FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

pips paddle for my mother

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alec View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pips paddle for my mother
    Posted: 10/07/2017 at 11:34am
Hey everyone, hoping to get some help from the equipment experts here.

When I visit my parents house my mom and I hit a little bit for fun. She uses an old short pips spongeless paddle that must have came with the table 20 years ago. She mostly blocks close to the table using a traditional penhold backhand. She's not bad at it as long as i hit it to her. 

I thought it would be interesting to buy her a better paddle that she could experiment with. I'm thinking a shakehand blade with short pips on one side and long pips on the other (i'd also want to mess around with it and do away from the table chopping). 

I'm an double inverted offensive player that doesn't know much about specific pips out rubbers or sponge vs spongeless etc. Looking for something on the cheaper side since it won't get much use and it's just to play around with. Any help is appreciated, thanks. 
Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 10:00am
Donic defplay classic with 802 40 pips and yinhe Neptune long pips on the back hand
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 10:43am
Why would you want to give your mom a shake hand setup, when she’s a penholer player?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 12:23pm
The old school penhold players, play on one-side only.
Just get a short-pips rubber and put it on her FH side.

Don't bother on her BH rubber, she is not going to use her back-hand anyway.

*** If you are going to get her a new blade too, get a penhold blade.  No shake-hand blade. ***

Edited by skip3119 - 10/08/2017 at 12:26pm
skip3119
alec View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

*** If you are going to get her a new blade too, get a penhold blade.  No shake-hand blade. ***

Yes I'm aware they only use one side, my thinking is that she could try both the short pips and long pips to see which one works better for her. 

Also the reasoning for the shakehand blade is that the paddle she uses now is shakehand, and also my brother and I will want to use it and we are both shakehand (we'll end up using it more that her most likely tbh). 

thanks

Edited by alec - 10/08/2017 at 5:51pm
alec View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Donic defplay classic with 802 40 pips and yinhe Neptune long pips on the back hand

thank you for your suggestion
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:58am
Originally posted by alec alec wrote:

Yes I'm aware they only use one side, my thinking is that she could try both the short pips and long pips to see which one works better for her. 

Also the reasoning for the shakehand blade is that the paddle she uses now is shakehand, and also my brother and I will want to use it and we are both shakehand (we'll end up using it more that her most likely tbh). 

thanks

So it’s not a gift for her then. Are you still in school and lack the cash? Common dude, it’s for your mom. Skip gave the best suggestion here. Get her a sp rubber, if you lack the fund.
alec View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Originally posted by alec alec wrote:

thanks

So it’s not a gift for her then. Are you still in school and lack the cash? Common dude, it’s for your mom. Skip gave the best suggestion here. Get her a sp rubber, if you lack the fund.

You are right that it's not only a gift for her. I'm a 1950 player, she plays once a month at most. We are both happy and amazed if she blocks 3 or 4 in a row. This is something we do for fun as we talk about life. She doesn't know penhold blades exist or would even care. I thought it would be interesting to see if with a legitimate paddle she would be able to block more consistently or challenge me more with the wackiness of lp. 

My brother is maybe a 1000 player but has pretty good strokes. He also only plays when I visit them. He has a double inverted paddle but occasionally he'll pick up the dinky hardbat paddle from 20 years ago and try to chop block me. Or he'll want to learn how to loop underspin so i'll do my best to chop to him.

i guess i was better off asking for a beginner pips setup that could be used as a way to experiment with defensive play. 

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 9:03pm
I could build you something nice but cheap from odd parts
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2017 at 7:05am
if you glue two sided, it is probably too heavy for an old lady
with pen as wrist will be tired easily after a while. Even long
pips only adds about 25 g weight (0.5-0.7 mm), it is still
significantly heavy for pen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic