Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Sealing a JPen's cork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing a JPen's cork
    Posted: 10/05/2017 at 5:37am
Hey guys, 

I was wondering if someone can give me an advice for sealing my JPen's cork (and the whole blade)? Due to heavy palm sweating, my blade (cork and wood) gets soaked every time which leads to a very dark color. Can someone give me a hint as to which product is recommended?

Cheers,
Mischa

Cheers,
Mischa

My YouTube Channel     
---
RSM G-MAX | Cypress G-MAX | Speed 90 | Hibi-O Tour
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2017 at 11:26am
For me the best is Minwax Polyurethane, satin finish. I used to lightly seal the fore hand side, and heavier on the rest, that is the back hand side, all cork sheet and handle and lastly periphery (the thickness of the blade). I did this on all my J-pen to avoid the dark marks from the fingers.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Roots 5, Acuda P2 max.

mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 6:26am
Hi aeoliah, 

thanks for your reply. 

Do you refer to this product (there is also an 'oil-modified' version)? As far as I understand you use the finish for the whole blade, not only the wood but also the cork parts? May I ask how many layers do you prefer for both, the wood and the cork?

Cheers,
Mischa

Edited by mischasln - 10/06/2017 at 6:30am
Cheers,
Mischa

My YouTube Channel     
---
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:52am
Hi,
Yes that is the one, I was using the oil based one. However It is no longer available here and Amazon cannot ship it to my country for reasons unknown. So I am now using Ronseal Polyurethane Satin Varnish,
My rule of thumb is to seal the blade face only once or twice, and the rest of the blades including cork parts until they are shiny.
Roots 5, Acuda P2 max.

mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2017 at 9:04am
Thanks for your detailed explanation. Do I have to pay attention to something special before applying a finish on a new/used JPen blade and, furthermore,  when gluing a rubber on a sealed JPen?

Edited by mischasln - 10/12/2017 at 9:11am
Cheers,
Mischa

My YouTube Channel     
---
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2017 at 10:31pm
If you are sealing a used blade, then you might want to clean it first with a very fine sandpaper and using a flat object when doing it on the blade face.
Seal only lightly on the blade face with which you are hitting, so you do this on both sides if you do RPB.
Sealing it lightly will not be a problem for  glueing the rubber (it might create problem if you seal it heavily).
I sealed rather heavily on the cork parts and I have no issue on my grip during play.
Roots 5, Acuda P2 max.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic