Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Estimate my Rating! Plus Advice Welcome!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 11:21am
Thanks guys. Recently I've been spending more time doing BHs than FHs during practice, and it's the reason why my backhand has actually improved a lot compared to a year ago. I've still probably practiced my forehand like 2-3 times more, so that's why my BH is so underdeveloped. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play as much as I used to (like 4-5 times a week over a year ago, compared to 0-2 times a week recently). I'll keep working on being more aggressive with my backhand. Placement is something I definitely need to abuse more of. I actually think I need to go down the line more often. Anyone who knows me knows that I always aim for their backhands/middle.

@pongfugrasshopper Off memory I served a lot of side/side top and side under against player 1. Most my side under serves had a lot more side than under, too. A year ago when I played him, if we got into a pushing rally, I always lost the point. I'd either push it into the net after a few tries or drive it into the net. But I think I'm getting used to heavier spins now. So maybe it isn't too bad!

Maybe in the USA since there are a lot less players, most players are more dedicated and play at a higher level. Player 2 is easily better than 50% of the players here. I'm not sure how that translates though. I definitely won't call him just above beginner. But yeah, it might just be because there are more actual beginners here (especially students and older people). I lost the set against him due to a series of unfortunate events, and me trying different things. It's quite easy for a few things to go wrong and to lose a set t_t Similarly, I've taken sets off player 4 in the past, too. Never 2 sets, though!!

Player 3, yeah I lost strategically too.

Thanks!! I'll definitely keep working on it. I still feel like I'm nowhere near my peak.

Edited by mickd - 10/18/2017 at 11:24am
Sponsored Links

bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Thanks guys. Recently I've been spending more time doing BHs than FHs during practice, and it's the reason why my backhand has actually improved a lot compared to a year ago. I've still probably practiced my forehand like 2-3 times more, so that's why my BH is so underdeveloped. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play as much as I used to (like 4-5 times a week over a year ago, compared to 0-2 times a week recently). I'll keep working on being more aggressive with my backhand. Placement is something I definitely need to abuse more of. I actually think I need to go down the line more often. Anyone who knows me knows that I always aim for their backhands/middle.

@pongfugrasshopper Off memory I served a lot of side/side top and side under against player 1. Most my side under serves had a lot more side than under, too. A year ago when I played him, if we got into a pushing rally, I always lost the point. I'd either push it into the net after a few tries or drive it into the net. But I think I'm getting used to heavier spins now. So maybe it isn't too bad!

Maybe in the USA since there are a lot less players, most players are more dedicated and play at a higher level. Player 2 is easily better than 50% of the players here. I'm not sure how that translates though. I definitely won't call him just above beginner. But yeah, it might just be because there are more actual beginners here (especially students and older people). I lost the set against him due to a series of unfortunate events, and me trying different things. It's quite easy for a few things to go wrong and to lose a set t_t Similarly, I've taken sets off player 4 in the past, too. Never 2 sets, though!!

Player 3, yeah I lost strategically too.

Thanks!! I'll definitely keep working on it. I still feel like I'm nowhere near my peak.

Losing one game to a guy who you were clearly better than, and went on to beat clearly, (Player 2) doesn't mean much.  And that guy is probably 1500 or so. If anyone can still watch the point that started at 00:20 and think that guy is only 1100, I'm shocked. 
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2017 at 10:33am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ScVK0M6hMk
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 7:35am
here is a vid of another young lefty FOR COMPARISON.
he plays actively in sanctioned competitions.

what would you say his rating is? please pardon the language

https://youtu.be/DTmgX_gsqJw

Edited by el luchador - 10/20/2017 at 7:37am
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 10:10am
Hard to say.  He has big shots but no consistency.  Maybe 1700? Maybe better but I can't tell cause no rallies.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 10:54am
Hard to use as a comparison if you don't know his rating!! Unless you're waiting to let us know!

I think I'd give the kid a really good match ;) He reminds me a lot of the high school kids that play table tennis here. Some I can't beat, but most I can. Tho their levels range so much that some would smash me and some I'd win really easily, even if they've all been training for the same amount doing the same things. Generally those high school students are like him in the video, even more "out of control" than me, hehe.

That said, it would be great to see more from him, especially if you know his rating. His consistency was pretty low in that particular video. His opponent didn't particularly do anything in that video. I feel like against that opponent, I would have had a pretty easy time as well, without as many consistency issues. 
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 11:01am
He is a kid I play with. Like many of us leftys, he has a big forehand and a weak backhand (Im a lefty too)

His rating is currently USATT 1320 and he has never been higher than that. this is the kid I had in mind when I said a rating of 1000-1150 because I don't really think the OP can beat this kid. He has a very very spinny ball but he does lack consistency and his backhand typically lets him down.

the opponent he is playing is a REALLY good player. He will beat almost everyone under 1700 at the club. he won that match, and will basically just find the opponents weak point and exploit it. he also is very good at putting the ball back on the table and he plays a very relaxed game. He doesn't play sanctioned competitions so he doesn't have a rating but I don't know of anyone under 1700 that can beat him.

Edited by el luchador - 10/20/2017 at 11:04am
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 11:17am
Thanks for the info. Personally, I do think I can beat the kid (just based on what I saw from that video). I know you think differently, so we might have to agree to disagree here lol. No way to say for sure unless we played!

I think he'll struggle with my serves, and I think I could return those spinny balls. There are a few very spinny players at the clubs I go to and they all struggle with my blocks. I'm pretty good against the slow spinny loops if they don't have lots of side spin. If he's good at following up the attack though, then maybe it'll be tough. The reason is because the spiniest player I know who loves slow spinny loops just happens to be one of my practice partners. He lacks consistency though. A year ago I would have really struggled with them, but I got used to them.

The other opponent though, I couldn't see much from that video, so hard to say. Maybe he is much better. From the points I saw though, he looked lacking.

If you have more videos of any of those 2, it'd be great to see.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 2:10pm
hey there, you looks better than the last time. Especially your FH. I think it's much more consistent now, and has a little more power.
Although you still need to improve it with weight transfer. You still hits with your arm too much. Your arm is not the problem, but actually your legs and body. Try to use them more instead of your arms. Thinking of pushing something up and forward with your whole upper body when hitting the ball.

Are you pleased with your BH push? I don't think it's good enough. It's inconsistent and sometimes it lacks spin. You wait the ball to come to your racket and touch it, and rely on the spin that the opponent gives you. IMO, you need a little back swing before pushing/slicing the ball to have more spin and consistency. It's basically the whip mechanics like other strokes, if you watch the push tutorial videos carefully, you will see, they wait the ball to come, swing the racket back a little and then push forward. With the correct technique, you can push long no spin serve which I think you can't really do consistently at the moment.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2017 at 10:20pm
mickd, I think you're far better than the lefty, not even close.  His serves are too high, and return of serve is weak.  He was playing a very weak player and still didn't look good.  He did have a powerful forehand, but against a tougher opponent he might not get the opportunities to make those shots.
Put the lefty in the ICC club in California and he's under 1000.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 4:37am
Here's a video of me playing with a high school boy (he's in year 10). I haven't played him for over a year, but the last time I played him, I lost 2-3. This time I won 3-0, but it was quite a close match.

Here are some of the more interesting shots from our free play after the match.

Recently I've been overly obsessed with form and various other things, which I think is important if I want to improve, but on that day I set a different goal. I didn't think about anything at all. My goal was to move around A LOT. Just keep moving. I wanted to feel like I actually had a good workout.

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 4:55am
@balldance Sorry!! I didn't notice your post... I'm really bad at pushing no spin. At the moment, I'm returning them with no spin by just opening my racket and pushing forward to match their motion. It works... but it's not ideal. I need to learn to do like an over the table chop on those for a more aggressive return.

Recently I've been paying more attention to getting in quickly and taking the ball right off the bounce if it's a short underspin serve, and that's been working quite well. But I sometimes misread the length and get jammed. So I still need more experience with it.

My BH pushes usually have an okay amount of spin. Probably more than the average player. But you're right about my backswing. I think it's a little too small at the moment...
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 4:34am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Here's a video of me playing with a high school boy (he's in year 10). I haven't played him for over a year, but the last time I played him, I lost 2-3. This time I won 3-0, but it was quite a close match.

Your strokes look so much better than your old videos.  It's great to see you improvement.  Question: is there a reason why this kid only served long and mostly to your forehand?  Even his blocks were to your FH.  It's like he had a death wish.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2017 at 6:10am
Hey, thanks so much Ben. There are a few reasons.

Why does he serve mostly to my forehand? It's because I'm left handed. Most students always end up using what they're most comfortable with, even if it's not the best strategy. They usually play right handers, and most people are weaker on their backhands, so they serve mostly in that area. At the end of every match, I always stress to them the importance of serving to a lefty's backhand and short.

Why does he always serve long? It depends on the student, but most students serve long because it's much easier to get into a rally. The people they usually play against (even stronger than them) are much more passive, and don't consistent attack the long ball like they should. Because they always practice long serves, their opening against a heavy, shorter push is very inconsistent (I generally push with more backspin than their usual partners), so they try once or twice, fail, then fall back to their long serves, trying to rely on spin variation instead, which generally doesn't affect me at the spin levels they are generating if it's to my forehand...

As for the blocking, I think I do this, too, so I suspect the reason is that they feel like they have a lot less time than they do to aim for the corners or cross court. Their regular partners are probably also less consistent, so just getting the ball back on the table has a good chance of them netting the point. They end up just passively blocking straight, which usually ends up being in a place I can continuously attack with my forehand.

And another very important reason is that I just included the more fun rallies in this video :) And since my forehand is more consistent, when we did have a longer rally, it was usually because it was me attacking with my FH and him blocking.

By the way, I saw the link to your TT club in Oregon. I've only been to the USA once (went to California), but if I ever get the chance, I'd love to visit! It's an inspiration to see that you accept anyone, even people who can't afford to pay. Looks like a great venue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic