Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

729 Battle II Rubber Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

How does the rubber compare with Big Dipper?

I went to battle 2 from big dipper. I liked B2 better. BD was more obviously boosted and I thought battle 2 had less sheet to anger variation. I have not tried the provincial version and Zeropong no longer carries B2.
Sponsored Links

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 7:31pm
You just get it from ali express. Fast and free shipment.

Honestly after months of using it im just now understanding that im not close to really unlocking its potential. It requires better technique, more power than i can properly put on the ball in a controlled and consistent way.
Im really looking forward to improving and seeing what a good quality hard rubber like this can do
FelixTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FelixTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:35pm
Lightzy, what about the counter looping  at middle distance?
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by FelixTT FelixTT wrote:

Lightzy, what about the counter looping  at middle distance?

Only with good technique and physical fitness. I wouldn't recommend this or any hard/tacky rubber to anyone who can't actually take advantage from it, so it really depends on you.

I think the point of this (and other hard tacky rubbers) is to end the point quickly. To get a short serve with more spin than expected and end the point on the third or fifth ball, near the table. Also helps a lot with serve return.
If you get to counterlooping away from the table you'll need to really engage the sponge and for that you need power and rotation, cuz it's a hard sponge.
I can say that if you CAN do it consistently, then it'll be a killer shot. Because when you fully engage a hard sponge like that.... That stores a lot of energy. Much more than these flimsy soft euro rubbers :P

That said, I personally am very far away from being consistently powerful with it. It's not easy at all.

Edited by Lightzy - 12/14/2017 at 9:52pm
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 9:30pm

Provincial Battle II, haven't put it on yet. I can't really tell the two sheets apart. Provincial has a bit more of a dome out of the packet, which is vacuum sealed. Hardness use different scales (47 degrees vs 39 degrees for provincial). Will try them later, probably not going to switch for a while as I am mid season in my league
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2018 at 1:52am
My experience with these rubbers, and Fastarc G-1 / MX-S for that matter, has been that you need to either play very close to the table at all times as Lightzy said, or have a straight arm Chinese style stroke when looping. I hit the ball hard but with a European style stroke and I can't seem to activate these rubbers at all, my Chinese friend is much smaller and weaker than me but plays with a straight arm and rotates his full body weight into the shot and with Battle II, G-1 and MX-S he gets incredible spinny loops from 2-3 metres back which dive late on the table, kick off the bounce and are very difficult to return. This style of play seems lower percentage to me as you play the ball further from your body so the chance of getting the bat angle wrong or missing your timing is higher, it demands more from the player. The fact that Dima gave Hurricane a go and from what I saw wasn't able to adjust to be as effective as he was with T05, told me with my comparatively sparse training I was never going to learn how to use these rubbers either.      
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2018 at 11:27am
I also decided to give 47 deg black Battle 2 a chance.
It is mounted to a Fang Bo B2 blade. Other side has H3N 41 deg.

First impressions: Tackiness is good, a little more than H3N. Sponge seems to be quite hard and dense for a 47 deg rubber.

Playing impressions: It works well close to the table. Medium throw (slightly less than H3N), good spin, topsheet feels ok when brushing. The best thing are slow and spinny loops with low effort. It is also fast enough, even in 47 deg. Serving was good, but only when brushing serving slow, fast sidespin was worse than H3N. But from half distance, it does not have enough power, even with proper technique. H3 Neo is much better here, although it is much harder, so that was to be expected. When comparing both rubbers, surprisingly, H3N 41 deg does not feel harder at all. Ok, it was boosted before, but the difference in elasticity is still very significant. B2 has much number feeling. Plays more linear, but lacks the high gear. I imagine to overcome this weakness, one has to get a harder version (49 deg or 39 prov) and use booster, so the rubber will not be much harder but much more elastic.

So all in all, a more controlled, softer and easier to play version of H3N with some weaknesses, but still recommended for players who stick to the table at all times. Kinda reminds me of a softer TG2 actually.

I will keep this and discard the H3N, because I am more consistent with it. Now it only has to win against fake H3 national, but I doubt it can, because that rubber is just even more linear and never tops out no matter how hard you hit, which enourages more physical effort. Hitting hard with H3N or B2 is just nowhere as rewarding or consistent as with fake H3 national. Very underrated rubber. But we'll see.

EDIT: Ok, as I thought, H3 nat is better. More linear and higher throw. The FB2 has lower throw, so B2 is not the best combination. But B2 might work quite well on more flexbile blades with higher throw and elasticity than my B2.

Edited by Hozuki - 03/07/2018 at 4:57pm
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 11:13am
Anybody want to briefly compare the B2 to its provincial version?
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 6:30am
Hehe the more you try these different rubber styles the more it feels akin to playing a musical instrument.
Some people take to guitar, others to piano, others to violin etc, and then they learn totally different physical skills which become ingrained. The story about the small and weak chinese guy with the technique adapted for this specific instrument getting great results was very fun to read.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

How does the rubber compare with Big Dipper?

I went to battle 2 from big dipper. I liked B2 better. BD was more obviously boosted and I thought battle 2 had less sheet to anger variation. I have not tried the provincial version and Zeropong no longer carries B2.

does it last? how B2 compare to tinarc 3 o skyline 3 60? I m looking for something grippy midfast that last like 8months
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 10:18am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

bump
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 11:19am

bump

Hi Tom

I played with Battle II provincial for about 3-4 weeks, and here were my thoughts

Pros:
- Great for power looping, just explosive power. I was able to counter-loop with one of the coaches at my club and he commented on how loop quality was.

- Enough elasticity for fast-attack rallies close to table. 

Weaknesses

- It was less tacky than Battle II. This required slight technique modification for service and service receive. I felt my service was worse due to the slightly more bouncy sponge and less tacky surface. Receives and short pushes were not as good due to less tackiness

- Chopping was worse, I usually put a chop or two to break pace and Battle II provincial failed to deliver the kind of chops that I usually do with Battle II regular. I'd say maybe only 70% of the underspin power of regular Battle II

In the end, I switched back to Battle II, I think for more power I would just opt for a faster blade. I can already put away many shots using regular Battle II on a $5 blade, so I believe a faster blade will give the power I need without sacrificing all the other things I mentioned.

I think there will be lots of players here that will enjoy Battle II provincial, If you love that boosted feeling chinese rubber, it is definitely the best for the modern ABS ball when it comes to counter-looping rallies from the table.

Edited by jk92 - 03/12/2018 at 11:23am
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by jk92 jk92 wrote:

bump

Hi Tom

I played with Battle II provincial for about 3-4 weeks, and here were my thoughts

Pros:
- Great for power looping, just explosive power. I was able to counter-loop with one of the coaches at my club and he commented on how loop quality was.

- Enough elasticity for fast-attack rallies close to table. 

Weaknesses

- It was less tacky than Battle II. This required slight technique modification for service and service receive. I felt my service was worse due to the slightly more bouncy sponge and less tacky surface. Receives and short pushes were not as good due to less tackiness

- Chopping was worse, I usually put a chop or two to break pace and Battle II provincial failed to deliver the kind of chops that I usually do with Battle II regular. I'd say maybe only 70% of the underspin power of regular Battle II

In the end, I switched back to Battle II, I think for more power I would just opt for a faster blade. I can already put away many shots using regular Battle II on a $5 blade, so I believe a faster blade will give the power I need without sacrificing all the other things I mentioned.

thanks, seems like the provincial has the qualities I am looking for (vs. the II) .  will get a sheet with my next order.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 2:42pm
Jk92 or Lightzy, does the II or the Provincial need to be tuned?  FYR I sometimes use H3 and for me it needs to be tuned .
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 10:28pm
Regular Battle II probably will benefit from boosting, I didn't see a need to boost Provincial though. I think based from characteristics and certainly smell, that it already had booster
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 10:54pm

Regular Battle II probably will benefit from boosting, I didn't see a need to boost Provincial though. I think based from characteristics and certainly smell, that it already had booster
I guess it does not hurt to try it without booster first. Thanks.
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 4:40am
Hi, I bought me a sheet of battle 2 based on this review. So far I like it better than H3. It’s easy to rally, good spin on serves, easy to serve. Overall a good tacky rubber

Will come back to say more about it when I’ve used it a little while longer.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 11:17am

I guess it does not hurt to try it without booster first. Thanks.
had a few shots with the B2 Prov 39 yesterday.  Does not need boosting, that is true.  Will see how it goes.
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 11:41am
@tom good to hear!

I received two more sheets of Battle II regular, and the tackiness was less than my original sheet (which I still play with)

A ~5 month old sheet of Battle II is still very tacky (I use protector sheets and Revolution Rejuvenator/Retackifier religiously)
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 4:33pm

@tom good to hear!

I received two more sheets of Battle II regular, and the tackiness was less than my original sheet (which I still play with)

A ~5 month old sheet of Battle II is still very tacky (I use protector sheets and Revolution Rejuvenator/Retackifier religiously)

Clean the rubber with a few drops of water, wipe, dry, put on protector sheet and wait a few days before using it, I think you'll see its tackiness can actually INCREASE over time if you do this.

Tacky rubbers seem to need some rest after use. Possibly for all the strands to uncoil a bit.
A cool place also helps (thermodynamics and entropy at work?)

But it's true, I have two sheets of B2 which are WILDLY tacky, more than all the rest. I think it's more a special circumstances with these two sheets rather than a problem with the other sheets :)
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

@tom good to hear!

Clean the rubber with a few drops of water, wipe, dry, put on protector sheet and wait a few days before using it, I think you'll see its tackiness can actually INCREASE over time if you do this.

Tacky rubbers seem to need some rest after use. Possibly for all the strands to uncoil a bit.
A cool place also helps (thermodynamics and entropy at work?)

But it's true, I have two sheets of B2 which are WILDLY tacky, more than all the rest. I think it's more a special circumstances with these two sheets rather than a problem with the other sheets :)

with some soap it will hold a ball several seconds
gergely001 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gergely001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 9:52am
Hi,

Can someone compare it directly to Hurricane 8 Hard?
Speed, spin, tackiness.
Thanks.

Edited by gergely001 - 05/09/2018 at 9:56am
Kind Regards,
Gergely
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:07am
anyone have experience with the BII Prov - player version (vs commercial version) being sold on PROTT?
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by gergely001 gergely001 wrote:

Hi,

Can someone compare it directly to Hurricane 8 Hard?
Speed, spin, tackiness.
Thanks.

I have used both, Hurricane 8 is bouncier on hitting, the tackiness is similar, though I have found Battle II to be a little tackier. Battle II has higher spin, where as I feel Hurricane has a little more speed.

Based on my technique, Battle II is better suited, it has immense control yet lots of power and spin. I believe it is more linear in speed which helps. I didn't like the feel of Hurricane 8, it felt like a springiness, not very chinese kind of sponge, where as Battle 2 has a more 'alive' chinese sponge (for comparison,Hurricane 3 feels like a 'dead' chinese sponge)
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 2:19pm

anyone have experience with the BII Prov - player version (vs commercial version) being sold on PROTT?

bump
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 5:16pm
There is a dude playing the player-version with blue sponge and says it's 20% better, though I'm not sure what that means exactly and I can't find it on aliexpress (and I order only on ali because of the free shipping)
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 6:18pm

bump

I have tested the prov version from PROTT but I can't compare it to the commercial BII. Compared to provincial H3N 39º it feels a degree or two softer (too soft for my taste by the way) and it also lacks a little bit of the high gears on full impact loops. I would say the throw was a little bit lower but not dramatically. Spin and control on loops was very good but lacked power.
Since I didn't like it that much I can offer mine for sale.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

There is a dude playing the player-version with blue sponge and says it's 20% better, though I'm not sure what that means exactly and I can't find it on aliexpress (and I order only on ali because of the free shipping)
interesting- it has blue sponge - maybe like DHS B.S.?
sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 12:46pm
Does anyone know what happen to Battle 2 in US stores. I saw they sold out. Is it “hot” item or will be discontinuous soon?
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 12:15am
Getting crazy now? There's a provincial golden edition now

https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=ProBattle2Golden
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic