Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The mobile phone stand and table tennis connection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The mobile phone stand and table tennis connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The mobile phone stand and table tennis connection
    Posted: 10/16/2017 at 1:00pm

I have posted  a few designs for topspin training  you can make yourself  (Ref:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79979&title=a-homemade-topspin-training-wheel

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80053&title=a-portable-device-for-topspin-chopping-training  ). 

A few days ago,  I  came across another interesting device on the net  and later on looked at my mobile phone  stand and BOOM !! lady Muse  came and gave me a kiss right on the lips ! LOL

Now I present to you guys a knock-off  you can make on your own ….

For this knock-off , it is crucial that you get a hold of a  goose-neck mobile phone stand .[ In Canada, I can get at a Dollar store  (i.e. Dollarama store) for 3.$ CAN ] (See Pic_01).

You also need to make some accessories (see Pic_02) , which consist of a wire frame inserted into a plastic tube  held in place by  a piece od wooden rod  (See Pic_03 & Pic_04).

Pic_05 shows the device installed on a dining table  ( or any flat surface where you can clip the device on ) .

This device is quite versatile as  you can practice topspin, backspin & chopping  at any angles & heights . 

Pic_01

Pic_02

Pic_03

Pic_04

Pic_05

Edited by mike1250 - 10/17/2017 at 10:12am
Sponsored Links

mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 9:22pm

I would like to update  some minor improvements on the device . Rather than using a plastic tube, I found using a spring door stop could offer some flexibility (see Pic_06) .  First, remove the rubber head of the spring door stop and  make the wire frame based on the given dimensions  (see Pic_07) .  Then insert the frame into the hollow body of the spring door stop (see Pic 08 & Pic_09) . You may need to wrap some masking tape around the leg of the frame before insertion to ensure a tight fit  .  Pic_10 shows the whole assembly screwed into   a piece of wooden rod  .

If you find the device a bit too flexible to your liking, you can tape a short metal wire ( i.e. coat hanger again J) to the spring door stop as a stabilizer .

You can see the complete device in this video clip :

Finally,  a short clip shows this device in action :

Pic_06

Pic_07

Pic_08

Pic_09

Pic_10

Edited by mike1250 - 10/21/2017 at 11:17pm
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2017 at 10:46am
Interesting stuff. At the moment I put a ball onto a smarties tube and try to spin it up with as fine a contact as possible but looks like an interesting alternative.
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Interesting stuff. At the moment I put a ball onto a smarties tube and try to spin it up with as fine a contact as possible but looks like an interesting alternative.

Actually, you can utilize the plastic tube of a used Bic ballpen in place of the spring door stop .

BTW,  rather than using the mobile phone stand, you can insert the whole assembly (i.e. ping-pong ball + wire frame  + plastic tube) into an empty  condensed milk can ( i.e. lon sữa bò ông Thọ ) then   fill it with concrete cement  . 

If you make six of them with different heights , you will have a perfect set of tool to improve your FH & BH  topspin strokes , just like the player in the clip  here :

Edited by mike1250 - 10/22/2017 at 1:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic