Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - US Open 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

US Open 2017

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/17/2014
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 789
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2018 at 4:08pm
Ha - my math under pressure isn't so good. Had to run back to the lab to fix a leaking roof !!
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Back to Top
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 08/16/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 829
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Results and ratings are up on USATT site. 

Quick question: any particular reason why it was impossible to seed unrated foreign players (mostly from Japan and Korea) correctly? Eventual winner was seed #4 in Open RR group. 8 Open RR groups were won by #4 seed... Surely it's possible to use estimated rating, no? Or is it impossible due to ITTF/USATT rules etc.? 

By Open RR groups, you mean Men's RR groups. There were also two #4 seed women finalists with 6 Women's RR groups won by #4 seed.

Going by ITTF ranking to seed is one thing that unbalances the draw, but at least there's logic. Using estimated 2500 for Men, 2400 for women would help. The estimates could be off by a couple of hundred points which would be better than being off by a couple of thousand points. 
Money can't buy happiness but in table tennis, money can buy double happiness.
Back to Top
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/18/2013
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 742
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Results and ratings are up on USATT site. 

Quick question: any particular reason why it was impossible to seed unrated foreign players (mostly from Japan and Korea) correctly? Eventual winner was seed #4 in Open RR group. 8 Open RR groups were won by #4 seed... Surely it's possible to use estimated rating, no? Or is it impossible due to ITTF/USATT rules etc.? 

By Open RR groups, you mean Men's RR groups. There were also two #4 seed women finalists with 6 Women's RR groups won by #4 seed.

Going by ITTF ranking to seed is one thing that unbalances the draw, but at least there's logic. Using estimated 2500 for Men, 2400 for women would help. The estimates could be off by a couple of hundred points which would be better than being off by a couple of thousand points. 

Yep, I was talking about Men RR groups  - and you are absolutely correct, 6 out 18 groups on Women Open side were won by #4 seed as well (which is even worse than 8 out of 44 for Men).

This probably messed up SE brackets as well. 
 
USATT: 1750
BTY Defense Alpha - Rasant Beat - Cloud & Fog OX
Back to Top
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 02/01/2011
Location: NC
Status: Offline
Points: 158
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2018 at 11:01am
I had the pleasure of playing Kohei (finalist) in the mens singles main event RR.  I am lowly 1512 and was his first match.  Very nice guy letting me feel like I was 2000 hitting forehand topspins 10ft from the table.  He did a couple of serious serves on me that were high level, I still shake my head at the spin and placement.  He didn't hold back, maybe just a little, against the two other 2100 players in the 4 player group.  Was awesome to watch.

-Vinny
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)
Back to Top
wilkinru View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/28/2015
Location: Las Vegas
Status: Offline
Points: 456
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by mycuzinvinny mycuzinvinny wrote:

I had the pleasure of playing Kohei (finalist) in the mens singles main event RR.  I am lowly 1512 and was his first match.  Very nice guy letting me feel like I was 2000 hitting forehand topspins 10ft from the table.  He did a couple of serious serves on me that were high level, I still shake my head at the spin and placement.  He didn't hold back, maybe just a little, against the two other 2100 players in the 4 player group.  Was awesome to watch.

-Vinny


Did you get a video of it? I'd love to see how someone around my ranking would do :)
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Back to Top
rosecitytt View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member
Avatar

Joined: 06/28/2015
Location: NA
Status: Offline
Points: 305
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2018 at 10:15am
Gordy:
Know you must be busy after US open, but could not reach any by phone,
hope you are receiving this  !!!!!
It's been more than a week, and we have tournament results that rating has not been processed, it affects all players here, could you help with this situation, thank you.
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
Back to Top
pdotec View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 02/01/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 240
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2018 at 10:35am
Japanese YouTuber Gucchy played at US Open and he posted several matches ln his YouTube Channel

[卓球動画チャンネル]WRM-TV

US Open  Those who have watched him play matches all over Japan will find this interesting.  His rating is about 2400.  This is his match against Patrick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EvJXk5KCn8


Edited by pdotec - 01/06/2018 at 10:37am
Back to Top
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 03/21/2014
Location: Sonora CA
Status: Offline
Points: 1453
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2018 at 10:58am
Originally posted by rosecitytt rosecitytt wrote:

Gordy:
Know you must be busy after US open, but could not reach any by phone,
hope you are receiving this  !!!!!
It's been more than a week, and we have tournament results that rating has not been processed, it affects all players here, could you help with this situation, thank you.


I think you're asking to much of the USATT.  With the holidays and time off for the staff members who worked the open, it's going to take a few extra days to get things processed.  I don't really understand how it affects all the players so soon after your tournament.  When was your tournament?


Edited by mts388 - 01/06/2018 at 10:59am
Back to Top
rosecitytt View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member
Avatar

Joined: 06/28/2015
Location: NA
Status: Offline
Points: 305
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2018 at 12:13pm
You are right.  Just checking, I found out Jon left suddenly, I did not even get a chance to say thank-you & good-bye, too bad.
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.
Mark all posts as read :: Delete cookies set by this forum

Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser in order to use this forum


Copyright © 2003-2013 MyTableTennis.NET - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer