FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Has anyone switched to Rozena?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone switched to Rozena?
    Posted: 10/18/2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

I'm wanting to give an update to my previous post.  

I played Wednesday (which is always a better (and longer) training session than Monday and the rubber for the short game felt completely better.  Meaning, I either adjusted to the rubber or it "broke in" properly.

My satisfaction is now much higher.  I'm completely comfortable and happy with my Rozena as of Wednesday.  It's a good decision.  

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed you are coming from T05 and T64, which is a very common setup. Can I ask what did you see as the benefits and/or negatives of your new setup? Also, what blade you are using? Thanks!

I will not give any benefits or negatives from the actual switch from my old setup to my new setup.  Because my old rubber was SO worn, I'm sure it didn't play like it was supposed to at all.  So my input here would probably be wrong or misleading.  

I'm using the Timo Boll ALC.  

Actually, I'll offer some insight, remembering back to when I bought my last Tenergy setup.  They play very similar to Rozena.  Rozena seems like it's a bit softer, slower, less spinny.  But only a little bitThe truth is, out of the hundreds of offensive rubbers available, they mostly all play the same.  So I  don't even care too much. lol
Sponsored Links

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 10:22am
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Had anyone figured out the proper technique for using Rozena on the FH and getting enough spin to open up without boosting? Does the harder top sheet require a more flexible blade? Just wondering what Butterfly is thinking? Is it only a BH rubber?
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 6:47am
I use the term sweet spot as a reference. Normally, sweet spot is a function of the blade and you are correct. In this comparison, if I am out of position, FX-P can save the point easier especially if I need to spin the ball back. The overall surface grip is not too strong with Rozena. However, I had just tried to boost Rozena with lamp oil and had one session on a stiff 7-ply wood blade and it plays quite well. So I may give Rozena another go for it. Rasanter R42 definitely requires better technique to play it effectively because you have to engage the sponge all the time to get the benefit of it. That’s why during active blocking and punch block are great. But the top sheet grip is not as good as FX-P. So I am dropping R42 for now.
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 6:00am
Using a new Rozena on backhand of a new Bty Innerforce Layer ALC.S

First few sessions, control was not that good due to newness of both. Had to break in these two - blade and Rozena. Powerful and fast yes, but not as springy as a Tenergy sheet.

After the break in period, control was better. Not as sensitive as Tenergy on returning spinny serves. Touch and short game shots easy to control. Counter-hitting gave very good feedback. Definitely has more ooomph than Tenergy FX rubbers.  For my backhand loops, this rubber was above average - due to the great dwell time of this blade. Rozena combined with this blade is excellent for blocking.

I would slot Rozena in between regular Tenergy and Tenergy FX rubbers.
Cheaper price than Tenergy, but doesn't have the glamour of Tenergy.

Ask me to choose between ESN rubbers and Rozena. I'll take ESN, not because a little cheaper in price, but gives me more options.

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 4:45pm
I’m playing with Rozena on my bh, OSP V+ played with it for about ~3-4 months now. (I love the sound it makes on a hard block )
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2017 at 3:24pm
Have switched back to Rozena from T80 on my Carbonado's backhand. Liking it so far. Seems like a technique adjustment has done me some good. Seems livelier than the first one I got which doesn't make sense for a Butterfly product but whatever lol.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 10:24am

I played Wednesday (which is always a better (and longer) training session than Monday and the rubber for the short game felt completely better.  Meaning, I either adjusted to the rubber or it "broke in" properly.

My satisfaction is now much higher.  I'm completely comfortable and happy with my Rozena as of Wednesday.  It's a good decision.  

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed you are coming from T05 and T64, which is a very common setup. Can I ask what did you see as the benefits and/or negatives of your new setup? Also, what blade you are using? Thanks!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Going with TBS and Rozena on FH

It will be interesting to hear how this combination works.

Edited by richrf - 10/16/2017 at 10:12am
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 9:31am

100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 9:30am
Going with TBS and Rozena on FH
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

I think I am going to try Rozena !

Let me know how it goes. What blade are you going to put it on?
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2017 at 8:07am
I think I am going to try Rozena !
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2017 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Most players want something harder for their fh, and i guess t05 and mxp kinda make people not wanna experiment too much on the fh. They are so good, why change

For pros certainly, it simply is nowhere near hard enough on the fh.

Im interested in using it on the bh, although im using a 46 or 47 degree omega 5 toir atm.

It is interesting that at least one high reasoning pro Chinese woman found it good enough for the backhand.

I was hoping to find a tamer version of Tenergy for the FH but still one with adequate grip and speed. I don't think Rozena will get me there. Seems like more of an upgrade for Sriver it Mark V than a tamed Tenergy.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2017 at 12:06pm
Most players want something harder for their fh, and i guess t05 and mxp kinda make people not wanna experiment too much on the fh. They are so good, why change

For pros certainly, it simply is nowhere near hard enough on the fh.

Im interested in using it on the bh, although im using a 46 or 47 degree omega 5 toir atm.

Edited by Basquests - 10/15/2017 at 12:06pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2017 at 10:38am
I'm still waiting to try out some Rozena. In the meantime, the Calibra LT keeps working on. If anyone had any updates, I'd appreciate it. Also, I can't find anyone using it on the forehand, though I did notice a women pro using it on the backhand. Seems like as a FH rubber it doesn't have the spin and speed.

Edited by richrf - 10/15/2017 at 10:39am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 10:05am
Thanks.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I got my 2 sheets of Rozena in the mail last week.  I've only had the chance to play with it once.  I'm switching from T-05 backhand and T-64 forehand. 

I played with my new rubber on Saturday.  My first impressions were pretty good.  I first noticed how soft the rubber feels.  I could feel the extra control.  It definitely is just toned down version of Tenergy in all ways.  But it's still fast and spinny enough for me. 

The rubber felt very weird for short game, for some reason.  I don't know if it's something I need to adjust to or the rubber needs to be broken in a bit more.  I wasn't able to push at all with it, aggressively or passively.  Over the table flicks felt weird..  I'll see how it goes when I play again on Wednesday.   

Thanks. Very interesting feedback. I'm wondering whether the blade might be affecting your short game? If course, it may just need breaking in. Can I ask what blade you are using! Thanks!

No problem.  I'm using the Timo Boll ALC
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Tyler45 Tyler45 wrote:

Durability? 140 hours is amazing. I change my rubbers after every 80 (rhythm). I don't think you need to worry if you "only" get 140 hours :)

What I was reading was more along the lines of 3 weeks followed by a rapid deterioration in quality and characteristics though for the most part it was the harder versions. I'm used to a medium hard Calibra LT so I was looking at all of the reviews. I agree, 140 hours is pretty decent but from what I've read, Rozena might do better.

Thanks for the feedback!
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 12:46am
Durability? 140 hours is amazing. I change my rubbers after every 80 (rhythm). I don't think you need to worry if you "only" get 140 hours :)

Having said that I've just glued up 2 rozenas in max because my el-s is really crumbling round the edges after only 30 hours, to the point where it soon won't be legal. I really like el-s but it doesn't seem to be very durable (also quite a bit of wear on the surface fh side and quite heavy even in 2mm). So will try rozena. I really liked t05 in training but in match situations not so much. Hence rozena.

I've been playing the rhythm 425 max both sides for two years and really liked it. I honestly wonder sometimes whether all the plastic ball rubbers are an "emperors new clothes thing" and I'll probably be back on rhythm by xmas
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 9:09pm
Thanks ericd! Really great info. Actually I was looking very closely at R42 and was just about to pull the trigger, but I noticed there were several reviews commenting on the durability. Ditto for Mantra. So I got cold feet. Rozena gets excellent marks for durability still I'm initially going to go b with it.

Thurs. I'm going to look at some blades. The usual suspects are on the list, including Visceria (probably too fast for me), Korbel, Samsonov Force, Waldner Senso, Ovtcharov True and maybe Arctic Wood. Hopefully one feels good but if anyone has any other ideas that they would like to share, I'd appreciate it.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:51pm
I can give my thoughts on Rozena. I've used it for about 7 weeks in total. I play about 2 to 3 hours 6 days a week. I also usually train with a coach about twice a week. I've been been using Rozena (max) on the backhand side for about the last month or so. Rozena takes a long time to break in, 15+ hours.

Previously, I'd been using R42 for about 3 months. Before R42, I had used Rasant Grip for about 2 years. I tried to switch to Rozena before, but after trying it for about 3 weeks I decided that R42 was better at that time. The only reason that I came back to Rozena is because after about 3 months of daily play, R42 has started to significantly lose spin. After 3 months, R42 also had become extremely soft. So instead of spending money on another R42 I decided to give Rozena another try.

It's a pretty good rubber and the spin and the topsheet grip actually seem to increase over the first month of use. Rozena is not bouncy. Its not a spin monster, but you can spin pretty well on loops and loop drives. I enjoy serving with Rozena. When I first got it, it seemed to have a lot of problems in humid conditions. I don't seem to be having that problem now. Rozena is less linear that R42, but much more linear than T05, T64, or T25fx. Those are the only Tenergy rubbers that I've tried. Out of the 3 Tenergy I've tried, T25fx was most suitable for me. I hated T05.  I can't compare it to T80, never tried it.

I really can't decide if I prefer R42 or Rozena. R42 is really good from about 0 to 140 playing hours and Rozena isn't really good from 0 to 20 playing hours then it starts to get better. I'm not sure how long Rozena will maintain its current capabilities, as its my first sheet. R42 and Rozena are both really good. I haven't decided what my next sheet would be on the backhand side. I may try r47 or one of the new Aurus rubbers next or I could stick with Rozena or R42.
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:45pm
This is my rubber they are the same size

Edited by jpenmaster - 10/09/2017 at 8:53pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Here you go Rozena 1.9 over T80 2.1

it has smaller pimples 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:04pm
Here you go Rozena 1.9 over T80 2.1

Edited by jpenmaster - 10/09/2017 at 8:06pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Rozena and T80 have the same pip structure so that's why T80 is the closest Tenergy to Rozena. T80 has a harder sponge than Rozena but to me Rozena has a harder top sheet. T05 has more spin than T80 and Rozena and a much higher throw. So if you are switching to Rozena from 05 you will be probably be disappointed. When playing 05 many rely on that arc/spin to get loops to land and you won't get that from Rozena.
Is there proof or pictures that T80 pips is exactly the same as Rozena? Thanks
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

I use rozena in 1,9 mm thickness at both sides. Great rubbers for me. After 9+ years of using tenergies, I didn't find it very hard to change into rozena! They play great, not much spin as tenergies, but a little bit safer shots.

Thanks! Can I ask what blade you are using? I'm trying to decide between an all-wood or ALC. Thanks!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:04pm

I got my 2 sheets of Rozena in the mail last week.  I've only had the chance to play with it once.  I'm switching from T-05 backhand and T-64 forehand. 

I played with my new rubber on Saturday.  My first impressions were pretty good.  I first noticed how soft the rubber feels.  I could feel the extra control.  It definitely is just toned down version of Tenergy in all ways.  But it's still fast and spinny enough for me. 

The rubber felt very weird for short game, for some reason.  I don't know if it's something I need to adjust to or the rubber needs to be broken in a bit more.  I wasn't able to push at all with it, aggressively or passively.  Over the table flicks felt weird..  I'll see how it goes when I play again on Wednesday.   

Thanks. Very interesting feedback. I'm wondering whether the blade might be affecting your short game? If course, it may just need breaking in. Can I ask what blade you are using! Thanks!
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 12:00pm
I use rozena in 1,9 mm thickness at both sides. Great rubbers for me. After 9+ years of using tenergies, I didn't find it very hard to change into rozena! They play great, not much spin as tenergies, but a little bit safer shots.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:38am

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:01am
Thanks everyone for all of the help. Considering that I am mostly in training mode nowadays I thought I'll try out Rozena for its control, linearity, and durability.

One more quick question. Is Butterfly Online US the best prices? Will they assemble? Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic