Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why ABS plastic disagree with the chop-defenders.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Why ABS plastic disagree with the chop-defenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why ABS plastic disagree with the chop-defenders.
    Posted: 09/29/2017 at 3:59pm

Choppers all dislike and curse plastic balls, and right so.
Non-spinny balls would make your defence less effective, and the ABS plastic will do it absolutely.

REASONINGS: the plastic is less spinny and the ball will go straigh forward longway upon bounce on the table, without much descent.
You only can chop the ball after it comes down below the table, far away off the table.   No good ball descent -- no good chopping shots.
Sorry about all the choppers.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 4:38pm
[igormode]go learn some skillz.[/igormode]
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 5:05pm
Igor, did you check the world ranking of Gionis and Filus lately?
Dr. N Matador ST; Nittaku DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer Rhino 1.8

My Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 5:41pm
From Igor at some earlier time (2014):

MESSAGE of 'THANK YOU'...

According to many people responses, the Plastic Balls do favour elder folk over the youngsters, for being easier to handle, some slower and less spinny.

Thank you ever so much, Mr. Sharara.
We have now got table tennis game more controllable with the plastic.

QUOD ERAT FACIENDUM.

Yours sincerely

Igor NOVICK
a rational blocker
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2017 at 5:46pm

At the amateur level, the chop block using long pips, close and away from the table is easier to do on any topspin, based on my experience.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 12:02pm
The abs balls I have are way spinnier than xsf. I'm not sure why to single them out.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

According to many
people responses, the Plastic Balls do favour elder folk over the
youngsters, for being easier to handle, some slower and less spinny.

QUOD ERAT FACIENDUM.

Yours sincerely

Igor NOVICK
a rational blocker

igor is drinking vodka in abs bottles
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

At the amateur level, the chop block using long pips, close and away from the table is easier to do on any topspin, based on my experience.

The problem is that there is not enough topspin to bring the ball landing on the table. Dead
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 6:53pm
THE ALLROUNDERS SHOULD SURVIVE, AND THE CHOPPERS ALL SHALL GO AWAY.

When using those non-spinny ABS plastic, Allround Player does have much better chance of winning than the pure chopper. Allround, versatile play is really a hopeful style, unlike the monotonous chop-chop-chop.     

Ruwen Filus stands now World's 23, far above any other defender in the ITTF List.   YSH is now coming down in the world, his chops getting less effective.

Edited by igorponger - 09/30/2017 at 7:08pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

The abs balls I have are way spinnier than xsf. I'm not sure why to single them out.

I agree
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

YSH is now coming down in the world, his chops getting less effective.

And you say this based on what?

Joo has been playing pretty well in the T2APAC league (using DHS D40+)..  He's no longer ITTF ranked only because he stopped playing internationally, probably due to his age or for personal reasons. He's still easily a top 20 player in the world. He beat both Shibaev and Drinkhall just last week.

If you want to talk about plastic and defenders in general, Joo, Gionis and Muramatsu, each won 1 major tournament in the past year or so.
JSH | T05 | Curl P-1R
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 11:00am
This is simply idiotic reasoning. JSH is 37 and has been battling an autoimmune disease that caused him to reduce the events he enters. Wouldn't that be a more fact-based explanation for any declines in his performance? His style requires extreme athleticism. Getting even a little slower will affect him more than most players. But of course, it must be the balls, right?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 12:06pm
There are 5 female choppers in the top 30, 6 if you include Wu Yang, so clearly the new ball hasn't dissuaded that many people from chopping.
TSP Swat Carbon
Fastarc G-1
Fastarc G-1
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 9:48pm
today i played for the 1st time with the DHS D40+, new unused balls from the PanAm Championships. 
What a nightmare playing with those, i'm a pips in chopper defender, and i was annoyed how low the ball bounces, i couldn't block incoming spinny balls nor chop-push, because the ball hit the edges of the rubber instead of the center due to the lower expected bounce.

I did like however the feel of it, seems more durable and also they seem to be more spinny since i was facing some heavy sidespin from my opponent which i haven't seen in a while, at least that's good . I couldn't perform offensive topspin or sidespin because of shoulder pain, i'll try next time but i don't think i'll end up liking the ABS ball due to the bounce.

my first impression seems to be they do favor younger attacker players, choppers and blockers not so much.

I was eager to get into the abs trend since they're cheaper. now i have to find some time to adapt to them Cry

Tibhar Triple Carbon: 999 Super 999T & ADIDAS eRazor D30
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

There are 5 female choppers in the top 30, 6 if you include Wu Yang, so clearly the new ball hasn't dissuaded that many people from chopping.

And since 100% of posters here are not ITTF-ranked, it's probably safe to assume that it's not really ball properties that prevent us from getting there. 
USATT: 1725
BTY Defense Alpha - Rasant Beat - Cloud & Fog OX
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 11:38pm

According to many people responses, the Plastic Balls do favour elder folk over the youngsters, for being easier to handle, some slower and less spinny.

QUOD ERAT FACIENDUM.

Yours sincerely

Igor NOVICK
a rational blocker

The problem with this quote is that it doesn't specify "which" plastic ball is being described.

By my count, there have been 

1) cellulose-acetate
2) poly-balls seemed
3) poly-balls seemless
4) abs seemed 

what other plastic balls have been manufactured?

between the different types, they have greater variances in weight, bounce height, material deformation, and spin properties than between any two * to *** celluloid balls ever produced...

it would seem to me that some of the balls (like the XuShaoFa seemless) favor a certain style of attack (high bounce, fast attack, flat hit)

while others (like that nittaku premiums) favor a more spin oriented game (lower bounce, spinnier).

I almost feel like depending on which ball I am using, I should have different blade and rubber combos to take advantage of the ball's specific properties.

Was the ITTF's eventual goal  to create a more frequent mad rush on equipment purchases? 

now annually as manufacturers change ball formulation, instead the waiting 10 years between changes to the ball size (40mm was 2000, plastic was 2011?)  

US1260.RC952 . Yasaka Gatien Extra : Target National + Rasant
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2017 at 11:40pm
...duplicate

Edited by icontek - 10/01/2017 at 11:45pm
US1260.RC952 . Yasaka Gatien Extra : Target National + Rasant
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2017 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

The problem is that there is not enough topspin to bring the ball landing on the table. Dead

It is easier for me. I don't have any problems, seams like I can do it indefinitely sometimes. I am not playing against professionals.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 12:04pm
TOO BOUNCY BALL...

Chopping play hopeless with plastic.
Plastic ball DHS 40D+ in use.

The ball bounce too high on the looper's court. much higher than celluloid. This high bounce is easy to attack for the looper.

My hearfelt сondolence to all the choppers.     
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 3:39pm
Igorponger is objectively and factually incorrect about this.  ABS balls with seams (such as D40+ and Nittaku Premium) do not bounce higher than celluloid in static tests.  They bounce essentially the same height as celluloid.  The best way to test this is to compare a Nittaku Premium from celluloid or ABS materials.  Bounce height is the same.  I am far from the only one who has done this.  In actual play because of the rougher surface the ABS balls tend to kick off the table slight more but that does not make them systematically higher.

By contrast, the first generation seamed 40+ balls made of cellulose acetate bounce markedly and consistently lower than celluloid (and bounce irregularly, are not round, are expensive and are fragile).

Finally, most seamless balls, such as XSF, bounce a little bit higher than celluloid, albeit consistently.

One last comparison.  Butterfly G40+ are similar to celluloid in static tests but are smoother on the outside and tend to slide a bit on the table when they are hit hard.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 4:06pm
I won't touch on the subject of ABS balls, seamed or seamless, as that is best left to those of you who have had to contend with them for the past four years.

I do find it pretty ridiculous that Ma Long's souped up and oiled down "cannon forehand", while beautifully executed, is so difficult (hell well nigh impossible) to backhand chop against for more than three or four shots as to make underspin play, to quote an Irish ballad, "the joke of the year."

This should not be table tennis.  Harumph harumph harumph piss moan whinge.  Where is the Joo Se Hyuk of 2003 now that he and his style are so desperately needed?  
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

I won't touch on the subject of ABS balls, seamed or seamless, as that is best left to those of you who have had to contend with them for the past four years.

I do find it pretty ridiculous that Ma Long's souped up and oiled down "cannon forehand", while beautifully executed, is so difficult (hell well nigh impossible) to backhand chop against for more than three or four shots as to make underspin play, to quote an Irish ballad, "the joke of the year."

This should not be table tennis.  Harumph harumph harumph piss moan whinge.  Where is the Joo Se Hyuk of 2003 now that he and his style are so desperately needed?  
I feel partially this is the fault of modern coaching, we have a few top 50 defenders but we all want JSH. The others rarely seem comfertable hitting a bh topspin and almost never a forehand chop. How come it is that JSH just beat boll the world numer 4/5 somthing good at 37 but no one 20-30 can trouble him regularly who is a defender
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 9:58am
I think this may be the best explanation. It is hard to find coaching if you want to be a defender in most places in the world.  This has been an steady trend through every rule and ball change. 
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 12:30pm

Finally, most seamless balls, such as XSF, bounce a little bit higher than celluloid, albeit consistently.

This is good news. I can now refer to this as a researched finding to explain why I keep top edgeing balls.Wink

>60yo, 60lbs overweight

Darker Speed 90 + T05/T05

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2017 at 4:58pm

I think this may be the best explanation. It is hard to find coaching if you want to be a defender in most places in the world.  This has been an steady trend through every rule and ball change. 

Hi.  My name is Nigel Rodriguez and I'm the best bloody defensive player the Falkland Islands has ever seen.  But I can't get no satisfaction, as my first coach, who moved to the Falklands to get away from it all, got caught in a crossfire between the British Navy and the Argentines and decided that maybe the Falklands was not for him.  So now what do I do?  I read about Joo Se Hyuk and Chen Weixing and Rowan Filius and guys like that in the Falklands Gazette sports section (we don't have too much to do here but tend sheep and play pong) and I want and need some world class coaching so that someday I can become somebody in the pong world.

Pong God in charge of the Falklands:  You've got a long hard slog ahead, son.  You realize, I hope, that 99% of the world's top pongers are attacking players who with spring sponge and boosters eat defenders for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  But you seem to me to be a nice young chap.  I'll get in contact with some of the other Pong Gods and we'll see if somewhere on earth there is a coach who can coach defense who could really help you.

(ten minutes later)  Pong God in charge of the Falklands:  Tough luck, young man.  Pong is not what it used to be.  Neither I nor any other Pong God could get in touch with anybody who could help you.  Nobody teaches defense anymore.  No money in it.  Why teach a losing style that is kinda attractive to spectators when you can make beaucoup bucks per hour showing hopeful young kinder how to serve not quite fairly and after that how to continue to whap the ball with all your might at an opponent who is going to whap it right back at you with all his might until, sooner or later (usually sooner), the point ends, and the crowd, such as there are, goes bonkers.  

Have you ever considered curling or cribbage?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 12:49am
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

I feel partially this is the fault of modern coaching, we have a few top 50 defenders but we all want JSH. The others rarely seem comfertable hitting a bh topspin and almost never a forehand chop. How come it is that JSH just beat boll the world numer 4/5 somthing good at 37 but no one 20-30 can trouble him regularly who is a defender

the best chopper is now the chinese MA te this guy made jsh look like 50 year old amateur .Ma te mixes shots with sidespin like hou yinhchao.an italian journalist called bozza said 10 years ago that long pips defenders are gonna fade
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 12:11pm
Decline of the Chopping Style.
With the new plstic balls choppers cant generate as much backspin as they did before.   Most choppers will drop out of the sport, to the public dissatisfaction.

Originally posted by a poster on Youtube a poster on Youtube wrote:

eexster (1 hour ago)
Right after this match, Wu Yang posted on her Weibo (the most
popular social media they use in China) saying that she wants to quit playing the chopping style. I guess the change in the ball really does have a tremendous impact on choppers; it's much slower and spins a lot less than it used to. That could be the only reason why Wu Yang's been losing to so many players in the past few months (Partyka Natalia, Liu Jia and now, Ishikawa Kasumi).
Before the ball change, Wu Yang was pretty much indomitable.

Edited by igorponger - 11/14/2017 at 12:56am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 12:40pm
And yet JSH very recently beat Timo Boll.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 10:42pm

And yet JSH very recently beat Timo Boll.

Timo Boll is quite a remarkable player.  At age 37, the ITTF.com website lists him as number four in the world as of November 2017.  Obviously Joo Se Hyuk is also a pretty remarkable player.  I could not find any world ranking for him on the ITTF.com website for November 2017, but defeating the number four player in the world at about the same age is no mean feat.

However, that victory in and of itself does not signal a storming of the offensive bastille by defensive players.  Until and unless defensive rubbers can be designed that are every bit as effective for defensive play as offensive rubbers are for offensive play, defensive players, no matter how good their forehand loops might be or fh/bh chops might be, are always gonna end up playing second fiddle.

Their only satisfaction might come from the little kids who look on in wonder as the hardest shots come somehow back and back and back (though not as often as in times past) and the spectators in general get a respite from the usual blam-blam oh bleep that too often characterizes the modern game between two blam-blamers.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 10:58pm
I still think it is a coaching issue and not an equipment issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic