Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lp on the bh has ruined my fh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lp on the bh has ruined my fh
    Posted: 10/08/2017 at 5:42pm
I have just switched to lp on my bh, same blade same fh rubber, but the loss of about 25-28g in weight on the blade has made my fh looper lower, my block is weaker and when I block a diagnol fh down the line it is just drifting a touch wider and often missing the table.
how the hell can I get 25g of weight onto the face of my blade?
there must be a solution

lp are palio ck531a and I can hit with them with 0.6mm sponge, basically attacking with them as if they were sp.
amazing ill post some video soon!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 6:18pm
how about adding some tennis lead tape?? ...ok seriously though you don't need to do that, just play for a few sessions and you will get used to the lighter racket.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 6:22pm
Generally, you will likely get used to it.  However, I have also seen people switch to blades with a larger area when they go to pips.  That helps offset the weight decrease a bit.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2017 at 10:10pm
I have 35 grams around the side of my racket to make it heavier. You could try something like that, or try to get used to it. Also, added weight will affect how your LP's play, so be careful.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 3:22am
how did you get the extra weight Meow?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 6:35am
I used a very dense rubber, called Sorbothane. I found a roll of it an eighth inch thick on amazon. 

It's original purpose was to serve as bulletproof edge tape, and it added weight in the process. I have a 1.4 cm wide strip on my racket, which adds about 35 grams (my racket has a very small head). Your racket is much thinner than mine and probably has a larger head, so you would need a longer but less wide of a strip. 

Unfortunately, the sheets with adhesive are only 12" long. I had to buy a roll and cut out the right piece, and use carpet tape as the adhesive (with edge tape underneath to protect against residue). The upside is that one piece pretty much lasts forever.

Tape (not this brand, but the same thing)

I can upload pictures if needed.

Edited by Chairman Meow - 10/09/2017 at 6:40am
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 6:52am
yes would you send a few pictures please
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 8:50am
Not just the weight difference. For lp, you need a solid blade with a stronger core, or you will feel hollow. Infinity is not made for lp. Give Clipper CR a try.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 10:59am
yes I get that, but I am hitting so well with the lp, I might have to stick to the infinity. be more likely to go for samsanov force pro
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 3:02pm
Years ago I played with SP on my BH.  At the time I made that switch, and later, when I switched back to inverted on both sides, the weight issue was a huge problem.  The only thing that made the problem go away was time.  You will get used to it in the fullness of time.  In my case, it was a year in each direction.  Funny thing is now I like very heavy setups overall. 

A switch like the one your are making is enormous.  It affects every single aspect of the way you play.  Tactics are different, where you stand is different, feel of the blade on both sides is different (and it is not just weigh, although that is a big part of it0.  Everything.  You are now playing your BH in a very different way.  So the balls you will get coming back to your FH will be markedly different and you are going to have to relearn some pretty basic stuff (or at least get used to doing the basic stuff on balls that not doing quite what you are used to).

It's just not realistic to expect everything to fall into place in a few weeks, this is going to take you months.  Now you will notice some benefits right away, as well as some challenges right away, but the more you play with a setup this different you will discover more and more benefits and challenges you have not seen yet; and you are just going to have to work through them.

It is part of the fun, though.  It actually took me several years to eventually conclude that what I was giving up with SP on my BH was more than I was getting back in return.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 3:28pm
Here are pictures. I don't have any of the carpet tape left, so I used duct tape for demonstration.

First put edge tape on your racket, and make sure all the wood is covered. Then cut a piece of rubber to the desired size. Lay it on the sticky side of some carpet tape, and cut around it. Peel off the paper protector on the other side of the tape to expose the other sticky side, then attach to your racket.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 4:30pm
Baal, I have played with lp, sp .5mm super defence. recently I have got used to the weight of h3 neo both sides, it feels really unbalanced now and I don't think h3neo will work, it feels less spinny and not as powerful. I will probably go back to tenergy 05fx but in 1.9mm or 1.7mm.
I think it is balance as much as weight tbh.
I am hitting amazingly well with the lp which does not make sense really, I don't know anyone else locally who can hit with lp as much as I do.
it really negates the affect on me from dodgy illegal serves and good legal serves, it turns my biggest weakness into something else, maybe not a strength but not a terrible weakness

it is also good fun to try something else for a while
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2017 at 6:23pm
Try to find video of Deng Yaping.  She destroyed people by hitting with an LP or at least MP backhand.  People I know who play that way often find that they have to change the LP a lot because they are breaking off the pips.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2017 at 8:15am
trying the "der echte beast mod" from another forum to see if that helps.
put the rubbers back on my donic wsc and added approx. 25g of weight to the handle in the senso bit.
got a match tonight so lets see what happens.
its back upto 186grammes

Edited by mog1111 - 10/11/2017 at 8:16am
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 4:40am
so I have switched on the advice of a very good player to 1.7mm (tenergy), apparently I am a blocker and hitter (I thought I was a two winged looper)
a lot more control and blade feels more bablanced, so far so good had some good results since switch.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 4:02pm
Making such a radical switch means the characteristics of your set up have changed significantly and will take time to adjust, also playing with LP's will have altered the tempo of your rallies, so your timing will be out for a while. 6 months at least before you feel comfortable, and that is if you play a moderate amount. Every time you make a radical change to your equipment, your brain loses an element of 'trust' or certainty in your play, so you will tend to wait a fraction after playing a stroke, you are in essence, watching the ball to see if the shot is good, rather than trusting that it is, so you lose a fraction of time in the rally, human nature I'm afraid and it will only sort out when you start to believe in your shots.
The Older I get, The better I was.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Making such a radical switch means the characteristics of your set up have changed significantly and will take time to adjust, also playing with LP's will have altered the tempo of your rallies, so your timing will be out for a while. 6 months at least before you feel comfortable, and that is if you play a moderate amount. Every time you make a radical change to your equipment, your brain loses an element of 'trust' or certainty in your play, so you will tend to wait a fraction after playing a stroke, you are in essence, watching the ball to see if the shot is good, rather than trusting that it is, so you lose a fraction of time in the rally, human nature I'm afraid and it will only sort out when you start to believe in your shots.

That's an interesting way to think about it - never occurred to me before.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 5:12pm
I have just switched to 1.7mm tenergy 05fx on the advice of a goos player. I am already benefitiing from a more balance blade
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 2:51am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

That's an interesting way to think about it - never occurred to me before.

Just don't confuse the trust and certainty you have in your blade and equipment with that of a 2400 player who has practiced with his blade for years.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic