Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koki Niwa chop block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koki Niwa chop block
    Posted: 10/22/2017 at 2:29am

Hi, I have several questions about Niwa's chopblock.  I really want to use it to change pace up in my game
what is the general swing pattern, angle of racket, and type of rubbers suitable for this stroke?
Thank you
Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2017 at 2:58pm
Just takes a fine touch and a quick brushing action. You need to absorb the incoming pace, especially if using grippy inverted rubber such as tenergy. The angle depends on the amount of spin already on the ball. If there's a lot of spin, you need to close the bat. Having said that, if there's a ton of spin you'd probably be better off just blocking it! 

I think it's easier to do without using much wrist to start with. I try to imagine a "punch" action of sorts. You just get the angle right, adjust grip tension, and punch across the ball trying to graze very finely for more spin or hitting slightly into the ball for more speed. I find it easiest to do (for right handers) when chopping to your far left backhand. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GHhdr63GLg
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2017 at 10:52pm
Jimmy Butler once donated 45 min of his time trying to teach me that. I could never do it well enough to pull it off in a match.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 11:18am
I can do it in matches and it does slow down the pace very suddenly, it's just that the shot goes high unlike koki and MA long's chop block
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by shinchan1506217 shinchan1506217 wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Hi, I have several questions about Niwa's chopblock.  I really want to use it to change pace up in my game
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">what is the general swing pattern, angle of racket, and type of rubbers suitable for this stroke?
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Thank you

i ve been doing time ago that watching kongs videos
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 12:22pm

I can do it in matches and it does slow down the pace very suddenly, it's just that the shot goes high unlike koki and MA long's chop block

That's generally the problem with chopping over all! Requires softer touch and possibly closing racket angle more. Or quicker brushing if the spin is heavy.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 1:08pm
My friend and I practice this shot all the time.  It's so awesome to pull off a really nice chop block.  It leaves the opponent so confused. lol
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 1:10pm
No one has mentioned yet where on the paddle to chop the ball. The ball should make contact with the half of the paddle that is closer to your index finger (further from thumb) on a backhand chop-block.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 2:26pm
easy peasy it's my trademark shot
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Jimmy Butler once donated 45 min of his time trying to teach me that. I could never do it well enough to pull it off in a match.

niwa is very skillfull but his technique is infwrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by SmileTT SmileTT wrote:

No one has mentioned yet where on the paddle to chop the ball. The ball should make contact with the half of the paddle that is closer to your index finger (further from thumb) on a backhand chop-block.

Thanks for this, I'll try it next time and report my results.  Can anyone explain ball placement on the racket and how it affects chops / chop blocks?  I feel like a ball closer to the index finger will not have as much spin
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2017 at 10:53pm

Originally posted by SmileTT SmileTT wrote:

Thanks for this, I'll try it next time and report my results.  Can anyone explain ball placement on the racket and how it affects chops / chop blocks?  I feel like a ball closer to the index finger will not have as much spin

Balls will have more more spin near the end of the blade (furthest point from the hand) due to higher torque, if you use your wrist. This is important especially when serving. 

But when I chop-block like Niwa, I will probably hit the ball on the racket on a spot near my index finger, just above it. Try to see it in the video around 11 sec.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic