Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

blade difference explains spin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blade difference explains spin?
    Posted: 10/20/2017 at 11:18pm
As a beginner, while practicing FH counterhits (trying to emulate Pingskills),
my partner and I have the impression that my 3-year-old 1.8 red Vega Europe
on Stiga Allround NCT (155g bat) gets about the same spin as my
1/2-year-old max red Rakza 7 Soft on Stiga Allround Carbon Classic (158g bat).
My arm movement speed is below average (my guesstimate). I do get topspin.

Should I get my eyes checked, or can the blade difference explain this?
On the database, these two blades have very similar numbers,
while Rakza 7 Soft is rated spinier than Vega Europe; also my Rakza is
thicker and clearly less used.

Thanks all for the reply.
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 1:02am
If you both are doing flatter counter-hits you will not be seeing the full spin potential of either rubber.  Try doing some loops or at least heavy spin counter drives and see if there is more spin difference between the two rubbers.  

I have not used either blade, but generally speaking I would expect an all wood blade to be easier to spin with than a carbon blade.   Of course with good technique you can generate plenty of spin with either of those blades.

After you play more and try hitting some loops let us know if the spin stills stays about the same for each one.

Mark
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 11:07am
I can't say about these rubbers, but different blades can impart different amount of spin. I tested Stiga Allround Classic and Ovtcharov True Carbon with the same rubbers, on the same drill, same session and with the same partner. She said that I was getting more spin with Stiga Allround Classic setup, and I hadn't told her that I was using same rubbers for both setups and neither the blade names.

But another thing is important: I am a begineer too and I didn't notice difference on spin. If my partner hadn't told me about it (she is more experience than me), I wouldn't know. So there also might be a chance of you not noticing spin difference due to not having the necessary sensibility due to lack of experience, like what happened to me
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

As a beginner, while practicing FH counterhits (trying to emulate Pingskills),
my partner and I have the impression that my 3-year-old 1.8 red Vega Europe
on Stiga Allround NCT (155g bat) gets about the same spin as my
1/2-year-old max red Rakza 7 Soft on Stiga Allround Carbon Classic (158g bat).
My arm movement speed is below average (my guesstimate). I do get topspin.

Should I get my eyes checked, or can the blade difference explain this?
On the database, these two blades have very similar numbers,
while Rakza 7 Soft is rated spinier than Vega Europe; also my Rakza is
thicker and clearly less used.

Thanks all for the reply.

Definitely blades can make a big difference. In my case, I have far better control and spin with an all-wood blade close in, but at mid-distance I have to work far harder with an all-wood flexible blade than with carbon composite which stiffer and transfers more energy into the ball. It's a question of trade-offs. Getting a bit older, the extra zing of the composite is useful as a put away shot, otherwise I'm using lots of energy though I am much more accurate with an all-wood.

Trade-offs, trade-offs, trade-offs.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 12:18pm
In my opinion, spin generation is dependent on rubbers, blades, and whether you are making a low- or high-impact shot (e.g., soft loop against heavy BS vs fast loop drive).

Softer rubbers typically allow for 'easier' spin generation on low-impact shots than harder rubber (ball has an easier time to penetrate into the sponge), whereas harder rubbers can result in greater spin generation on shots played with high physical effort (with softer rubbers, such shots can result in bottoming out of the sponge)

Softer, more flexible blades (e.g., all-wood blades with relatively soft outer plies such as Butterfly Korbel), will give you slightly longer dwell time, i.e., increased contact between ball and paddle and slightly better spin generation on low-impact shots. Harder blades (e.g., all-wood blades with hard outer plies such as ebony or bloodwood, or most carbon-blades) will have a comparatively shorter dwell time, giving you more power and less spin on low-impact shots, but more spin on very high-impact shots.

This is probably why, very highly skilled players who can control such equipment, use relatively harder rubbers and blades, whereas beginners and intermediate players, benefit from softer blades and rubbers. Also, harder rubbers are less forgiving, i.e., you need to get the contact angle right, which requires foot footwork. With softer combinations you have a fraction more time to compensation for an sub-optimal contact angle and footwork. Finally, it is easier to block high-level loops with hard rubbers as they can better absorb the kinetic energy.

TMI 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 7:37pm
Yeah. Some combinations are better in spin generation when hitting either soft, mid-power or strong.. a certain combination may create a lot of spin for medium shots but less on harder shots etc
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2017 at 11:12pm
Again, thank you all for the replies. My shots are rather weak, which is why
keep my bat light and use medium-soft tensors. I borrowed bats from family
and tried a few more combinations, and most give me about the same spin; more
effort is indeed needed from non-tensors.

Just Fastarc G-1 red 1.8 on a Stiga Defensive NCT is a notch spinier;
but it could be either the more-flex blade or the rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic