0 [0.00%]
16 [38.10%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the USATT switch their ball choice
    Posted: 09/29/2017 at 3:41am

Assume all the balls listed above are 3*

Should the USATT switch their ball choice from Nittaku Premium 40+ to another brand for the US Open and US Nationals ?

Reasons

DHS 40+ is used on World Pro Tour and a lot cheaper

Nittaku Premium Cost is $2.50 each, their training balls cost more than the DHS 3* 40+

Why should USA players have pay high prices for balls in a minor sport
which does not make it user friendly for new participants to grow the sport.

Ask your non playing friends,relatives, co-workers if it makes sense to them.

EDIT ADDED

What countries outside of Japan are the NP40+ mostly used ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/29/2017 at 8:10am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Sponsored Links

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:43am
Sure, as soon as alternative US Open/Nationals sponsor is identified and current contract with Nittaku runs out.

As far as it being obstacle to newcomers in TT - no one forces new players to use NP 40+ when they pick up paddle for the first time. 
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:49am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Sure, as soon as alternative US Open/Nationals sponsor is identified and current contract with Nittaku runs out.

As far as it being obstacle to newcomers in TT - no one forces new players to use NP 40+ when they pick up paddle for the first time. 

Not until they start playing in Sanctioned tournaments using the Nittaku Premium 40+ or being trained by coaches who use them.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/29/2017 at 6:53am
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:05am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Not until they start playing in Sanctioned tournaments using the Nittaku Premium 40+ or being trained by coaches who use them.

Not sure about tournaments and coaches in Pongville, but where I live, I do not have to pay for tournament balls or bring a bag of balls from specific brand to coaching session (and I'm yet to see a coach using NP 40+ for lessons - that's what training balls are for). 

There are plenty obstacles facing TT beginners, but the fact that US Open uses NP40+ is probably way down on that list. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:33am

Not sure about tournaments and coaches in Pongville, but where I live, I do not have to pay for tournament balls or bring a bag of balls from specific brand to coaching session (and I'm yet to see a coach using NP 40+ for lessons - that's what training balls are for). 

There are plenty obstacles facing TT beginners, but the fact that US Open uses NP40+ is probably way down on that list. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

You have valid points on beginners. There are clubs in my area which require all players to use house NP 40+ balls unless both players agree on a different ball.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:25am
If the house supplies the NP 40's, why would anyone care.  We use 4 or 5 different balls at our club and nobody seems to care.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

If the house supplies the NP 40's, why would anyone care.  We use 4 or 5 different balls at our club and nobody seems to care.
============
Same in our club.  Players bring their own balls.

Edited by skip3119 - 09/29/2017 at 12:23pm
skip3119
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:36am

Because the house balls are well used past new, so you can't even use your own new NP 40+ unless the other player agrees. Some won't agree to use another brand.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:16pm
Before we get too excited about this, let's wait and make sure that the quality that we were seeing with early batches of D40+ balls will be maintained, which we are not yet sure about.  However, if so, one might consider changing, depending on some other factors, which I certainly don't know.

USATT should save money if they can, and while NP40+ is a great ball that most people like, it is the most expensive ball on the market.

On the other hand, if Nittaku and USATT has a sponsorship agreement and USATT gets the balls for free or at a reduced price, then don't change.

If we don't know the answers to these questions we can't make a rational decision.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:18pm
Regarding "house balls", most of the places I have played in the US don't supply balls, players bring balls.  At my club people have preferred NP40+ for serious play and XSF and Yinhe seamless for multiballs and lessons (also Nittaku JTop), but the D40+ has definitely been catching on.  But again, people bring their own balls.
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:27pm

Because the house balls are well used past new, so you can't even use your own new NP 40+ unless the other player agrees. Some won't agree to use another brand.
Exactly where is Pongville located, some dictatorship led country where choice of balls is not allowed? I’m calling Shenanigans on players who would refuse to use a new NP ball vs a well worn one. What would the club players do if they were provided new balls, all refuse to play? Lol
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:44pm
I wish we had that problem, and although the NP is well liked, the preference of the ball snobs locally seems to be for the Butterfly ball.  Yuck!
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 1:00pm
Our club supplies the balls.  One or two want to use their own NP 40's, but most use whatever I buy (mostly nexy, kingnick and yinhee).  I've never seen a DHS ball at the club.  Most of our players fall under the 1200 level and probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.  We have 6 or 7 1700+ level players and they don't really care either.

I think if you're looking for differences you will find them.  When we miss the table we just assume it's our fault.  It never occurs to us that it's the ball, the rubber or the blade that caused us to miss. 
LuckyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 1:11pm
My preference is for the Nittaku. All of the others have or have had drastic quality-control issues in my experience.

The first option is an invalid option in my opinion. The quality of ball on the World Tour is much greater than any other ball. The worst DHS ball on the World Tour is better than the best Nittaku an average player could find. I have my doubts that any tournament outside of the World Tour could get a supply of those balls.

@Baal
If I'm not mistaken, most of the sponsored events gets the balls for free or at a drastically reduced price. For example, a local tournament out here uses Nittaku, and has for decades. I don't believe they're free, but they're cheap to the point that it's not a significant figure in their costs.

PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 3:30pm
The Nittaku is probably the best quality ball on the market, when you get to a major competition you want a ball that is reliable and that you know will allow you to perform. 

The issue here is really only with the price of buying Nittaku balls for practice rather than USATT ensuring the best quality conditions for their main events of the year, so in that sense I don't believe there should be a change.

http://mhtabletennis.com
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 4:16pm
However good the other brand of balls are, they will have different playing characteristics. 

If the tournament requires NP40+, then people would like to use NP40+ in training. That is the reason of the cost going up. 

I wish USATT have no role in deciding the balls used in the tournament. Why do they have to? They do not decide which brand of rubbers and blades, are they?

Edited by book4all - 09/29/2017 at 4:30pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 5:45pm
Actually they don't decide except in the US Open, Nationals, Team trials etc. which are events that they actually organize (as opposed to just sanctioning).  Otherwise in sanctioned USATT events the organizers can choose any ball  as long as it is on the ITTF approved list.  They have to say what ball will be used on the entry form.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 6:02pm

Does anyone know the balls used for the top 8 pro leagues in the world ? Is the Nittaku Premium 40+ used for any of them ?

Top 8 Pro leagues

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/29/2017 at 6:05pm
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:22pm

Does anyone know the balls used for the top 8 pro leagues in the world ? Is the Nittaku Premium 40+ used for any of them ?

In the German Bundesliga the clubs get to decide which balls and table they want to use. You can see here what the different teams are using and some do use the Nittaku ball:
Materialliste
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Otherwise in sanctioned USATT events the organizers can choose any ball  as long as it is on the ITTF approved list.

Slight correction here, the ball has to be USATT approved. The Gambler ball is NOT on the ITTF approved list but it is USATT approved hence it can be used in a USATT event. We did actually use it for one tournament because the ball is cheap and decent but then moved away from it because the tournaments became sponsored by Paddle Palace and they provided Nittaku balls.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

In the German Bundesliga the clubs get to decide which balls and table they want to use. You can see here what the different teams are using and some do use the Nittaku ball:
Materialliste

So 3 of 10 clubs use Nittaku sd 40+ I assume that is the Sha ball made in China

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/29/2017 at 7:31pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:33pm

Seems to be this one: Nittaku SD 40+

Edit: just looked it up and that is not he SHA ball

Edited by Matt Pimple - 09/29/2017 at 7:35pm

My Feedback
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:36pm

The side of the ball box says made in China.

SD 40+ made in China
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:38pm

SD 40+ made in China

Yes I saw that it is made in China but it seems to be a new ball and they also offer the SHA which is different.

My Feedback
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:51pm

SD 40+ made in China

Yes I saw that it is made in China but it seems to be a new ball and they also offer the SHA which is different.

The cost of the SD 40+ is $1.27 each half of NP 40+ made in Japan and cheaper than the $2 Sha ball.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:55pm

The cost of the SD 40+ is $1.27 each half of NP 40+ made in Japan and cheaper than the $2 Sha ball.

Why don't you order some and tell us how they play! They seem to be good enough for the Bundesliga.

My Feedback
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 9:01pm

Why don't you order some and tell us how they play! They seem to be good enough for the Bundesliga.

Then they should be another better economical choice for the USA tournaments and the players who have to use them for training. Why even test them if they have Bundesliga credibility ?

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 09/29/2017 at 9:03pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:13pm

SD 40+ made in China

Bear in mind that Nittaku has always had some 3* balls made for them by DHS in China, even back in the celluloid era, so almost certainly these are rebranded D40+ balls.  I haven't tried any yet but I would anticipate that they are pretty good.
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 9:21am
Not a lot of people have experience with the Joola flash. Also a good ball, better than XSF.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 4:23am

In my opinion, the USA tournaments should use whatever ball is used on the world professional tour. They shouldn't force the USA players to practice with the most expensive ball costing $2.50 - 3.00 per ball, ridiculous.

The Nittaku Premium 40+ is mostly only used in Japan.

Presently the poll majority supports the DHS D40+ which is used on the world professional tour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic