Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Topic ClosedSports Clarification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sports Clarification
    Posted: 10/07/2017 at 8:46pm
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.  Tonight we are going to discuss one of the most misunderstood of sports, the sport of table tennis, and joining us are a world class professional table tennis player, an umpire certified by the governing body of the sport, the International Table Tennis Federation, and a moderator of one of the Internet's best known table tennis forums.  We'll begin our discussion by talking with a world class table tennis professional.

Sports Clarification Interviewer:  Among some who follow table tennis today, there is a belief, some claim substantiated, that world class players such as yourself play fast and loose with the rules of the sport.  Let's talk about a practice called boosting a table tennis rubber by adding oils to it called boosters, which some claim can enable a player to hit a faster and spinnier shot.  Would you care to comment on that?

World Class Pro:  I don't boost my rubber.  My coach told me that that was illegal.  I've always made it a point to play by the rules.

Sports Clarification Interviewer:  Have you ever at any time used a boosting oil to increase the speed and spin of the rubbers you've used?

World Class Pro:  No comment.

Sports Clarification Interviewer:  Now let's move on to the subject of how to serve legally.  Again there are people familiar with modern table tennis practices who claim that players such as yourself break the service rules by not removing your non-serving arm so that your opponent can see when you contact the ball or you hide contact from your opponent by using various parts of your anatomy.  Have you anything to say about this?

World Class Pro:  I have never served illegally in my life.  No umpire has ever called a serve of mine illegal.

Sports Clarification Interviewer:  Hmm.  Interesting.  Now let's call on an internationally certified umpire who may possibly shed light on this serving question.  Mr. umpire, have you ever called a world class pro's serve illegal?

Certified Ump:  I see nothing.  I try to stay awake during a match.  Is very difficult.

Sports Clarification Interviewer:  All right.  I guess it's time to bring in a moderator of one of the finer table tennis Internet forums.  What have you, sir, to say about the state of table tennis as presently played?

Mod:  The sport is just fine as it is.  Anyone who claims otherwise is a wuss who'd be better off practicing his technique instead of whinging all the time.  Harden up, like Lance Armstrong.

Sports Clarification Interviewer:  There you have it.  This concludes tonight's edition of Sports Clarification.  Next week we are going to be discussing unsavory practices in pick-up sticks.  Stay tuned.

Edited by berndt_mann - 10/07/2017 at 11:21pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2017 at 11:06pm
Berndt,

You are in trouble now.  TT forum members can be a prickly bunch.  But they are adorable fluffy bunnies compared to those pick-up-sticks guys (and gals).  They will seek you out and try to turn you into a pick-up-stick pin cushion for even the slightest perceived insult.  Take care my friend.

Mark - Who in his younger days was known as Jackstraw Jack, the terror with the two hand drop.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 2:17am
Dear Berndt,

As an assiduous follower of the rules - no illegal serving, no boosting for you - I'm pretty sure you're familiar with this: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21109&title=please-read-forum-rules .  Surprisingly, the rules - to which you always adhere - say nothing about Trolling.  According to The Urban Dictionary, trolling is "Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can."  [Emphasis mine.]

While the rules don't say anything specifically about trolling, they do point to flaming and hijacking of threads.  You would never be so uncouth as to be guilty of "directing abusive and insulting messages to another forum user"; however, starting a thread like this, which appears to be directly aimed at Baal, isn't so very different.  It's hardly going to win you any friends, is it?  It's trolling, designed to do nothing more than start a fight.

I think it's time for you to consider your options. 
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:37am
Dude you're getting super annoying. When did you even join the forum? I didn't see this kind of spam here before you're name popped up lately. And what are you trying to achieve here? Don't you have anything better to do with your time? If you really want to change the sport then you shouldn't try to talk to other forum members about it. Go and complain directly to the ittf but stop making pointless posts over here. You could also use all that time to gather people and start an own league where people use the equipment that you like and where they play by rules that you choose.
Simon_plays View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:59am
I think questioning the validity of Mr Mann's post on account of his lack of seniority might not be the most potent argument.

And if he wants to change the sport, surely people on a table tennis forum are exactly the sort of people you should talk to about this.

I don't understand why everyone gets so annoyed by Berndt's post, in my opinion they add something reasonably interesting to the forum and makes a welcome change from the usual 'backhand rubber for a beginner who likes to look, block and make mohitos from his backhand' threads.

Sure, at times he repeats himself, but who doesn't?
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I think questioning the validity of Mr Mann's post on account of his lack of seniority might not be the most potent argument.

And if he wants to change the sport, surely people on a table tennis forum are exactly the sort of people you should talk to about this.

I don't understand why everyone gets so annoyed by Berndt's post, in my opinion they add something reasonably interesting to the forum and makes a welcome change from the usual 'backhand rubber for a beginner who likes to look, block and make mohitos from his backhand' threads.

I'm with you Simon.  Berndt's posts aren't nearly as boring as some of the EJ posts.  It's all part of the forum package. 
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 12:44pm
I think Berndt's posts are best consumed with large quantities of Olde Bastard Ale or as inspiration just before performing a difficult aria.  If you are not in one of those situations maybe you should skip reading them until you can get into the proper frame of mind.

Mark -Who does not drink alcohol and who can not carry a tune with a bucket but still reads Berndt's posts.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 7:32pm
Well I think it's a joyous thing that folk appreciate Berndt's contributions.  Once upon a time I was in that club myself.  But that was back when it was fresh and new and in marked contrast to the mind-numbing debates about the comparative qualities of H3 Neo vs H3 National vs H3 Commercial vs H3 boosted with baby oil vs H3 Provincial boosted with the saliva of an immature Amazonian tree frog, all when playing a Chinese loop rather a European one..

And I can't really complain about the length of Berndt's posts given that mine are often as long and boring.  Equally, many of the things Berndt harps on about also drive me nuts.  I too hate people who knowingly cheat; limp handshakes leave me cold; Victor Barna was a true giant of the game.

But we've now had two and a half years of the same old same old.  It's a never ending sob story of how the game is ruined and basically we need to make table tennis great again.  Berndt's constant complaints trump any suggestion that some people actually enjoy modern table tennis.  And it's getting personal.

This thread was begun with the sole intent of provoking Baal.  This isn't about Sports Clarification; it's about mocking someone who defends the sport.  The only thing Berndt is interested in is provoking the mods.  He is desperate to see how far he can push it, until he's banned and then he can luxuriate in self-righteous indignation.

fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I'm with you Simon.  Berndt's posts aren't nearly as boring as some of the EJ posts.  It's all part of the forum package. 
I agree too; can we bring back pnachtwey then? and agenthex? they were banned without having broken any rules; the mods said at the time "yes but it's a sum of little things". I quit as a mod and an admin over this, I was so disgusted.

Edited by fatt - 10/08/2017 at 7:56pm
rl gear
( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)
my feedback
shaun729 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 8:05pm
If you look to the left of a post you will see the author, if you don't like berndt_mann post's then don't read them. 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 9:24pm
I don't mind berndt_mann's posts most of the time, in fact I really appreciate most of them as they quite insightful and offer a views from his long table tennis career that most of us cannot.

However some of his posts are clearly written to provoke an individual, which I think is inappropriate. Just read the response above, and see how it's dividing people. This is clearly not healthy for our forum and will just turn people against each other.

Thread locked.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic