FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Ishikawa & Hirano Banned from CTTSL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2017 at 12:14pm
Yes NL, I could see someone concluding that on the basis of a consideration purely based on trying to win Olympic medals, but I have independent reasons for personally coming to the conclusion what the people running GSA at the moment are not acting on the basis of rational considerations.
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yes NL, I could see someone concluding that on the basis of a consideration purely based on trying to win Olympic medals, but I have independent reasons for personally coming to the conclusion what the people running GSA at the moment are not acting on the basis of rational considerations.
Seems reasonable to me for reasons below:
1. they have stronger players then those
2. the Japanese are getting good enough to threaten the Chinese players. Foreign players were known to participate not for money but for exposure and training purposes.
3. they are doing well financially and no need to get them as attractions
Chinese table tennis has been bending their back to ITTF for long time with rules designed against them for many years, maybe they had enough.

Edited by The Observer - 10/12/2017 at 12:37pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 10:18am
All valid reasons except No. 3 for the near term. Unless by "doing well financially" you mean getting money poured onto them by the government. The Chinese is losing interest in TT and the sport can't feed itself. With interesting players from other countries they get to make a little money themselves, and the government will pour a little less. In the long run that's good for the sport, and they get to study foreign players in their league as well - no more surprises in big tournaments.

Now they lose all those benefits for what? Chance for gold medal going up from 98% to 99%? Haven't they won enough in Olympics and WTTC's?

Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

Seems reasonable to me for reasons below:
1. they have stronger players then those
2. the Japanese are getting good enough to threaten the Chinese players. Foreign players were known to participate not for money but for exposure and training purposes.
3. they are doing well financially and no need to get them as attractions
Chinese table tennis has been bending their back to ITTF for long time with rules designed against them for many years, maybe they had enough.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

All valid reasons except No. 3 for the near term. Unless by "doing well financially" you mean getting money poured onto them by the government. The Chinese is losing interest in TT and the sport can't feed itself. 
The money is from the government, both national and local. And they want to see their return. All the provinces invest a lot of money to produce players, the best in the world. It is only fair to see them get a chance to play. We see that with all the players coming to German open, I personally like it. Let them compete and not chosen by LGL. Chinese will never lose their interests in table tennis, like Americans with football and baseball, nobody else even plays American football LOL. 

I don't think banning all of them is the right way, if they are better than local players they should consider let them play (Joo is still in there). But it seems they are done with promoting the sport this way, which is no big deal to me, it is not like the foreigners are winning any significant matches. We might lose opportunity in seeing some interesting matches, but if China is sending more players out we will be able to see them in the tours. 

Also the super league pays a ton, if you are not good enough, why should you get paid so?

Edited by The Observer - 10/13/2017 at 11:20am
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 11:27am
"Chinese table tennis has been bending their back to ITTF for long time with rules designed against them for many years, maybe they had enough."

LOLLOLLOL

What would the internet be without baseless speculation and pattern seeking behavior....https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/patternicity-finding-meaningful-patterns/

"rules designed against them"....please explain how? rules apply to everyone not just to the Chinese players, so this claim sounds bizarre!

FdT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"rules designed against them"....please explain how? rules apply to everyone not just to the Chinese players, so this claim sounds bizarre!FdT
Clearly lack of understanding of TT history. LGL and his pips, quota for WTTC and Olympics, and many others. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 11:52am
"Clearly lack of understanding of TT history." Ad hominem, does not explain anything.....

"LGL and his pips, quota for WTTC and Olympics, and many others. "

what rules? what about LGL and his pips? wasnt he using short pips? those are legal as far as I know....

FdT
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 12:09pm

"Clearly lack of understanding of TT history." Ad hominem, does not explain anything.....

"LGL and his pips, quota for WTTC and Olympics, and many others. "

what rules? what about LGL and his pips? wasnt he using short pips? those are legal as far as I know....

FdT

Banning Spin Pips and then hidden serves effectively ended his career. I don't think they had any true justification for banning his rubber (and the numerous other rubbers that got caught up in it as well). But the ITTF has 100% targeted the Chinese in an effort to reduce their dominance, but unfortunately for them it never seems to work.  
Stiga Clipper CR WRB
Yasaka Mark V
Yasaka Mark V

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

"rules designed against them"....please explain how? rules apply to everyone not just to the Chinese players, so this claim sounds bizarre!FdT
Clearly lack of understanding of TT history. LGL and his pips, quota for WTTC and Olympics, and many others. 

This is true I think, especially about the quotas.  Also, some people think the rule against hiding serves was specifically directed against LGL.  My memory is fuzzy about the pips but I recall that a particular type of SP was made illegal around his time but I can't remember why or if they were the ones he used.  Some sort of spin pips.

edit.  I see Lixiao remembers this the same way I do.

With all that said, I still think this is a really dumb decision by GSA or CTTA or whoever made it.  I really makes them look small.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 12:25pm
every body was using hidden serves not just LGL. Waldner, Gatien, Saive, etc etc...

Don't know about these so called spin pips. Never heard of them. I had heard the ITTF banned frictionles long pips.

"But the ITTF has 100% targeted the Chinese in an effort to reduce their dominance, but unfortunately for them it never seems to work.  "

Sorry , I still don't see how. Are there more examples? PPL have argued the change from 21 to 11 point system was also targeted at the chinese. But this does not make sense really.

FdT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 2:30pm

every body was using hidden serves not just LGL. Waldner, Gatien, Saive, etc etc...

Don't know about these so called spin pips. Never heard of them. I had heard the ITTF banned frictionles long pips.

"But the ITTF has 100% targeted the Chinese in an effort to reduce their dominance, but unfortunately for them it never seems to work.  "

Sorry , I still don't see how. Are there more examples? PPL have argued the change from 21 to 11 point system was also targeted at the chinese. But this does not make sense really.

FdT

Of course.  But LGL was third-ball destroying people like crazy.  Anyway, it is a "some people say" sort of thing.  Everybody was hiding serves then.  So I am not entirely sure that the rule was directed specifically at LGL, although it is a claim you will read here and there, including from that time.

As for limiting the number of players from any one country at big events, that is obviously directed at China.

Edit:  Googling to refresh my memory, there were several types of ultra-spinny short pips banned by ITTF in late 2000, including the ones used by LGL.  He and Johnny Huang were at the time the only players in the top echelons of the sport who used them.  People remember the ban on frictionless LP but they have forgotten about this.  In 2005 they considered banning even more SPs but in the end did not do it.

There is a long thread about this at OOAK from about 2008 (interestingly with contributions from some of the same people commenting on this thread).  Read it if you have the stomach for it.  Fair warning, the thread is one where Asham Sharara "answers your questions":

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5357&start=840

The ban affected TSP Spin Pips, used by world champion Liu Guoliang and Canadian champion Johnny Huang.  Adham Sharara at one point tried to claim that the manufacturer allowed the approval of the rubbers to lapse, but in fact this was a lie and was an intentional decision by ITTF.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 5:52pm

"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">But the ITTF has 100% targeted the Chinese in an effort to reduce their dominance, but unfortunately for them it never seems to work.  "</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Sorry , I still don't see how. Are there more examples? PPL have argued the change from 21 to 11 point system was also targeted at the chinese. But this does not make sense really.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">FdT</span>

Of course.  But LGL was third-ball destroying people like crazy.  Anyway, it is a "some people say" sort of thing.  Everybody was hiding serves then.  So I am not entirely sure that the rule was directed specifically at LGL, although it is a claim you will read here and there, including from that time.

As for limiting the number of players from any one country at big events, that is obviously directed at China.

Edit:  Googling to refresh my memory, there were several types of ultra-spinny short pips banned by ITTF in late 2000, including the ones used by LGL.  He and Johnny Huang were at the time the only players in the top echelons of the sport who used them.  People remember the ban on frictionless LP but they have forgotten about this.  In 2005 they considered banning even more SPs but in the end did not do it.

There is a long thread about this at OOAK from about 2008 (interestingly with contributions from some of the same people commenting on this thread).  Read it if you have the stomach for it.  Fair warning, the thread is one where Asham Sharara "answers your questions":

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5357&start=840

The ban affected TSP
Spin Pips, used by world champion Liu Guoliang and Canadian champion
Johnny Huang.  Adham Sharara at one point tried to claim that the manufacturer allowed the approval of the rubbers to lapse, but in fact this was a lie and was an intentional decision by ITTF.

banning the rubber that was used by the world champion .so obvious
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 6:06pm

FdT

So then why did they ban the hidden serve when Liu Guoliang just happened to become world champion? Why not ban them when Waldner was no.1? Even though other players used hidden serves, no one's game was as built around their serve as Liu's. 

As for the pips ban, the ITTF decided on some arbitrary rules about the width between pips and the ratio between the height and width of pips as a pre-text for the ban. This was originally meant to affect only long pips, but it actually ended up leading to the ban of numerous short pips as well. I don't think we have a lot of information from then, but I do have an article from 1997 where Table Tennis World interviewed an ITTF referee about it. I'll have to get one of our resident Japanese speakers to translate it.

Reducing the number of entrants in events like Olympics is a clear example of this and I'm not sure how anyone could deny it.
Stiga Clipper CR WRB
Yasaka Mark V
Yasaka Mark V

shinimai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinimai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 9:29pm
By the way, is there a thread where we can discuss the T league? The proposed Japanese one
Change my username please!!
Blade: Palio ENERGY 03
BH: YASAKA NEW ERA/ Butterfly Sriver EL
FH: Hurricane 3 / Yinhe Mercury
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 11:02pm
You can start one.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">But the ITTF has 100% targeted the Chinese in an effort to reduce their dominance, but unfortunately for them it never seems to work.  "</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Sorry , I still don't see how. Are there more examples? PPL have argued the change from 21 to 11 point system was also targeted at the chinese. But this does not make sense really.</span>
</span>

So then why did they ban the hidden serve when Liu Guoliang just happened to become world champion? Why not ban them when Waldner was no.1? Even though other players used hidden serves, no one's game was as built around their serve as Liu's. 

As for the pips ban, the ITTF decided on some arbitrary rules about the width between pips and the ratio between the height and width of pips as a pre-text for the ban. This was originally meant to affect only long pips, but it actually ended up leading to the ban of numerous short pips as well. I don't think we have a lot of information from then, but I do have an article from 1997 where Table Tennis World interviewed an ITTF referee about it. I'll have to get one of our resident Japanese speakers to translate it.

Reducing the number of entrants in events like Olympics is a clear example of this and I'm not sure how anyone could deny it.

its strange that a short pip is banned, its like saying that you can be world champion using an ilegal rubber. spinpips have been used many years and how is suddenly doesnt comply with the requirements.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 12:23am
"So then why did they ban the hidden serve when Liu Guoliang just happened to become world champion? Why not ban them when Waldner was no.1? Even though other players used hidden serves, no one's game was as built around their serve as Liu's. "

Sorry but just sounds very disingenuous. Every pro player knows the tactical importance of their own serve. Not just LGL. LGL did not invent the third ball attack either. Don't get me wrong, I love LGL, I think he was an amazing player and proved to be an even more important part of the CNT as a coach. Word has it he has a genius level IQ!!

I am still a bit skeptical of the claim that the ITTF has some conspiracy against the CNT. Whatever rules they come up with, it affects every one, not just the chinese. I already debunked the item about the hidden serves. Every one was doing that, not just the chinese.

As for the spin pips, perhaps you're right, I would need more info on this. However, how does this affect two wing loopers like Ma Long? How many players in the CNT are using short pips anymore? Couldn't this trend be the natural course of the game as a whole anyway? No conspiracy is necessary! I think this is where Occam's Razor applies. Anyway, like I said never heard of this thing about this type of short pips getting banned.

Anyway, obviously you have your own opinion, thats cool, but I think you're being somewhat paranoid or something.

FdT
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 12:41am

"So then why did they ban the hidden serve when Liu Guoliang just happened to become world champion? Why not ban them when Waldner was no.1? Even though other players used hidden serves, no one's game was as built around their serve as Liu's. "

Sorry but just sounds very disingenuous. Every pro player knows the tactical importance of their own serve. Not just LGL. LGL did not invent the third ball attack either. Don't get me wrong, I love LGL, I think he was an amazing player and proved to be an even more important part of the CNT as a coach. Word has it he has a genius level IQ!!

I am still a bit skeptical of the claim that the ITTF has some conspiracy against the CNT. Whatever rules they come up with, it affects every one, not just the chinese. I already debunked the item about the hidden serves. Every one was doing that, not just the chinese.

As for the spin pips, perhaps you're right, I would need more info on this. However, how does this affect two wing loopers like Ma Long? How many players in the CNT are using short pips anymore? Couldn't this trend be the natural course of the game as a whole anyway? No conspiracy is necessary! I think this is where Occam's Razor applies. Anyway, like I said never heard of this thing about this type of short pips getting banned.

Anyway, obviously you have your own opinion, thats cool, but I think you're being somewhat paranoid or something.

FdT

LGL was destroying the competition with his hidden serve-and-attack, achieving his "Grand Slam" by winning all world major titles at a record-pace, much faster than Waldner (or anybody before him) ever could AND beating Waldner 5-time straight at his own game (Waldner was widely considered as the best hidden server in the world before LGL). No one ever dominated the top echelon of TT with hidden serves like LGL did. That was when ITTF decided to ban all "hidden serves" (to put a stop on the LGL freight train). Shortly after, his short-pips rubber "TSP SpinPips" was also permanently banned by ITTF for a bogus reason (the rubber's pips size, spacing and geometry no longer allowed).

Edited by roundrobin - 10/14/2017 at 1:24am
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 12:53am
Limiting a country to just two players prevents that country from winning all three medals. What country besides China could that realistically affect at the time they made that change?

But even so, I don't think any of that is why China is banning foreign players in their super league. It reflects trends throughout the current regime.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 1:16am
Yes, the Chinese are concerned about these two Japanese players and do not want them to further improve on Chinese soil. It's extremely pathetic from the point-of-view that since the CTTSL is the highest-level professional league in the world, the "NBA" of table tennis, top foreign players shouldn't be banned for such a near-sighted reason. However, to the Chinese they do not think their CTTSL is equal to the NBA in that sense. Table tennis itself in China has always been a sport supported by the government's massive budget, with the sole goal of bringing fame and medals to the motherland, not money.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 2:46am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Yes, the Chinese are concerned about these two Japanese players and do not want them to further improve on Chinese soil. It's extremely pathetic from the point-of-view that since the CTTSL is the highest-level professional league in the world, the "NBA" of table tennis, top foreign players shouldn't be banned for such a near-sighted reason. However, to the Chinese they do not think their CTTSL is equal to the NBA in that sense. Table tennis itself in China has always been a sport supported by the government's massive budget, with the sole goal of bringing fame and medals to the motherland, not money.
I totally agree: we seem to want to compare the CSTTL to a ping pong elite where talent primes over favors and supply and demand decides like in occidental leagues of all sports but the reality is it is THEIR table tennis pantheon, THEIR table tennis higher league, THEIR table tennis family where they groom THEIR soldiers to conquer all medals. It's national identity over Olympic spirit. I won't judge, it's just business from their perspective, their goal is to dominate and bring as many medals as possible and so they made a good business decision. 
Opening the doors to more foreigners for the sake of the game itself was maybe a  generous idea but it sure was a strategic mistake LGL made and it was his demise: he did not see the strong mechanics at work behind his big picture and in a Darwinian epic scenario, he threw himself out of existence. OOPS! 
rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 10:11am
Pretty sure LGL would NOT have been the one making the decision to allow foreign players into their professional table tennis league. 

Edit added.  I meant to say NOT.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">So then why did they ban the hidden serve when Liu Guoliang just happened to become world champion? Why not ban them when Waldner was no.1? Even though other players used hidden serves, no one's game was as built around their serve as Liu's. "</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Sorry but just sounds very disingenuous. Every pro player knows the tactical importance of their own serve. Not just LGL. LGL did not invent the third ball attack either. Don't get me wrong, I love LGL, I think he was an amazing player and proved to be an even more important part of the CNT as a coach. Word has it he has a genius level IQ!!</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I am still a bit skeptical of the claim that the ITTF has some conspiracy against the CNT. Whatever rules they come up with, it affects every one, not just the chinese. I already debunked the item about the hidden serves. Every one was doing that, not just the chinese.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">As for the spin pips, perhaps you're right, I would need more info on this. However, how does this affect two wing loopers like Ma Long? How many players in the CNT are using short pips anymore? Couldn't this trend be the natural course of the game as a whole anyway? No conspiracy is necessary! I think this is where Occam's Razor applies. Anyway, like I said never heard of this thing about this type of short pips getting banned.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Anyway, obviously you have your own opinion, thats cool, but I think you're being somewhat paranoid or something.</span>
</span>

LGL was destroying the competition with his hidden serve-and-attack, achieving his "Grand Slam" by winning all world major titles at a record-pace, much faster than Waldner (or anybody before him) ever could AND beating Waldner 5-time straight at his own game (Waldner was widely considered as the best hidden server in the world before LGL). No one ever dominated the top echelon of TT with hidden serves like LGL did. That was when ITTF decided to ban all "hidden serves" (to put a stop on the LGL freight train). Shortly after, his short-pips rubber "TSP SpinPips" was also permanently banned by ITTF for a bogus reason (the rubber's pips size, spacing and geometry no longer allowed).

this is was from about.com an ittf official revealed that the durban rule was about to set a criteriq so the aspecta ratio shoulf fit in spinpips spec so they could ban it. when you ban frictionless long pips you can explain why it gived an edge but why the aspect ratio of spinpips was banned. many claimed that was an outbreak that a pkayer could win only with serves like grubba amorettti? and other players.

when the hidden serve was banned the only player winning a lot of serves was LGL and do you think is a coincidence that spinpips was allowed for decade and just when liu was at the top they magically are considered illegal?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 11:49am
The GSA has been doing a lot of things lately in sports other than TT that seem quite consistent with this.  It is pretty xenophobic and not driven by sports considerations entirely.  Bear in mind also that a lof of he people at the top of the GSA don't know much about sports. 

In any case, it works both ways.  The more the CNT players see the Japanese players the more they learn about their game too (which is why they have been annihilating Miu Hariano lately).  And since the Chinese are simply better, familiarity works in their favor I would think.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 11:53am

The GSA has been doing a lot of things lately in sports other than TT that seem quite consistent with this.  It is pretty xenophobic and not driven by sports considerations entirely.  Bear in mind also that a lof of he people at the top of the GSA don't know much about sports. 

In any case, it works both ways.  The more the CNT players see the Japanese players the more they learn about their game too (which is why they have been annihilating Miu Hariano lately).  And since the Chinese are simply better, familiarity works in their favor I would think.

I dont see the ban as a threat I see like chinese are not eager to use their resources to help japanese
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 1:18pm

Pretty sure LGL would NOT have been the one making the decision to allow foreign players into their professional table tennis league. 

Edit added.  I meant to say NOT.
I did not say he did. I am sure of that too. 

He was part of the wave opening the doors to foreigners, like those doubles with Timo; he also argued that too much domination could kill the game and THAT was the strategic mistake.
rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2017 at 1:36pm
I see. Yes. That would not go over well these days.  (GSA would not like it that LGL said that).
darucla View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2017 at 11:15am
In England we have had an influx of players from all around the world into the Premier League of Football.  While this has been very good for the teams, and we have had a lot of success in European competitions as a result, many people claim that the national game has suffered as a result. I.E. there are not enough youngsters being brought on in the game, so that the English National Team is starved of talent.  Personally, I find football to be a very boring game, largely played by brutish, boring people, but that's by-the-by.  As it was an EU ruling that forced the Football League to relax its 2-year residency requirement for foreign players, it will be interesting to see if this changes post-Brexit (sighs).

Just a reminder that it is not only in China that nationalism seems to be rearing its ugly head lately.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic