubber longer and reboost every 3-4 days, given there is a limit to their supply every month.

Most booster stresses the sponge really hard. Priming the sponge with layers of glue sort of reduces that stress and facilitates the "safe" removal of the glue layer. Also, the additional thickness gives more bite as Wu explained. Maybe that's why they use 2.10 instead of 2.15 to stay within the limit. Weight to them is not a problem, so it seems, as LXX used a 96g Ebenholz NCT V at the Rio Olympics.

Edited by zeio - 09/19/2017 at 11:39am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by drclaude1 drclaude1 wrote:

So for Jap/Euro rubbers 1 to 2 layers of booster on the sponge directly first before 3 layers of glue?

First, 3 layers of water-based glue.
Then, 1 to 2 layers of booster.

Edited by zeio - 09/19/2017 at 11:44am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

It is not clarified in the video, but in the second half there was a Q&A section, in which Wu was asked when is the best time to boost before a competition comes up, to which he said a week.

Back at the send-off for the London Olympics, when asked what she brought in her luggage, DN replied after a chuckle, "I think I've got enough clothes, 5 blades, and 20-30 rubbers."

So for a major tournament, they may prepare a dozen of rubbers beforehand, and go through them as the competition unfolds. For other days, they may use the same rubber longer and reboost every 3-4 days, given there is a limit to their supply every month.

Most booster stresses the sponge really hard. Priming the sponge with layers of glue sort of reduces that stress and facilitates the "safe" removal of the glue layer. Also, the additional thickness gives more bite as Wu explained. Maybe that's why they use 2.10 instead of 2.15 to stay within the limit. Weight to them is not a problem, so it seems, as LXX used a 96g Ebenholz NCT V at the Rio Olympics.

So what happened to the statement " H3 (and variants) needs to be played a certain (let's say 7) hours before they are in prime condition"?  Is this true and how does the CNT players let the rubbers achieve their prime state?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

ZJK is on record saying he changes his rubbers either every one or two days during competitions.
This clip is most appropriate for that thread. Why dont you move it there ?
But this clip does not answer a lot of issues and doubts raised.
zeio, your reference to the discussion in another forum on the subject of boosting was also very good but was not followed up.
Alas the subject matter was continuously hijacked.

Thank you for the info.

I thought about posting this in that thread, but no. This one needs to be on its own, as the intent is not to deal with the philosophical issues and existential doubts, but only to present what is known at the moment.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 12:37pm
Zeio, do they also say something about what type of glue is most suitable in combination with booster? Thick glue is better?
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:02pm
Given the role of social media today one has to wonder aloud if the CNT booster rumors are being generated by companies active in the manufacture and distribution of these products including those people who are paid to give these rumors more validity such as coaches or ex-cnt players. Social media now is a prime source for false and misleading information generated for economic gain or political and difficult to sort out as it becomes an echo chamber.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

So what happened to the statement " H3 (and variants) needs to be played a certain (let's say 7) hours before they are in prime condition"?  Is this true and how does the CNT players let the rubbers achieve their prime state?

its true person used to ditch their rubber every match. you could see 2 hours old rubbers in the trash can schlagger had like 180 sets of rubber each year
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

The interview only dealt with boosting so this question was not addressed. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but in LXX's case, she prepares two identical rackets at a time and picks the one that feels the best to her on that day. I suppose she practices with them on an alternate basis? I'm not sure.

Edited by zeio - 09/19/2017 at 2:01pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:43pm
Here is Tabletennis 11 advertising boosters with this interview as TableTennis 11 site has numerous boosters for sale. This along with the CNT rumors of booster usage go hand in hand to reinforce the idea that rubber boosters provide an advantage. Notice that the social media rumors along with the internet rumors highlight CNT usage who happen to have the highest prestige value in the game which gives the manufacture of these booster materials the greatest return on there marketing dollars as they are not interested in promoting the use of boosters say by British or American players as nobody cares about them as they provide no marketing value.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Zeio, do they also say something about what type of glue is most suitable in combination with booster? Thick glue is better?

Water-based glue. As to what brand, there is no mention of it. People asked what brand of booster is the best, to which Wu said it depends. I guess he didn't want to come across as pushy.

Though it is known Nittaku Finezip was used in the era of WLQ, MLin, and WH. Not sure if that's changed now. In China, most common brands are Haifu and Dianchi.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Here is Tabletennis 11 advertising boosters with this interview as TableTennis 11 site has numerous boosters for sale. This along with the CNT rumors of booster usage go hand in hand to reinforce the idea that rubber boosters provide an advantage. Notice that the social media rumors along with the internet rumors highlight CNT usage who happen to have the highest prestige value in the game which gives the manufacture of these booster materials the greatest return on there marketing dollars as they are not interested in promoting the use of boosters say by British or American players as nobody cares about them as they provide no marketing value.

I have to say that I didn't like the effect it had on T05.  It seemed to make it pretty mushy and also uncontrollable.   I suppose if I had stuck with it I would have seen the advantage, but it is a lot of work.  Interestingly, a couple of former US team members had the same reaction when they tried my blades (they are both T05 users who use blades similar to mine).

But maybe I over-boosted it.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 2:08pm

I have to say that I didn't like the effect it had on T05.  It seemed to make it pretty mushy and also uncontrollable.   I suppose if I had stuck with it I would have seen the advantage, but it is a lot of work.  Interestingly, a couple of former US team members had the same reaction when they tried my blades (they are both T05 users who use blades similar to mine).

But maybe I over-boosted it.

I tried my friends boosted T05 and I experienced the same mushy feeling. I wonder if the priming described in this thread makes a difference?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 2:13pm
What booster did you folks use on the T05? Falco Long?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 2:15pm
Yes.  I applied two coats directly to the sponge, allowed to dry fully between each, then two coats of glue.

It seems I should have put a layer of glue first.

In any case, I am happy with what I use now, so won't explore boosting again.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 2:25pm

This along with the CNT rumors of booster usage go hand in hand to reinforce the idea that rubber boosters provide an advantage.

You're suggesting that Boll's allegation was misguided?

Or that Mizutani's determination was misplaced when he decided to boycott?

Edited by zeio - 09/19/2017 at 2:29pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 2:32pm

Yes.  I applied two coats directly to the sponge, allowed to dry fully between each, then two coats of glue.

It seems I should have put a layer of glue first.

In any case, I am happy with what I use now, so won't explore boosting again.

Two layers on Tenergy felt mushy to me. Just one layer was the best option when I used to play with Tenergy 05. I used Falco Tempo (not Long).
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 2:38pm
This is classic internet marketing using both internet and social media sites to push a product. The ROI of internet marketing vs traditional magazine ads is well known and provides smaller firms with limited budgets a way to market beyond traditional magazine, radio and TV at a fraction of the price. Boll has nothing to do with generating any of this marketing nor the rumors that it creates. I only provide this point of view to remind everyone that this marketing push along with the CNT booster rumors is about marketing boosters both by the manufactures and distributors of these products.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 4:08pm
I guess I should get paid by tt11, then. I'm doing them such a big favor.

I've been loosely following the booster scene since 2009. The brands involved have been well established through traditional word of mouth at point of sale long before this video was made public. Internet marketing doesn't work that well in China. Check out the view count. It has been posted on various forums and the response is lackluster. There is also next to nothing about Wu Ting on the internet.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 4:19pm
internet marketing via internet has been going on now for many years the addition of social media sites that act as echo chambers for misleading information has now become common. There is clearly a tie in between the CNT booster rumors on social media sites and the marketing of booster products. Its rather obvious. Enough said.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 4:53pm

internet marketing via internet has been going on now for many years the addition of social media sites that act as echo chambers for misleading information has now become common. There is clearly a tie in between the CNT booster rumors on social media sites and the marketing of booster products. Its rather obvious. Enough said.

It's hard to deny that information from high profile TT folks about gear ends up functioning as promotion for that gear: be it for booster, rubbers, glue or socks. But to conclude that that the stuff is misinformation from there is preposterous.   By that logic all we would be doing taking about gear on forums is misinform each other.   Which would beg the question, why should we believe any of the misinformation you are spreading about misinformation?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 6:14pm
Is it safe to assume lineup32 is in the anti-booster camp?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 6:42pm
I tried boosting like the CNT,
But I found boosting just wasn't for me.
Used Haifu for a week to boost my rubber,
But it turned my Leyland into whale blubber.

So my advice to you, if you're a hardbat man;
Don't boost or tune, even if you can (afford to).
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2017 at 6:48pm
Haiku on haifu lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic